blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Making a Murderer - Discussion thread (DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT WATCHED IT ALL)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making a Murderer - Discussion thread (DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT WATCHED IT ALL)  (Read 11988 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »

Which actor would play Steven Avery in any Hollywood adaptation of Making A Murderer? http://btfr.co/AMurderer 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 12:49:37 PM »

From the reddit post, lol

(Note that this last link comes from a website that, irritatingly, replaces every instance of "ass" with "DorkFish", so Fassbender comes out "FDorkfishbender. Why, website, why???)

Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 04:22:36 AM »

I found the defence lawyers investigator even worse than the lawyer if that were possible. Even in his testimony seemed pleased to be basically testifying for the prosecution. Like tighty said - it was just jaw droppingly obvious that Brendan had no clue what was going on when he asked if he could leave the police station in half an hour

Yeah, the co-erced police confession was bad enough but when he was trying to tell the investigator the truth and the investigator told him to change the story and draw pictures it is pretty unbeleivable how this can be on video and not have more weight with the jury.  FWIW, in the UK Brendan would not have been prosecuted like any normal person as he would be classed as having learning disabilities.  Feel bad for him even just for the amount of time he has done in jail already.

Loads of stuff just doesnt add up if he actually did do it, like the blood in the car, if he went to the bother to clean the car to the point there was none of his DNA or fingerprints inside the car elsewhere then surely he would see and clean the blood?  If he was wearing gloves or something then there wouldve been no blood as the only cut or scratch he had was on his finger.  If he supposedly killer her in the garage and then cleaned up all the blood after, then how is there no trace of the blood but the garage is still filthy?  It obv hadnt been cleaned or it would be clean!

It just seems incredibly stupid for someone about to win millions in a lawsuit and is engaged to kill someone like that at that stage in their life, especially after wrongfully doing 18 years in jail already and knowing exactly what jail is like.  And if he did do it it seems beyond stupid to just park the car on the property and keep her stuff lying around.

The majority of the evidence just doesnt make sense, nothing absolutely pins the murder on him and with the wrongful involvement of the police etc I find it crazy that a jury could find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.  Apparently after using all their veto's in the jury picking process the defence were left with included the wife of 1 of the county sheriffs and someone that worked in the justice department.  According to the excused juror, the initial vote they took had 3 thinking he was guilty, 7 innocent and some undecideds.  It sounds like probably those jurors were convinced he was guilty from the start and were never gonna change their mind and the other jurors eventually compromised/changed their decision just to get the trial over with as they had been debating it for days without hope of the initial 3 changing their mind.

The scariest thing is just how much the law can get away with if they chose to screw you over and the lengths people will go to to avoid blame for something, the people involved in the original case have potentially sent an innocent man to jail for the 2nd time, ensuring he will spend more than half of his total life behind bars and sending a 16 year old to jail for the majority of his life too just to avoid being pointed out as not doing their job correctly in 1985.  Avery had a lawsuit that couldve potentially bankrupted the whole county as the insurance didnt cover it, the conspiracy to set him up couldve really come from higher up than the police force........

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 10:38:38 PM »

Just finished watching this - managed to avoid reading/hearing anything about the story or the outcome beforehand and haven't (yet) looked into the case further.

I found myself at points during watching finding myself suspicious of the victim's brother - does anyone think there was a deliberate attempt by the film makers to draw the viewer in that direction?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »

Like jakally, I can open now open this thread.

Wow incredible documentary/footage/viewing

The video of Brendan writing his confession with Mr.defence investigator was jar dropping...at this point I thought is this real....or a film! Of course this leads on to how on earth Brendan doesn't get a re trail.

Now obviously going to look at missing evidence...thanks Andrew!,,,,and prob still wont know which way to think.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »

Just finished watching this - managed to avoid reading/hearing anything about the story or the outcome beforehand and haven't (yet) looked into the case further.

I found myself at points during watching finding myself suspicious of the victim's brother - does anyone think there was a deliberate attempt by the film makers to draw the viewer in that direction?

yes! thats what I thought the ending was going to be.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »

I don't think it was deliberate. I don't remember any insinuation, even a slight one. I could well have overlooked something.

It did cross my mind, albeit very briefly. Must be incredibly hard to sit through a long trial like that and being constantly hounded by the press for comments.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »

I don't think it was deliberate. I don't remember any insinuation, even a slight one. I could well have overlooked something.

It did cross my mind, albeit very briefly. Must be incredibly hard to sit through a long trial like that and being constantly hounded by the press for comments.

I dunno - I think the implications were very subtle and not directly made in the commentary, but they were there.

I'm guessing this guy, as the family's spokesperson, spoke to the press many, many times over the course of the trial.  All the clips we saw though seemed to follow where we'd been shown some pretty questionable evidence, and he was referring to that saying something along the lines of 'that evidence is solid, they are banged to rights'.  That surely raises questions in the viewer's mind as to whether he is hearing/seeing the same thing as us in that particular regard and really wants justice for his sister or if he just wants these men sent down.

One particular one I remember was in reference to the Dassey confession tape (the 'what did you do to her head?, one) where he said something along the lines of 'once the jury see that there will be no doubt that he's guilty).  A reporter then asked him if he'd seen the video, to which he replied 'no' and she pulled a silly screwed up face behind him.

There was also a clip in one of the last few shows, I think it was at one of Dassey's appeal hearings, where a wide angle shot showed the family leaving the court room afterwards and he seemed to be laughing to himself - I already had in my mind at this point that we were being made to think suspiciously of him so was probably scrutinising him more than I otherwise would have done.

Unless the intention was to sew a seed of doubt in the viewer's mind over this guy I can't see what those particular clips contributed to the programme. 

All that aside, the media circus was just farcical and i don't see how either of them could have hoped to have a fair trial in those circumstances. Perhaps I'm being naive but I can't help but think (and hope, actually) that if they were tried over here based on the same evidence they would be free men - then again I would also hope that the investigations and evidence gathering would have been a lot more professional too.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

Which actor would play Steven Avery in any Hollywood adaptation of Making A Murderer? http://btfr.co/AMurderer 

Wot no Leo?  A shoe in I'd have thought.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »

Was he really stupid enough to park the RAV4 on the outskirts of their yard,barely covered and easily spotted when he had forty acres to hide it in, not forgetting the fact he had a car crusher on site? There's lots that doesn't add up for me in this and I couldn't have convicted when presented with this evidence. The syringe hole in the purple topped vial should've been enough to cast doubt. Remind never to take trial by jury, essentially 3 people convinced the rest.

Cymru am byth
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:54 AM »

Wow, what a program that was.  Poor old Ma Avery looks like the saddest person in the world.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »

In the Avery case, he was found not guilty of mutilation of a copse yet Brendan was found guilty of this.  Also, Brendan's case, they seemed happy that a lot went on in the bedroom, yet in the Avery case, it was said that it wasn't done there.  I just don't see how that's not a severe conflict.  Even if genuinely guilty, I'd have said there was no way Brendan would mutilate the corpse by himself.

I was surprised that in Steven's case, they had a jury from within Manitowoc county - would that be normal?  Given that almost everyone thought he was guilty before it even went to court, it didn't seem the most logical place to get a jury from.

What was the motive for Steven to kill Theresa?  On the verge of a $36m payout, surely you'd keep your nose clean until that's paid.

I'm struggling to see how Brendan at least didn't get an appeal through.

I'll probably spend hours Googling information on this now.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »

Interesting articles, apologies for the Mirror links. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/making-murderer-steven-averys-mum-7247108

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/making-murderer-explosive-new-details-7245290

Season 2 is on the cards. 

treefella

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »

The ex boyfriend  hacking the victims phone account and listening/ tampering her voicemail stood out to me. Why wasn't he questioned more on this ? Also his involvement co- ordinating in the search party and entering the potential crime scene. After his testimony in court I just can't help thinking he was involved in her disappearance.
 He was also most likely the mystery person hassling her with upsetting calls that her work colleague testified about.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »

Making of a Murderer is fascinating - but is it true? http://bit.ly/1UscbAq 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: