blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:30:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Making a Murderer - Discussion thread (DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT WATCHED IT ALL)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making a Murderer - Discussion thread (DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT WATCHED IT ALL)  (Read 12211 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

So, yeah, the whole thing is completely bonkers.

Steven and Brendan both got convicted of the same crime, even though the 'evidence' used to convict Brendan directly contradicted that used against Steven. Brendan's 'confession' film is heartbreaking to watch - this low-IQ kid getting coerced into telling the cops exactly what they want to hear.

With Steven, there appears to be two conflicting stories - either he did it, or he didn't and the cops planted evidence to fit him up. Now, it seems pretty certain that the cops did plant evidence - the blood vial had been tampered with, it looks like the body had been burnt down by the quarry pit and then moved to the burn pit out at the back of the house. On this basis, the only verdict which could be returned would be not guilty, as there was way more than reasonable doubt.

However, there is a third possibility - that Steven did kill Teresa and the police planted evidence (in the hope of making the case against him a lot tighter).

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/is-steven-avery-guilty-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

There's a lot of stuff there that didn't appear in the documentary.

• Steven always requested Teresa specifically came to do the Auto Trader photos - Teresa had complained about Steven in the past coming to meet her wearing only a towel.
  • Steven't sweat DNA was found under the latch on the trunk of Teresa's car - seems improbable the police would be able to fabricate this.

Couple of other things about Steven's character - Brendan told his mum on the phone that Steven had abused him in the past. also, the conviction for animal cruelty that was mentioned in passing in the documentary was for dousing a live cat in petrol and throwing it on a fire. Now, animal cruelty when young is one of the biggest predictors of violent crime when older.

So it may not be as cut and dried as 'he was framed again'.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »

Other, more minor things from the programme.

How delicious was it when the girly-voiced prosecutor got done for sexting women on case?

Brunette reporter with glasses - mmhmmm.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »

What shocked me most was how on several appeals brendan didn't at least get a re - trial.  With oj's lawyers can't see brendan ever getting done

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »

the police interview with Brendan looking to probe for the head injury was one of the most harrowing things i have seen on TV for a long time

and then he asks if they will be finished by 29 minutes past, because he has to hand in a project
heartbreaking

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »

What shocked me most was how on several appeals brendan didn't at least get a re - trial.  With oj's lawyers can't see brendan ever getting done

Biggest factor in OJ case by far was the media coverage and not any brilliance of his lawyers. If either of them had the media on their side at the time they would have walked IMO
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »

Biggest factor in OJ case by far was the media coverage and not any brilliance of his lawyers. If either of them had the media on their side at the time they would have walked IMO

Yep. Yr probably right. Pretty amazing that he not only had to contend with the police and the prosecuting authorities but also his own defence team. Can't believe there are no grounds for appeal. Feels so unjust. I don't know if he was involved but I know there  was no fairness in his treatment

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »

How can the original judge be allowed to decide if there should be a re trial?

The older I get, the better I was.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »

undecided if Brendan's original attorney was an idiot, or corrupt and in on it. Either way, what a shit.

There's something wrong with the victims brother and ex IMO. Their involvement in evidence gathering is all too convenient, and the fact they both admitted to hacking her voicemail and someone deleted messages. The fact none of them were even asked for alibis is really odd.

Needs to be retried in an entirely different area of the country. Different prosecutot, definitely different judge.

I'm having a rewatch from the beginning.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »

Also, yes, reporter with the glasses was quite striking.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »

I'm certain he's innocent, but ofc it is possible he isn't, either way though there is absolutely no way you can sentence a man to life in prison based on the evidence that was giving, it's an absolute disgrace.

+1 to the comments about Brendan, just so sad.

How in the world would it fucking be possible that someone could slit someone's throat and be intelligent enough to to not leave a trace anywhere but then be stupid enough to leave the victims bones out out in the garden JESUS FUKN CHRIST CMON NOW!

Had me raging watching it, just such a fucked up world, and this is obv not the only case of a poor, lower than average intelligence  person getting fucked over by the justice system.

You have to feel that if the don't get out soon with all this attention then they never will.

Anonymous group says they have proof he is innocent, hopefully that's true and they'll release it v soon.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »

Can open this thread finally.

Gripped by this from start to finish. (Although admittedly I love crimey kinds of stuff).
The most compelling episode for me was the one with Brendan's first lawyer - felt so angry every time he popped up with his slimey smile.

I really do want them to be innocent, but clearly that is the way we are lead by the programme makers.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »

Had me raging watching it, just such a fucked up world, and this is obv not the only case of a poor, lower than average intelligence  person getting fucked over by the justice system.

It did feel that they weren't getting a fair whack, just because of their educational abilities, and standing in the community.
The police, and some of the legal people came across as horrible and prejudiced.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »

Brendan's first lawyer - felt so angry every time he popped up with his slimey smile.

He annoyed the crap out of me, smiling and giggling as he discussed a brutal murder and the prospect of his client going to prison for the rest of his life.

How could the judge refuse to let Brendan replace him?

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

I found the defence lawyers investigator even worse than the lawyer if that were possible. Even in his testimony seemed pleased to be basically testifying for the prosecution. Like tighty said - it was just jaw droppingly obvious that Brendan had no clue what was going on when he asked if he could leave the police station in half an hour

sola virtus nobilitat
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »

Now there's a list of stuff that wasn't in the documentary that is pro-Avery.

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-pro-steven-avery-list-what-was-left-out-makin-230634

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: