blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Romania and stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Romania and stuff  (Read 38532 times)
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »

That fire pit is really something, would love to go there!
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

Wow that looks incredible! Is there any reason why they keep denying your visa application?

I request not to use a guide. I don't want to have to do as I am told once I am there. Also they don't like you travelling in from a country that is not where your passport is issued. I would have more chance booking my journey starting in the UK but that's a waste of time and effort.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »

1:30 Tombstone
2:10 no bet
2:50 Morning Assembly
3:30 Sempre Medici
4:10 The Govaness
4:50 Ballychorus
5:30 Javert

A few to go to war with. Good luck to anyone getting involved at Cheltenham today.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 05:31:14 AM »

Too many beers and not enough winners yesterday has left me nursing a sore head today.
Will try to address the balance today.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »

Thanks for doing this blog. Being an unofficial expat myself (i spend most of my time in the Netherlands) I love stuff like this. I find that everything is new and exciting for a while. There are so many things that are different that you wouldn't have cared to think about when living in England. The things that top the list are pubs, food and architecture usually.

So things like milk and bread taste really different? What part of a staple British diet is ignored in Kazahkstan? Do people have a poor sense of humour? Do people have strong family values? In the quieter suburbs/villages/towns do people say hi on the street? Do people stick to 3 meals a day and follow the British "small breakfast, small lunch, big dinner"?

Odd questions I know but thanks again for doing this.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »

Thanks for doing this blog. Being an unofficial expat myself (i spend most of my time in the Netherlands) I love stuff like this. I find that everything is new and exciting for a while. There are so many things that are different that you wouldn't have cared to think about when living in England. The things that top the list are pubs, food and architecture usually.

So things like milk and bread taste really different? What part of a staple British diet is ignored in Kazahkstan? Do people have a poor sense of humour? Do people have strong family values? In the quieter suburbs/villages/towns do people say hi on the street? Do people stick to 3 meals a day and follow the British "small breakfast, small lunch, big dinner"?

Odd questions I know but thanks again for doing this.

Evening all, apologies for the lack of updates but I was fully engrossed in Cheltenham last week and felt a bit crappy over the weekend.
Anyhow...
 Click to see full-size image.

Last minute preparations are under way for my trip to India. I'm on the 7:55am flight from Almaty to Delhi, my dad is arriving in Delhi sometime before me so first plan is to meet up with him then pick up our tickets for England v Afghanistan on Wednesday. I'll try to update everyday with some interesting pictures and stories.

lucky_scrote thanks for your post pal, lets answer your questions.
Milk is all UHT so tastes different to me but I only drink it in my coffee. Bread is made using a different strain of flour so tastes different yeah, interestingly(?) my wife's mother is gluten intolerant but she was able to eat Kazkah bread without any of the effects.
Quite a large number of British staples are ignored unfortunately, mashed potato, bacon, battered fish, chicken tikka etc. Sandwiches are just not eaten here anywhere, no packaged ones at supermarkets, no ham or decent cheese is available.
Sense of humour is divided between the generations, as you would suggest for most places in the world. Older people are very traditional and don't take kindly to jokes whereas the younger lot, especially those with no recollection of living under the Soviet regime prior to 1991 are more self depricating and easy to joke with. They know elections are rigged etc and appreciate how it looks to foreigners.
If I go to a small village people hear me speaking English and look at me like I've got three heads. Then they make a big fuss of impressing the foreigner so I'm not the best person to ask. I get the impression that smaller places are very very tightly knit, it's the only way to survive but that strange locals are treated with suspicion, after all small villages have very little to offer or things to do so it makes little sense for any strangers to be there.
Hope that answered your questions and keep on reading.

I'll finish with an interesting story that happened to me yesterday.
As I previously mentioned I'm meeting my dad in Delhi so my mother took the opportunity to fly here to visit the grandchildren. I was dispatched to collect here from the airport at 2am and used a local taxi, arranged for him to wait for me at the airport and bring us home.
Anyhow someone mistook my mother's case for their own so I'm waiting around for about an hour for her. Finally it's resolved and I go to find the taxi but he has gone, "balls" and strange because I hadn't paid him but had left my travel coffee cup in his car. I was annoyed as he hadn't called and knackered as it was approaching 4am so I flag down another taxi and head home.
I'm laid slumbering at around 7am and my phone is going crazy, after about 5 calls I pick it up. It's the taxi driver "excuse me but I've been waiting for 4 hours. What's going on?"
Jesus H Christ, he had been moved to a different part of the car park by the plod and sat for 4 hours waiting. I felt absolutely terrible. Poor bloke. Told him to drop my coffee cup off and I'd pay him, he actually started to apologising. Made me feel worse, the taxi was on a meter, the total bill for two fares at about 25km each way and four hours waiting time? A tenner. Good old Kazakhstan, I trebled it and promised I'd use him as much as possible in a way of apology.

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »

Haha nice story about the taxi. Crazy how transport prices in other countries compare to England. For example an hours train journey for me costs around £15 in the uk, but today I took a train in Thailand for an hour and a half. The cost? 38p. Mad.

Keep posting Tommy.

Feed em rice.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2016, 01:07:55 AM »

I've arrived at Almaty airport but not without a little excitement.
Found a taxi at about 5am and we are tootling along the same old road until about 4km from the airport the driver takes an unexpected turn onto an old rickety road I've not used before, I've made this journey to the airport twenty times.
My mind starts to wander and I'm thinking maybe this guy is going to rob me of my case and money. Makes sense, travellers carry money, electricals and stuff.
I chastise myself for having such a low default opinion of the locals until he pulls the bloody car over onto a dirt embankment. "Shit", he turns and looks at me and in some beautiful crisp English he says, "sorry....I need a piss".
No need for an espresso at the airport now.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

Excellent diary.

I have been once a few years ago, but only a short trip to Astana. As with many places, I feared the worst, and as a result was enchanted by how much better it was than the picture I had painted myself.

It was a work trip to discuss a road building project, and we have since taken on a Russian speaker to look after the ex Russian states, so I no longer deal with Kazakhstan, but my recollection is how whenever payment was due or a someone wanted to avoid a meeting, the drastic measures the business chiefs went to avoid you, with examples cited like Mr N has had a heart attack, or Mr M has had A massive car crash and will be in hospital for 3 months, or on one occasion Mr S even claimed a child had died, when we knew he had none. I'm not sure if this is a typical trait, or one you would even be exposed to, but it was always fairly amusing to me.

They love a bit of concrete over there, but sadly our German competitor, who has been there longer than us, has helped build some rather poor roads, as they don't understand how to pave the stuff so it can survive the 80/100 degree temperature swngs you get over there.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »

Day Zero

I've arrived in India by the skin of my teeth, the journey was slightly terrifying. It began serenely and fortunately enough, on the Tarmac of the runway in Almaty I was treated to this backdrop...
 Click to see full-size image.

Most of my to-ings and fro-ings from the glorious nation of Kazakhstan take place in the dead of night so this was a genuine pleasure.
I was seated by the emergency exit on the plane, extra leg room and an empty seat next to me. A decent result.
Take off was fine and I read a little of my book - Bounce by former British number one table tennis player Matthew Syed(review to follow), I ate some horrible Air Astana rice porridge and honey, washed it down with some equally foul coffee and settled down for a nap.
I was awoken an hour later by the seat belt noise and the captain warning of approaching turbulence, no problem I thought, I'm an experienced flyer.
The reality was a washing machine-esque, vomit inducing, digging around for some new undies kind of turbulence.
I was genuinely terrified for the first time on an aeroplane, it culminated in a free fall which seemed to last 30 seconds but was probably about 3. There were screams and tears in the cabin and the colour of the stewardesses face showed that this was not normal.
The captain reduced the altitude and we were free from the jet stream and normality resumed.
An exhilarating beginning to the trip!

TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »

Day One

I arrived at Indira Ghandj airport, which reminds me of a nice seafront amusement arcade with its old fashioned carpeting and staff wearing gold waistcoats.
I suddenly feel de stressed and relaxed without understanding why then suddenly it hits me, things are written in English! Months and years of my brain always being on high alert to deal with the complexity and perplexity of reading the Russian Cyrillic alphabet dissipates.
Riding my new found wave of happiness I breeze through customs, change a few Rupees and meet my driver Mr Singh(odds on that?), I shuffle into an old Dhatsun minivan and off we go.
We pull up to a set of traffic lights and BAM! I'm greeted by the cacophony of chaos that is Delhi. A dozen children surround the van begging for money and trying to sell tat. The driver asks me to ignore them as it could cause a riot if I give money. I try to avoid their eyes whilst looking down at my £150 sunglasses. An auspicious start and I feel bad.
After what seems like an eternity we are away into an urban jungle, blooming flowers and barbed wire. Blossoming trees and piles of abandoned concrete. Women in luminous saris stepping over sleeping drifters and beggars.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »

Excellent!

More please.

The older I get, the better I was.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »

Day One continued

90 minutes later and I've covered the 11 miles and arrived at the Hotel Broadway.

http://www.hotelbroadwaydelhi.com

It's fairly clean, the water is hot and the beer is cold however the road on which it's situated is also home to a festering ocean of human flotsam and despair. Let me set the scene...

I see a small stone square yard on which are 5 barrels full of clear liquid, inside the barrels are goat carcasses and there are half a dozen live goats tied to a pole, one by one they are taken and have their throats slit and are thrown into a barrel. Blood has trickled into the road and pools. Nobody seems surprised or bothered. There are approximately 25 middle aged Indian men lying on the pavement. They are dirty, have little or no clothes and seem to be waiting for death. I wonder if it would be more humane to for someone to put them out of this misery, much like a deer with a hoof caught in the grille of a car. I ponder for a second then I decide with utter certainty that it would.
The pavement is smashed to pieces and piles of concrete make walking almost impossible. I'm forced onto the road and I'm almost knocked over by a rouge motorised rickshaw driver who swears at me in Urdu(probably).
It stinks of curried dog shit and despair, the heat of the sun gently warming up the piles of rubbish that are everywhere you look.
There are a row of a dozen shops/shacks adjoining my hotel. The only one with any customers is a shop called "Wine and Beer".
I take a deep breath, trying not to taste and join the queue.
6 bottles of Kingfisher in my bag, I check in to the hotel sit on my comfortable bed close my eyes and try to work out how many hours until I leave.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »

The Thug Pub looks amazing!

Need pictures of you enjoying a pint in there!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »

The Thug Pub looks amazing!

Need pictures of you enjoying a pint in there!

Haha it's brilliant pal. I'll be happy to provide. I have many pictures but Imgur doesn't seem to work on this wifi connection.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: