blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  London Hippodrome - End of January Tournament - £275 buy in
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: London Hippodrome - End of January Tournament - £275 buy in  (Read 2783 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »

Hard luck, sir. What did you think of the venue?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 10:28:42 PM »

Yep, interesting place, i noted Judy Garland and Sammy Davis Jr, amongst others, had performed there. To be honest I was a little absorbed with the poker, not often I'll play a buy in of that level ... next time Smiley
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »

Yep, interesting place, i noted Judy Garland and Sammy Davis Jr, amongst others, had performed there. To be honest I was a little absorbed with the poker, not often I'll play a buy in of that level ... next time Smiley

Fair enough.

Charlie Chaplin was on the bill the first night, as was Little Titch, who was the biggest variety act around at the time. The place cost a quarter of a million pounds to build, which was a tidy sum in 1900. They had elephants and all manner of animals in there, plus part of the stage and the seating areas could be flooded for aquatic acts and boats.

Having been knocked out of a comp a few months ago and having a friend still in, I had the opportunity to wander around and read the various bits of memorabilia and history on the walls. Better than donating on the little wheel or elsewhere.

After the music hall days, it became a very successful nightclub called the Talk of the Town, which had A-List acts aplenty in the sixties and seventies.

Peter Stringfellow owned it at one point.

Throughout its history, it seems to have maintained a child-like imagination and a desire to bring pleasure to anyone who walks through its doors. I like being in buildings that have a soul. Not in a Poltergeist way, obviously, but you know what I mean.

There are better places for the poker purist to play, no question, and DTD remains the stone cold nuts for that, but there is something about the Hippodrome that makes me smile..

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: