blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  LA Not so confidential
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LA Not so confidential  (Read 1730 times)
bobAlike

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »

Planning on a short 10 day trip to LA with the fam, any recommendations. Never been west coast before. Kids are 16 and 20, will probably do Disney and Hollywood but haven't a clue what else.

TIA

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

Few years since I was there, but Santo Monica was a nice area to stay, it's right by the sea and easy to get around from there, universal studios really good also and worth a day. You probably have time to hit San Francisco for 3 days maybe too, really nice there, nicer city than LA.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 01:12:47 PM »

I take it you'll have a car? You'll need one.

Santa Monica is pretty nice to hang out in, the pier is good fun and there's always stuff going on on the beach that you can watch for a few hours.    The south beaches like Huntington are good for a sandy beach day if you want one - they have a relaxed surfer type feel to them.  Hollywood is worth a visit, personally I wasn't keen but you can see the stars on the pavement etc and get as close to the sign as you can.  I think you can get right next to it but we couldn't figure it out.  We ended up on a hilly area and you could see it.  You get an amazing view over LA from up there.

Disney is a great day out. It's obviously very commercial and cheesy, but they know how to do things right.  Universal Studios was good when we first went, I assume it still is and it possibly better for older kids/young adults.
Beverley Hills house little house tour is OK if you like that sort of thing.  I would just drive it and print your own map off.  You can't see much, the houses pretty well hidden.

Other places - San Diego is only a couple of hours south. Politically incorrect to do Sea World but that's a great day out too.  The zoo is supposed to be pretty awesome.

If you do decide to go to SF, take a day or two and go up route 1 - it's the coastal route between LA and SF.  You'll probably only average 20 mph all the way but it's a lovely drive.  It took us about 14 hours to go the other way, mainly stuck behind motor-homes and very slow moving traffic but the scenery is worth it.  I'd do it again but stop overnight somewhere I think.  Coming back, straight down the 5, wont't much more than 5 hours Cheesy

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »

Oh and if you want a bottle of water, ask for "warder" - put on an American accent and drop the t!  We had one lady in a restaurant event tell me they don't stock "that drink" despite bottles of it being all over the counter!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:51 PM »

We stayed in Santa Monica a few years back.  Lovely place.  Unlike a lot of the USA, you can stroll around from your hotel.  Lots of bars.restaurants etc nearby.  Proper old school pier and fairground.  Beach is massive.  Fairmont hotel was expensive but very good.  There are some ropey rooms there judging by trip advisor, but ours was very nice.  Breakfast place there very good, and there is a nice pool/garden for chilling. 

Went to Disney too which was fine. We stayed somewhere cheap and cheerful, sure it wasn't too bad (think it was a holiday inn), but we were in the park all day.

We did about 3 days in each so wasn't much time to do anything else.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »

ok, I may be able to stretch this out for 14 days so was thinking fly to SF for 4 nights, then drive down to Anaheim for 5 nights and then up to Santa Monica for another 5, to break it up before flying back from LAX. Not sure on specific itinerary yet but open to suggestions.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »

Definitely do the drive from San Francisco to la, it is stunning especially the bit south of Monterrey/ Carmel area.

Got to be honest I am not fan of LA, thought universal studios was a good day out however. Personally I would do far less time in la and more time in San Francisco/ San Diego and generally driving around California.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »

Universal Studios. Santa Monica.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »

Cheers guys, all booked up.
Fly to SF 4 nights in the Westin St Francis
Drive to Anaheim 5 days Hyatt Regency
Drive to Santa Monica 5 days Loews Hotel

Will be doing the usual Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Warf, Disney, Universal, Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Monterey etc. plus anything else we can.

keep up with any suggestions please especially any good eateries.

Cheers.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »

its been a long time since i have done it but would definitely recommend the coastal route

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/california-pacific-coast-road-trip/#/motorcycle-pacific-coast-highway_89956_600x450.jpg

less time in LA, more time heading down the coast, its stunning

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: