blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Omaha hand
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Omaha hand  (Read 3947 times)
shipitgood

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:48 AM »

Cash game, 200 bb effective. We are in the BB with Qh7d8s9h

Player opens early position, 3 calls, we call from BB.

Flop

Q107r, We Check initial raiser pots it, 1 call we call.

Turn is Q. Check, Bet, other player folds, we call.

River is a 2, we lead the river, and the player jams.

I hardly ever play Omaha, but it struck me when the player jammed I might not have the best hand here although i'm not terribly worried and of course call.

If you get real aggression in Omaha is it going to be the nuts more often than not, compared to 3rd nuts 4th nuts type hands? With the dynamic of having the extra 2 cards  

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:42:58 AM by shipitgood » Logged
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:10:49 AM »

I would think there is very little bluffs here if any, or is Qx 0r 10x? a good hand to bluff (from villians perspective)

Facing my lead OTR have check called Flop and turn, would the 3rd nuts or 4th etc be a standard call, or possibly also a raise?
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

Depends on the opponent, an experienced PLO player would not necessarily jam here with the nuts as he will only usually get called with by another Q10. I think I muster a cying call here unless I know the villain.

Ah! The element of surprise
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »

I'm folding pre and deffo folding to the river-jam.

In my defence I am a Karabiner.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »

Standard up to the river imo, what was your reasoning for leading?

As an aside, don't ever just call QT in villains spot because as happened here, you might get a call from Q7 and the rake has probably already capped at this point.

I would check river here and decide based on his sizing. If he has TT/77 he'll probably size more cautiously but bet big with QT. When he opens from early position he's going to have lots of connected high cards so a lot of his hands that contain a Q will also contain a lot more tens than sevens.

As played when he raises this is going to be QT pretty much alway, I'd fold and be pretty happy about it. I know it feels like we're playing very exploitably folding the second nuts here but if he's only raising the nuts as will be the case for the vast majority of players then we get to exploit him by folding the second nuts
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:55:03 PM by DMorgan » Logged

WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »

Depends on the opponent, an experienced PLO player would not necessarily jam here with the nuts as he will only usually get called with by another Q10. I think I muster a cying call here unless I know the villain.

Pretty sure an experienced PLO would absolutely always jam here with the nuts. I see absolutely 0 reason to flat. If you're not even jamming the nuts, it's going to be very tough to have any bluffing range at all, or to be perceived to have a balanced range in this and other spots. Not saying it's necessary to have much of a river bluffing range in this spot or a wide raising range for value, but people don't like folding full houses, so you'll get called by Q7/Q2/TT etc sometimes in these spots.

fwiw somthing like T876 would be a viable bluff jam for villain in this spot, but in reality few people will ever bluff here, so i'd be folding Q7xx vs most people unless i have any reason to think villain over-values certain hands or is capable of bluffing in these spots. As Dan said, i'd be pretty happy c/calling this spot... and as played making an exploitable fold.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:03:12 AM by WotRTheChances » Logged
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »

Thanks all for the responses, it was my 30th hand of PLO cash ever:) Seems a complicated game hehe

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:49:25 AM by shipitgood » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 03:07:31 AM »

don't lead river

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »

Standard up to the river imo, what was your reasoning for leading?

As an aside, don't ever just call QT in villains spot because as happened here, you might get a call from Q7 and the rake has probably already capped at this point.

I would check river here and decide based on his sizing. If he has TT/77 he'll probably size more cautiously but bet big with QT. When he opens from early position he's going to have lots of connected high cards so a lot of his hands that contain a Q will also contain a lot more tens than sevens.

As played when he raises this is going to be QT pretty much alway, I'd fold and be pretty happy about it. I know it feels like we're playing very exploitably folding the second nuts here but if he's only raising the nuts as will be the case for the vast majority of players then we get to exploit him by folding the second nuts

nailed it imo.

check river and most probably call, might VB worse and might bluff some KJT/AKT kinda hand which is well in his range

The_Kid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

Do not fold pre.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: