blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:33:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 534402 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: April 17, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

2x5 60kg on the bench yesterday. That's a huge improvement! The energy I found might be in part due to the large glass of coke I consumed 15 mins prior to training Cheesy went for the 3rd set too but was gg after 3 reps. Was pretty pleased though.

PT doesn't suggest going for new bench PB's every week. Instead we'll hit dumbbells for our next session before benching 60kg again the week after.

Feels like personal bias there. But as long as you keep putting KGs through your chest you are gonna be fine.

I see no harm in doing 1x5 every week then volume elsewhere. I think its so important to keep adding 1.25s for as long as you can not just for confidence but to keep you neurologically adapting to a heavier stimulus. You don't need the volume through the bench, can get it through accessories. But if you want to squat better, you don't squat one week leg press the next.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:31 PM »

I had every intention of doing 3x5 Rack Pulls at 200 for the next few weeks as I build up grip and technique.

Added up the weights wrong and did 3x5 210 instead, but I will stick at 200 for the next few weeks as I A) get lighter, and B) slightly less fuelled. Annoys me so much I can't hold it for five too.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 18, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »

2x5 60kg on the bench yesterday. That's a huge improvement! The energy I found might be in part due to the large glass of coke I consumed 15 mins prior to training Cheesy went for the 3rd set too but was gg after 3 reps. Was pretty pleased though.

PT doesn't suggest going for new bench PB's every week. Instead we'll hit dumbbells for our next session before benching 60kg again the week after.

Feels like personal bias there. But as long as you keep putting KGs through your chest you are gonna be fine.

I see no harm in doing 1x5 every week then volume elsewhere. I think its so important to keep adding 1.25s for as long as you can not just for confidence but to keep you neurologically adapting to a heavier stimulus. You don't need the volume through the bench, can get it through accessories. But if you want to squat better, you don't squat one week leg press the next.

Not too sure about 'fine', this definitely doesn't seem like a good idea if you want to improve your bench. If you're happy as it is then not a problem but if you have a specific goal to improve your bench you need to be doing it more often than once a fortnight for 15 reps.

Agree that you should be adding the 1.25s whenever you can as long as your form stays the same. Why would you do 3 x 5 @ 60kg if you could do 3 x 5 @ 62.5kg with exactly the same form and bar speed?

Volume PRs are very different to 1RM attempts. You wouldn't want to hit a 1RM every week but adding a tiny bit to your 3 x 5 every week as long as your form stays the same has to be a good idea.

Really think you should push him to let you bench every week. Use DB press as an accessory movement perhaps so you get to do 2 x 5 bench then 2 x 5 DB press.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »

I had every intention of doing 3x5 Rack Pulls at 200 for the next few weeks as I build up grip and technique.

Added up the weights wrong and did 3x5 210 instead, but I will stick at 200 for the next few weeks as I A) get lighter, and B) slightly less fuelled. Annoys me so much I can't hold it for five too.

Getting strong there mate. Can't beat a mistake when it goes the right way.

I missed my deadlift target last night so will have to drop back next week. I did 3 x 5 at 127.5kg but then only hit 4 on the fourth before I felt the tiniest of tweaks in my back. Did the right thing and stopped which I was pleased with myself for maintaining discipline.

I've been feeling really tired all week and I think I have a bit of a cold so not really surprised to struggle. Also did an extra set as I did the same as you and loaded up wrong, thought it felt easy but then it should as I missed 2 x 10kg plates......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »

Not too sure about 'fine', this definitely doesn't seem like a good idea if you want to improve your bench. If you're happy as it is then not a problem but if you have a specific goal to improve your bench you need to be doing it more often than once a fortnight for 15 reps.

Agree that you should be adding the 1.25s whenever you can as long as your form stays the same. Why would you do 3 x 5 @ 60kg if you could do 3 x 5 @ 62.5kg with exactly the same form and bar speed?

Volume PRs are very different to 1RM attempts. You wouldn't want to hit a 1RM every week but adding a tiny bit to your 3 x 5 every week as long as your form stays the same has to be a good idea.

Really think you should push him to let you bench every week. Use DB press as an accessory movement perhaps so you get to do 2 x 5 bench then 2 x 5 DB press.

Maybe fine is a bit blaze, but unless you are 1-2 years deep into consistent exercise most things will probably work to reap the beginner gains. I think you should bench for the movement path etc as its different to DBs but getting a constant increase in KG will take someone from 60 to 80-100.

Definitely not ideal tho, want to get better and bench, the first port of call is bench more.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 18, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »

Getting strong there mate. Can't beat a mistake when it goes the right way.

I missed my deadlift target last night so will have to drop back next week. I did 3 x 5 at 127.5kg but then only hit 4 on the fourth before I felt the tiniest of tweaks in my back. Did the right thing and stopped which I was pleased with myself for maintaining discipline.

I've been feeling really tired all week and I think I have a bit of a cold so not really surprised to struggle. Also did an extra set as I did the same as you and loaded up wrong, thought it felt easy but then it should as I missed 2 x 10kg plates......

Soul destroying when the mistake goes the wrong way.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »

Glad I posted that, cheers for the advice! Makes sense that as a beginner I'll gain no matter what I do, but yeah if I want to bench more probably the best thing to do is bench more. Increasing my numbers is def my primary goal atm.

Seeing him today so will let him know what you guys have said. We're doing a back session which I'm starting to think I can probably do on my own. Might be worth the £17 just to get me through the door after work though.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »

Glad I posted that, cheers for the advice! Makes sense that as a beginner I'll gain no matter what I do, but yeah if I want to bench more probably the best thing to do is bench more. Increasing my numbers is def my primary goal atm.

Seeing him today so will let him know what you guys have said. We're doing a back session which I'm starting to think I can probably do on my own. Might be worth the £17 just to get me through the door after work though.

I think bench is one of the hardest technical movements too, outside of OL. I think people really underestimate how full body it is. So practising the motion is going to be huge. But you're right, as a beginner you are just going to grow by going. The problem lies when you become an intermediate/advanced and haven't nailed the movement pattern and you just hit the brick wall.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 22, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »

3x5 100kg on squats today. Would normally have stopped there, but i was encouraged by a friend to give 110kg a try and was pleasantly surprised to get 3 decent reps out. I've always been relatively strong on squats but never normally push myself like overly hard as i'm not comfortable failing (i've actually never failed a squat rep in my life so far). Now i'm curious to see where my 1RM is on that. As it though i'm very happy with my progress so no rush and no need to give myself a pointless injury by ego lifting.

Chest day tomorrow. Let's see if i can improve on last week's performance.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »

PT has got me lon ots of conditioning .. lots of ascending and descending ladders i.e.  something like 25-20-15-10-5 and reverse say 5-10-15-20-25 ...ovehead lunges with olympic bar and full chest to floor burpees..no stopping ( well a few hands on kness breathers wondering why i actually enjoy this hell ) then EMoms..basically alternating excercises changing every minute.. you complete the excercise then what ever is left of the minute thats your rest period..then you start the next excercise etc usually six rounds..12 minutes ..lastest one is goblet squats with 30kg dumbell followed by hammer curl to overhead press 12 reps each.

Its all a new kind of hell..but i flipping love it.. looking to get shredded for summer.. not doing much strength work.. my bench is pretty pitiful ( i think ..never been much of a bencher )at 100kg..seem to be a natural squatter ( low centre of gravity ..i.e im a short arse )  currently doing :

10 X 80kg
10 X 100Kg
10 X 120KG
10 X 130KG
squeezing 6 at 140KG... not too sure how far to push..i think 160kg is within range but im worried about injury.. ego over age Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 23, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »

PT has got me lon ots of conditioning .. lots of ascending and descending ladders i.e.  something like 25-20-15-10-5 and reverse say 5-10-15-20-25 ...ovehead lunges with olympic bar and full chest to floor burpees..no stopping ( well a few hands on kness breathers wondering why i actually enjoy this hell ) then EMoms..basically alternating excercises changing every minute.. you complete the excercise then what ever is left of the minute thats your rest period..then you start the next excercise etc usually six rounds..12 minutes ..lastest one is goblet squats with 30kg dumbell followed by hammer curl to overhead press 12 reps each.

Its all a new kind of hell..but i flipping love it.. looking to get shredded for summer.. not doing much strength work.. my bench is pretty pitiful ( i think ..never been much of a bencher )at 100kg..seem to be a natural squatter ( low centre of gravity ..i.e im a short arse )  currently doing :

10 X 80kg
10 X 100Kg
10 X 120KG
10 X 130KG
squeezing 6 at 140KG... not too sure how far to push..i think 160kg is within range but im worried about injury.. ego over age Smiley

I'm glad I am a raspberry Cheesy

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 23, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »

3x5 100kg on squats today. Would normally have stopped there, but i was encouraged by a friend to give 110kg a try and was pleasantly surprised to get 3 decent reps out. I've always been relatively strong on squats but never normally push myself like overly hard as i'm not comfortable failing (i've actually never failed a squat rep in my life so far). Now i'm curious to see where my 1RM is on that. As it though i'm very happy with my progress so no rush and no need to give myself a pointless injury by ego lifting.

Chest day tomorrow. Let's see if i can improve on last week's performance.

Use the momentum, I think the buzz of a PB in one area can really help with others!

Fine line too I am guilty of being the other side of the line and being too cautious, but if you don't push forward progress is tough.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 23, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »

10 X 80kg
10 X 100Kg
10 X 120KG
10 X 130KG

Thats v good numbers conditioning and strength wise!

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 24, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »

10 X 80kg
10 X 100Kg
10 X 120KG
10 X 130KG

Lol Marky.. you do make me chuckle.. fantastic attitude !

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 24, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »

10 X 80kg
10 X 100Kg
10 X 120KG
10 X 130KG

Lol Marky.. you do make me chuckle.. fantastic attitude !

Cheesy

Hurt me , and I was only reading about it!

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: