blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Misplaying 66..?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Misplaying 66..?  (Read 2368 times)
aggers

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »

Had a hand at the weekend which I think I misplayed but am still unsure about what I should have done. I can't remember some of the details exactly.

25/25 Series (Leicester), start of level 10 (last level of day 1):

800/1600/200

UTG raises to 4400.
- He is one of the better players at the table, has been raising quite a bit from all positions and playing cautiously post-flop - he did not seem to barrel much, and had not shown any bluffs all day
- This raise is larger than his usual 2.2x. It stood out as an unusually large raise for him.
- His stack is around 30BB

I'm in the CO, with approx 32BB, look down at 
- I was immediately unsure what to do - call/fold
- Decided to call

Flop:  three clubs

- He bets 1/2 pot

What should I have done here and pre-flop?

Thanks

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »

A larger than standard raise will usually suggest a very strong hand. Put another way, I think you're set-mining here to get ahead in the hand. Whilst you haven't actually said, I'm presuming that you went HU to the flop? As played, I'd be snap folding to the cb.

Personally I fold pre, unless there have been 2+ callers; in which case I'd flick it in & get all the implied odds I need for set-mining. You mention that it's the last level of the day, and you have 32bb. The main objective must be to get to Day 2 with a playable (20+bb) stack, so playing 66 vs a strong raise from a decent player is -EV. You will find far better spots during the remaining 35mins of the last level of the day - which, imo, is full of crazy play by ppl who say things like "there's no point coming back to day 2 with less than 40bb".
aggers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Agree now that I should have folded pre, considered it at the time but it seemed very weak with this hand and position. Also I was consciously trying not to nit up ahead of the end of the day, telling myself it's just a break the same as any other and that other players will be holding out so I may be able to put pressure on them. I think that may have contributed to the call.

Thanks
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »

My rule of thumb for these sorts of spots is that I need to be able to win about 20x the amount I have to call in order to set mine.  I might reduce this amount if I think there's more of a chance that no-one will squeeze behind or if villain will likely stack off easily, but around 20-1 is a good starting point.
aggers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

Thanks.

In a situation like this, with these stacks and the UTG raise, what's the weakest hand you would call with - paired & unpaired?

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »

Thanks.

In a situation like this, with these stacks and the UTG raise, what's the weakest hand you would call with - paired & unpaired?

Not sure I'd be calling very many tbh (AQ, 99-TT) but would be 3betting (5.5bb) AK & JJ+. Would call a shove with just AA & KK & cry-fold the rest. Still have 26.5bb and a chance to find a better spot before end of level 10.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: