blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:56:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  10 most compelling news stories during your life?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 most compelling news stories during your life?  (Read 10399 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »

Far too many events for me to even contemplate listing them.

Tony , were the murder of Mountbatten and his grandson ,followed the next day by the massacre of soldiers at Warren Point close to making your list ?

Very much so.

I think, on reflection, I'd include the NI situation generally, which would include those.

I did write...

The troubles in Ireland (may have to find room for that)

There were so many dreadful moments associated with the situation, the two you mention, the Omaha bombing, the mainland bombs, the two Army guys who got beaten to death, Mountbatten, Warren Point, the Brighton bombing & attempt to kill Lady Thatcher (so nearly succeeded), & so on, as well as the casualties on the "other side".  There was no "breaking news" things then, but I almost used to dread watching the news.  The Gerry Adams story in itself is an incredible one, from deemed terrorist to Statesman, & likewise, the Ian Paisley role.  

The more I think about it, the more I think it should be to the top of my list, it dominated over 30 years of my life.  

The whole thing was so ghastly, in so many ways. Without diminishing the deaths of any of the Military, it was the death of so many innocent civilians that seemed so unjust.

It'd odd to see the Lady Di story in the same Top 10 really, but that is the basis of the question - compelling stories in our lifetime. Both stories were, to me, utterly compelling, but in totally different ways.

I can remember EXACTLY where I was, & who I was with, & what time it was, when I fist saw that footage of the two British Soldiers beaten to death. Ditto the Lady Diana death.

If I submitted my list again, it would be very different I think.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »

On the topic of Diana:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33927354

No lessons learnt

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2015, 04:19:48 PM »

On the topic of Diana:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33927354

No lessons learnt
Hiding in a car boot to secretly take photos of a child is disgraceful.
Don't we have any treason laws anymore?

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: