blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Who came up with this list, & when?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who came up with this list, & when?  (Read 4518 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:26 PM »

A very snobby and outdated practice. Pointless, too. It should be scrapped.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 11:51:22 PM »

In favour of what exactly?

Personally don't think it's anywhere near snobby enough. Should just be solicitors. accountants, doctors and a few others.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 09:37:31 AM »

Personally don't think it's anywhere near snobby enough. Should just be solicitors. accountants, doctors and a few others.

Most people would either have to fork out £100 or so or wait two weeks just to get a passport signed. 

Get rid all together, it's a dated idea.   Everything about people is available these days, it doesn't need a signature on the back of a passport photo.

BulldozerD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »

Just about anyone can call themselves an "accountant" these days, many accountants aren't qualified as such
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »

Most people would either have to fork out £100 or so or wait two weeks just to get a passport signed. 

Get rid all together, it's a dated idea.   Everything about people is available these days, it doesn't need a signature on the back of a passport photo.

It gets worse.

A Passport Photo is not much bigger than a postage stamp, but the countersignatory has to write this on the back of it.....

"I certify that this is a true likeness of Mr John Smith (then his signature), Anthony Person, 4 May 2012"

You'd need a degree in small writing to do that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »

I am fairly sure it used to be like this and much shorter.   I think I used to sign them as an "other professional person" or similar.  I am guessing maybe two thirds of those didn't use to be there. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »

Just about anyone can call themselves an "accountant" these days, many accountants aren't qualified as such

Eh?  You can call yourself whatever you want on your name tag, but you can't sign off legal documents as a accountant unless you are qualified.
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »

Eh?  You can call yourself whatever you want on your name tag, but you can't sign off legal documents as a accountant unless you are qualified.

Best not to get into the old qualified vs unqualified accountants argument as it can take up many pages of a forum (admittedly an Accountancy forum), but they normally want you to put your letters after your name to confirm you are a qualified accountant and then I guess they can check you out at your bodies website. I've done it for a number of people and don't charge just suggest they make a charitable donation if done via work rather than for friends.

I think some form of verification makes sense as it just provides an extra albeit fairly low level of security.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »

Disagree. What makes them better than, for example a Senior Digital Marketing Manager for a large Corporate or an Ecommerce Director in an SME?

In favour of...using the freely available paid for background and reference checking services avaialble in the market.  Just cos Doctor Harold Shipman of Hyde says Hilda was a good egg shouldn't make her eligible for a passport renewal.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »

I've signed a few but never been contacted to verify any of them
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: