blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  It's world book day
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's world book day  (Read 2596 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »

(also known as the "God loves a trier" thread 2/3/17)

World book day, that day when you are glad your kids are above school age and don't need to be dressed up as the Big Friendly giant or alice in wonderland

it certainly wasn't around when i was at school,or maybe even when my kids were at achool

however, you do not escape on here

Please tell me the one book you would take to your desert island. (reference, fiction, whatever) with you and why?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »

so anyway in October the 4th edition of "fossils and Foxes" was brought out

every player that has ever played for Leicester, record of everymatch, every coach,manager

a statistical compendium that i don't think i could ever tire of. massive thing.

i can find a season, recallmatches i have been to etc

of no practical use to anyone else,and not exactly intellectually stimulating beyond its sphere but its my book

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »

Strangely enough, yes, I did know, & I wrote a little Blog for Next Door to "celebrate" it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

What a tough question, Rich.

First thoughts are it's a flip between 2 old favourites of mine.

ASHONE by Bill Bryson. Never tire of that.

Papillon by Henri Charriere. A wonderfully embellished story of wrong 'uns, the very people I enjoy reading about.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »

Tricky question but I think my all time favorite would be Legend by David Gemmell.

However if I was going to be stuck a long time then maybe Lord of the Rings to while away the time.

Interesting discussion on Radio this morning suggesting that maybe all the dressing up is getting in the way of the actual point of the day which is to encourage the reading of books.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »

My son, who's 10, hates the dressing up part, so went for stretching just a tad and dressed up as one of the F2 boys, seeing as he has their book..lol

Hmmm for desert island might have to go with something like one of those huge DIY books, probably come in handy Grin
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »

so anyway in October the 4th edition of "fossils and Foxes" was brought out

every player that has ever played for Leicester, record of everymatch, every coach,manager

a statistical compendium that i don't think i could ever tire of. massive thing.

i can find a season, recallmatches i have been to etc

of no practical use to anyone else,and not exactly intellectually stimulating beyond its sphere but its my book

Click to see full-size image.

What years were the others published Tighty?  Not sure if i got one of the earlier ones at my mums with the hundreds of LCFC programmes i got from the 80s.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »

While I have books I prefer, I think this is the all rounder that anyone who reads it will love and its got so many interesting things in it that you'd get a lot from a reread

This might be my personal fave though

Or this

All three very dense with interesting information, all really well written and all of them I fancy rereading at some point.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:43:49 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis

Have read it several times and I find something new to disturb me every time. A challenging, thought provoking read that the film did little justice to.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »

While I have books I prefer, I think this is the all rounder that anyone who reads it will love and its got so many interesting things in it that you'd get a lot from a reread

Or this

All three very dense with interesting information, all really well written and all of them I fancy rereading at some point.

Hi Barry.

The Unthinkable seems like a bit of me but before I download it, does it contain spoilers for other survival stories?

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »

Or this

Hi Barry.

The Unthinkable seems like a bit of me but before I download it, does it contain spoilers for other survival stories?

No major ones that I know of. Basically the author looks at common responses to extreme events - people who panic, freeze and those who become heroes. Then she looks at the reasons why we respond the way we do. There are tons of examples from all types of events, but the stuff on how people who survived the twin towers on 9/11 is maybe the main focul point.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »

Not an easy subject matter but I found A Life Too Short, about German goalkeeper Robert Enke, completely engrossing.

Perhaps not typical reading material on a desert island but me don't read much.

Best Bitter.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »

my alias is lifted from pynchon's gravity's rainbow.

tis a beauty. the language is free form, and words and sentences spiral into each other. its a language and writing style so wonderfully constructed you can dip in and out of its pages at random and enjoy swimming in pynchons world.

its opening page sets the tone

A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

It is too late. The Evacuation still proceeds, but it's all theatre. There are no lights inside the cars. No light anywhere. Above him lift girders old as an iron queen, and glass somewhere far above that would let the light of day through. But it's night. He's afraid of the way the glass will fall--soon--it will be a spectacle: the fall of a crystal palace. But coming down in total blackout, without one glint of light, only great invisible crashing.

Inside the carriage, which is built on several levels, he sits in velveteen darkness, with nothing to smoke, feeling metal nearer and farther rub and connect, steam escaping in puffs, a vibration in the carriage's frame, a poising, an uneasiness, all the others pressed in around, feeble ones, second sheep, all out of luck and time: drunks, old veterans still in shock from ordnance 20 years obsolete, hustlers in city clothes, derelicts, exhausted women with more children than it seems could belong to anyone, stacked about among the rest of the things to be carried out to salvation. Only the nearer faces are visible at all, and at that only as half-silvered images in a view finder, green-stained VIP faces remembered behind bulletproof windows speeding through the city....

They have begun to move. They pass in line, out of the main station, out of downtown, and begin pushing into older and more desolate parts of the city. Is this the way out? Faces turn to the windows, but no one dares ask, not out loud. Rain comes down. No, this is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into--they go in under archways, secret entrances of rotted concrete that only looked like loops of an underpass . . . certain trestles of blackened wood have moved slowly by overhead, and the smells begun of coal from days far to the past, smells of naphtha winters, of Sundays when no trafflc came through, of the coral-like and mysteriously vital growth, around the blind curves and out the lonely spurs, a sour smell of rolling-stock absence, of maturing rust, developing through those emptying days brilliant and deep, especially at dawn, with blue shadows to seal its passage, to try to bring events to Absolute Zero . . . and it is poorer the deeper they go . . . ruinous secret cities of poor, places whose names he has never heard . . . the walls break down, the roofs get fewer and so do the chances for light. The road, which ought to be opening out into a broader highway, instead has been getting narrower, more broken, cornering tighter and tighter until all at once, much too soon, they are under the final arch brakes grab and spring terribly. It is a judgment from which there is no appeal.

boss characters, incredible set pieces, wonderful character names. its boss, innit.

cooking up banana's, psy-spys, psychedelic trips down toilet bowls : all set against the threat of the V2. what more do you want from a war novel?

The mass nature of wartime death is useful in many ways. It serves as a spectacle, as a diversion from the real movements of the War. It provides raw material to be recorded into History, so that children may be taught History as sequences of violence, battle after battle, and be more prepared for the adult world.

well played tommy, lad

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »

I tend not to read books more than once so I'd probably go for a quotes book or something inspirational.

Either that or Club

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Tricky question but I think my all time favorite would be Legend by David Gemmell.

However if I was going to be stuck a long time then maybe Lord of the Rings to while away the time.

Interesting discussion on Radio this morning suggesting that maybe all the dressing up is getting in the way of the actual point of the day which is to encourage the reading of books.

Druss ! What an excellent choice sir.
Been a long time since I read the Drenai series, might have to dig them out. The two Waylander books were my favourites.  Gemmell is a real hero of mine.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: