blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  China and football
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: China and football  (Read 6499 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »

Then Again, who wants a player who only is interested in money

Vast majority of players are only playing for their current club for the money.

You think they are doing it because they love the club?

True - there is a difference though.  By going to China in your mid 20's you are actively removing yourself from the top echelons of the sport.  European competition.  FA Cups.  The top European leagues.  Nobody will remember anything you do in China.  You are sacrificing glory because you want to earn £300k per week rather than 100k.  I'd say that is a difference from picking Man City over Liverpool because City will pay you more.  Whether you are at Man City or Liverpool you can still go down in the annuls of history if the chips fall right.  In China you've taken yourself out of the equation purely for money that you probably don't even need.

That said, I don't blame the likes of Tevez getting his big end of career pay off.  It's more the likes of Oscar and Witsel that my opinion applies to.

Nobody will remember what you do in China?  Do the people who watch Chinese football not count as people.   

You know full well what I mean.  If you were writing a book on football 2017 to 2022, Oscar's performance in the Chinese league won't even get a mention no matter how well he does.  The fact is the players are accepting cash to move off the big stage into a lower league.

I'm not sure why you seem to find this view controversial.

I accept it is a lower quality league.  I accept you won't remember them as you won't see them.  But hundreds of millions of other people will remember them, as they will see them.   Some of their games get viewing figures in line with the Superbowl, so it just seemed a bit odd to say nobody would remember them. 

If you were writing a book, they won't get a mention. You have made that clear.  If somebody in China wrote one, it would be different.  If somebody wrote a book on World football in 2017, I hope they would see the World differently to you.

I am truely baffled here.  My point is obviously that the players who move are sacrificing prestige for money.  The average attendance in China is  lower.  The clubs have far less history.  The trophies they compete for are far less valued.

None of this is controversial yet you have somehow decided to make this about me being prejudiced against China.

I don't know what to say really.  It's just flat out strange.  I don't really post here anymore and posters like you are largely the reason.  I'll leave you to snipe at someone else in your unpleasant way and keep clear.  Nice one.

Your statement about nobody remembering them when they play to audiences of hundreds of millions was odd, but rather than argue that you just get personal. 

Anyway, it is just the internet.  I take offence, you take offence, same old, same old. 

I won't be losing much sleep.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: