blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Science is Amazing - a thread for Science Nerds
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Science is Amazing - a thread for Science Nerds  (Read 8200 times)
HutchGF

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »

Inspired by Tighty's post related to the pushing of the Milky Way across the galaxy I thought we could have a thread to post any and all Science related news. As I'm sure some of you know I am a Science teacher by trade and run a Science debate club at my school for the future medical students and engineers in our 6th form.

To give you a taste, we discussed whether Science has a responsibility to explore the unexplored corners of our Earth, such as the Moville Cave in Romania, which despite having a poisonous atmosphere and having been isolated from the rest of the world for 5.5 million years, appears to be teeming with life.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150904-the-bizarre-beasts-living-in-romanias-poison-cave

I'm always looking for topics we can discuss and if anyone comes across anything interesting on the travels across the interweb please post it in this thread.

Here's a little something my students have had fun with - I defy anyone to spend 5 minutes with this and not have their minds blown.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

A recent topic for discussion was a thought experiment I set the class :

If we poured a glass of water into the North Sea and returned one year later and scooped up a glass of water from the sea, what is the likelihood of there being at least one molecule of water from the original glass in there?

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »

Here's a little something my students have had fun with - I defy anyone to spend 5 minutes with this and not have their minds blown.

I definitely lost hard. That's incredible!
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »

i could hear a dawkins suffix to the title of the thread in my head when i first read it:

re the molecules in the ocean question, i am sure i read that there are many more molecules in a glass of water than there are glasses of water in the worlds oceans. And that when you drink a glass of water you are almost certainly ingesting water molecules that passed through hitler's urinary tract. I may have remember some of the details, but that was the thrust of the article
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:20:24 AM »

Great thread.

Subscribed.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »

excellent

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07:58 AM »

This'll be terrific, thanks Hutch.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »

Inspired by Tighty's post related to the pushing of the Milky Way across the galaxy I thought we could have a thread to post any and all Science related news. As I'm sure some of you know I am a Science teacher by trade and run a Science debate club at my school for the future medical students and engineers in our 6th form.

To give you a taste, we discussed whether Science has a responsibility to explore the unexplored corners of our Earth, such as the Moville Cave in Romania, which despite having a poisonous atmosphere and having been isolated from the rest of the world for 5.5 million years, appears to be teeming with life.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150904-the-bizarre-beasts-living-in-romanias-poison-cave

I'm always looking for topics we can discuss and if anyone comes across anything interesting on the travels across the interweb please post it in this thread.

A recent topic for discussion was a thought experiment I set the class :

If we poured a glass of water into the North Sea and returned one year later and scooped up a glass of water from the sea, what is the likelihood of there being at least one molecule of water from the original glass in there?

woooooooooooooooooow, link sent to Grandkids  TY
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »

My fiancee is a final year Biology student at Imperial College London she is hoping to get the option to write a science blog on bad science on TV and in film. If she gets this option and people would be interested I'll post the link here.

'Fun' biology fact of the day: the clinical symptoms of Cholera aren't caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae, they are instead caused by a virus that infects the bacteria causing it to release the cholera toxin.

Also here's an interesting video - more interesting when someone explains what is going on as you're going through but I think you can still appreciate the imagery without Smiley

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »

^^^

Have read more books than enough o cells, DNA & so forth, but I still find it impossible to grasp the smallness of these things.

For perspective, the human body contains ten trillion cells. And there is stuff inside cells. Think how small THAT must be.

Same applies to DNA. I don't know how accurate this is, but.....

Genes are composed of DNA, and it is predicted that there are over 3 billion basepairs in the human genome. Humans have approximately 10 trillion cells, so if you were to line all of the DNA found in every cell of a human body it would stretch from the earth to the sun 100 times

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »

Imagine the scene............ you are a single celled organism that inconveniently has half its life cycle in the human circulatory system and half in its insect vector. How do you make sure that passing mosquitoes feed on the human you're currently residing in?

Why make a molecule that makes the infected human blood extra tasty of course!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/malaria-molecule-makes-blood-extra-alluring-mosquitoes?tgt=nr
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »

i could hear a dawkins suffix to the title of the thread in my head when i first read it:

re the molecules in the ocean question, i am sure i read that there are many more molecules in a glass of water than there are glasses of water in the worlds oceans. And that when you drink a glass of water you are almost certainly ingesting water molecules that passed through hitler's urinary tract. I may have remember some of the details, but that was the thrust of the article

You are indeed correct sir. We used some mathematical wizardry involving Avagadro's constant and calculated that the number of molecules of water in my Periodic Table mug was vastly bigger than the number of mugfuls of water in the North Sea.

Of course, we cannot take diffusion into account and we can only ever calculate a probability based answer as the molecules will always be in random motion. Awkward buggers.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »

My fiancee is a final year Biology student at Imperial College London she is hoping to get the option to write a science blog on bad science on TV and in film. If she gets this option and people would be interested I'll post the link here.

'Fun' biology fact of the day: the clinical symptoms of Cholera aren't caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae, they are instead caused by a virus that infects the bacteria causing it to release the cholera toxin.

Also here's an interesting video - more interesting when someone explains what is going on as you're going through but I think you can still appreciate the imagery without Smiley

Fantastic video! Would definitely be interested in reading your fiance's blog. I used to get so mad at shows like early CSI with their incorrect DNA stuff!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »

Can't contribute much, but I'm in awe reading this tuff.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »

This was excellent - explained in a way even I could grasp, but not dumbed down too much.

The Presenter was very likeable, & it was a great piece of TV.

Uranium - twisting the dragons tail

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x323med

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »

This might not br correct, but from my observation, a red blood cell is about midway between the biggest and smallest things we can measure.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: