blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:00:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live tournament - best line to take?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live tournament - best line to take?  (Read 2366 times)
nlfreddie

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:56 AM »

This hand is from a £150 live tournament in London. Discussed it with some close friends, but would very much appreciate the views of people on blondepoker.
Day 1 maybe 6 hours in. Deep structure. My image is fairly loose/aggressive despite being short stacked.
Blinds are 500/1000 with a 100ante. My stack is 17k. Playing 9 handed.
Dealt  on the button.  Action folds round to an older man in the cut off who limps. I have seen him raise premium hands earlier.
I make it 3000.
A loose player calls from the SB, BB folds and CO calls. Both have me covered.

Pot is about 11k, I have 14k back.

Two Clubs    Both players check to me. I think for 10seconds then move all in.

Small blind thinks for some time before folding. Cut off quickly calls with  . I don't improve.

Questions:
What is the best play pre flop? With 88 should I just shove pre with 17bigs after a cut off limp which is very rarely strong?
Having made it 3000 pre, should I bet small on the flop and take it from there?
My logic was that my hand probably looks like AK/AQ when I quickly shove the flop, so I can get called by worse. And there are a lot of chips out there, given my chip stack. I imagine I have the best hand fairy often so am chipping up relatively risk free?
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:59:07 AM »

This hand is from a £150 live tournament in London. Discussed it with some close friends, but would very much appreciate the views of people on blondepoker.
Day 1 maybe 6 hours in. Deep structure. My image is fairly loose/aggressive despite being short stacked.
Blinds are 500/1000 with a 100ante. My stack is 17k. Playing 9 handed.
Dealt  on the button.  Action folds round to an older man in the cut off who limps. I have seen him raise premium hands earlier.
I make it 3000.
A loose player calls from the SB, BB folds and CO calls. Both have me covered.

Pot is about 11k, I have 14k back.

Two Clubs    Both players check to me. I think for 10seconds then move all in.

Small blind thinks for some time before folding. Cut off quickly calls with  . I don't improve.

Questions:
What is the best play pre flop? With 88 should I just shove pre with 17bigs after a cut off limp which is very rarely strong?
Having made it 3000 pre, should I bet small on the flop and take it from there?
My logic was that my hand probably looks like AK/AQ when I quickly shove the flop, so I can get called by worse. And there are a lot of chips out there, given my chip stack. I imagine I have the best hand fairy often so am chipping up relatively risk free?

I would be shoving pre, you have 17bb no need to complicate things.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »

Yeh just stick it in pre. It's a very profitable jam and 88 is too vulnerable to take to a flop with this stack.

As played, you did the right thing sticking the rest in on the flop - a good example of why you should jam pre.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

Jam pre perfect stack size the only play to think about here. Your reasoning of not jamming pre seems opposite (no offence intended) you mention that you haven't seen him limp monsters which is more reason to shove. I'd prob shove like 44/55 + kq/aq might even be wider still

Post flop if I'm honest I don't agree with shove mainly as you are turning ur hand into a bluff which doesn't really make sense here, it can look strong but not really gettying many better hands to fold a bet of 3500 would do the trick

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
nlfreddie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »

Thanks a lot for your comments - very useful.
Seems obvious now that shoving pre is by far the best play. Too vulnerable a hand to be raising small pre flop for value with that chip stack. Shoving may also get looked up by small pocket pairs by the cut off, which would be a brilliant result.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: