blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Brittania Parking fine
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brittania Parking fine  (Read 8293 times)
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »

I used the Money Saving Expert templates to successfully appeal to the main parking body (can't remember what it's called). Originally appealed to the parking company, which was unsurprisingly rejected.

My mum is a blue badge holder and parked in a train station permit only bay on a weekend in a section that was completely empty - the station had just 3 disabled spaces out of 400 odd (further away than the permit areas from the station, and all taken), with available regular spaces too far away from the station for her to walk. Even though blue badge holders parked for free she'd paid for a ticket (she's not that bright sometimes).

Appealed based on the Equality Act (rejected), inadequate signage (rejected) and that a £60 fine wasn't a genuine measure of the loss suffered by the parking company (upheld).

As long as you've parked and the signage is clear, you've entered into a contract. If you breach that contract any remedy in law has to be proportionate (unless damages were suffered - which clearly isn't the case here) - this is seemingly the basis that most appeals are successful. Whilst they usually give up as there's no economy in pursuing tiny figures, these companies do have a legal basis to make a claim against you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:18:17 PM by dwh103 » Logged
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »

i got a ticket in a free car park at asda when i parked in a disabled parking space, as these are the only one wide enough for me to get my wheelchair in and out. i was in the shop less than 20 minutes i came out and there was a parking ticket over my tax disc ( which clearly states disabled) they also printed a ticket which had the name and address of the owner of the car on it (motabilty)
at the time i wasnt paying the £40 for a blue badge as i didnt require one as i never parked anywhere other than free for all car parks.
i wrote to them explaining i was in a wheelchair and parked in a disabled space as i am disabled after a few exchanges my fee was now four figures so i went into the same store spoke to the manger who told me that he couldn't do anything as it was a separate firm when i explained to him that i will see them in court while i explain to the press (i am friendly with a couple of local journalists that were wanting to run the story already) how the only people that had to pay for parking in asda were the disabled (as they wanted to see a blue badge costing £40) phone was picked up and ticket cancelled and my story never got the press that i was aiming at.

i might try and run with this idea again when i am feeling fitter but i picked up a blue badge recently as i need to park in some car parks where blue badge holders get the parking free so makes having a blue badge viable even if its a bit more expensive

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »

hmmm Scotland has different laws but still

A woman has been ordered by a sheriff to pay a private parking company £24,500 in unpaid charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39478203
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

A woman has been ordered by a sheriff to pay a private parking company £24,500 in unpaid charges

Guess there will be an appeal?  I don't have too much sympathy here.  I have way more sympathy for people who just miss signs, stay over for 10 minutes.  But this just sounds like she was giving them the finger given she was offered parking for £40 a month.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »

Guess there will be an appeal?  I don't have too much sympathy here.  I have way more sympathy for people who just miss signs, stay over for 10 minutes.  But this just sounds like she was giving them the finger given she was offered parking for £40 a month.

Agreed. She has deliberately taken advantage here and her actions are wrong.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »

Doesn't the charge seem rather high given that the "loss" was £40 a month?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »

Doesn't the charge seem rather high given that the "loss" was £40 a month?

Dundee waterfront doesn't sound like a place where parking is cheap.  Presumably £40 a month was away from the waterfront and where she parked was fairly prime.   I lived in a flat in a farly nice development.  You could pay £2k a year to park conveniently or £40 a month to walk a fair while and face a fight to find a spot.  Presumably she wanted convenient parking without paying. 

She picked black, got red.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »

bump

this didn't end well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40628560

How the hell did it come to this?

one nurse had tickets amounting to £150,000.

Assuming this isn't just a massive typo, did she buy the bloody car park?

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »

bump

this didn't end well.

This is a scandal NHS staff should not be charged to park on site. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »

bump

this didn't end well.

This is a scandal NHS staff should not be charged to park on site. 

A lot of people pay to park at work and for some there is no choice. 

I do think any parking charges should be reasonable and affordable for staff.  But you could extend that to patient's too. 

It can't be in anybody's interest to have arrived where they have.   

The campaigner quoted has a just giving page to raise money for an appeal.  At least the lawyers will be happy.   

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »

Yeah my Mrs pays to park at work but she works in the City Centre and her employer negotiate a discount but it's still £35 a week in an NCP.  I claim the majority of my parking back being self employed. 

But for NHS staff I think its deplorable that they are charged to park.  Especially as most of these workers do all sorts or crazy shifts.  If there was a parking charge to patients and visitors if that was going back to the NHS I'd be ok with it, but when it's going to private companies I think that is a bigger scandal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: