blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Advanced LIGO has detected gravitational waves
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advanced LIGO has detected gravitational waves  (Read 2330 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »

as a non-scientist, can someone talk this in layman's terms please?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/gravity-waves-black-holes-verify-einstein%E2%80%99s-prediction

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:25:26 PM »

Yeah I was gonna come here and ask the same thing.

Apparently we've done a really good science, and lots of good sciences will happen because of this good science that we done.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »

Up until now, all our knowedge of deep space has come from measuring some form of light (visible light, x-rays, infrared, radio)

Using gravity opens up a whole new way of picking up data on stuff and could lead physicists to finally work out how to fit gravity into the standard model of the universe.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »

We did a well good science

FYP
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »

As no boffin has piped up with a detailed explanation, I'll offer the limited benefit of my fag packet science. Apologies in advance for inevitable errors that follow.

A century ago, Einstein published a paper that said things with mass actually bend the fabric of space and time, relative to how much mass they have. (This isn't the e=mc2 one; it's his other famous theory)

Click to see full-size image.

If you were really close to something massive (like a planet or a star), your watch would tick more slowly than it does now. This is because the very fabric of space and time is being bent by the huge thing next to you; the ordinary laws of physics change. It's actually true of little things, too, but it's obviously more apparent the bigger (the more massive) the thing gets.

Gravity is how we describe the force created by one thing with mass has over another thing with mass. As I bend spacetime, I am pulling the TV remove towards me. It, in turn, is pulling me to it, only not quite as strongly.

One of the implications of Einstein's theory was that having a thing in space is a bit like dropping a stone in some water.

The water is space-time and the stone is anything with mass doing something.

The effect a thing has on spacetime if you drop it in then ripples out like the waves in the water - and that's exactly what they are: waves. Only the waves in our space example aren't water waves; they're the ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by the lump that's disrupting it.

As with the stone in the pond, the further away the ripples get, the less obvious they are.

Gravitational waves have only been the playthings of the theoretical physicists, though, because no one has seen any actual evidence of them existing. The other scientists have spent the last century trying to join the theoretical physicists' club.

In reality, we need something absolutely enormous to cause a really big plop somewhere and then we could get a tiny, almost undetectable ripple our way. The explosion of an enormous star or something like a black hole would do. We need a massive thing doing something big to really give a big splash.

With improved sensors and smarter technology, this was accepted for publication today:

Waves!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:56:25 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »

No Idea on the Science, however, I seem to remember reading a science fiction book that had the space ships use the gravitational waves to fly around the universe (all though I could be delusional). It got me thinking that hopefully this breakthrough will lead to more money and resources being put into space exploration and that maybe in my kids lifetime we could actually have realistic prospects in space.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »

My watch ticks more slowly when I sit next to Mitch.

The older I get, the better I was.
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 09:01:03 PM »

My watch ticks more slowly when I sit next to Mitch.

Deserves more love. Very good. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: