blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Doug Polk
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doug Polk  (Read 5523 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:03:59 AM »

I always got the impression he was a cock.

For some unknown reason I started watching some of his hand anaysis videos on YouTube a couple of nights ago.

I still think he's a cock. But he's a cock who gives the most fascinating hand anaysis I've ever watched.

Well worth a watch if you've never seen him in action before.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:07:23 AM »

Agree.

His Youtube channel in general is excellent strategy wise and just generally funny. He is also very good value on Twitch, watched for a few hours tonight and he is very entertaining and obviously very good.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »

I played with him once in vegas @ PLO, he was actually really cool, i'd thought he was a knob previously. I think you get people in his position who are so caught up in there own achievements in poker that they easily come across arrogant and a touch obnoxious, I also watch his videos and they are really good, doesn't take himself to seriously. Likes a bit of controversy too which is always useful when you're entertaining people Smiley.

All very good +1 on the reccomeneding the channel.

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »

I always got the impression he was a cock.

For some unknown reason I started watching some of his hand anaysis videos on YouTube a couple of nights ago.

I still think he's a cock. But he's a cock who gives the most fascinating hand anaysis I've ever watched.

Well worth a watch if you've never seen him in action before.

Link please  Keith
Are you getting back into playing ?
Or just keeping up with devolpments ?
How do you think Doug would do in a poker room full of unbluffable stations at a smaller card room say like Luton Huh?
Doug Polk v say George Michael / mr or Mrs Phan ??
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »

Dougs an absolute hero , great player & analysis with an English sense of  humour

Keith check out him berating your best pal Negreanu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7euHrSaXlpw

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »

He is doing a great job, his videos are really nice.

It's pretty funny, because especially in high stakes tournament scene he is basically seen as a spot or somebody who is a weaker player. I think its sad that he often doesn't allow himself a certain different type of thought, and long term I think this really effected his ability to make money playing poker, thus doing $10-$10k bankroll challenges rather than playing high stakes.

Hopefully his videos bring more people into poker, I think he's a really nice guy and would love for him to start doing podcasts with other high stakes guys regularly.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »

Dougs an absolute hero , great player & analysis with an English sense of  humour

Is this the right link Fraser ? It took me to the # king hands ? At the bike
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:18 PM »

Is this the right link Fraser ? It took me to the # king hands ? At the bike

Works fine for me Sir
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »

It's pretty funny, because especially in high stakes tournament scene he is basically seen as a spot or somebody who is a weaker player.

I thought you said before that high stakes players regard him as the best player in the world. Appreciate that would have been HU cash, but still quite a stretch from best player in the world to weak spot. Someone definitely posted it last year - thought it was you but I might be getting mixed up.
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »

It's pretty funny, because especially in high stakes tournament scene he is basically seen as a spot or somebody who is a weaker player.

I thought you said before that high stakes players regard him as the best player in the world. Appreciate that would have been HU cash, but still quite a stretch from best player in the world to weak spot. Someone definitely posted it last year - thought it was you but I might be getting mixed up.

Does seem strange given Doug tagged Jason Mercier as a mark , again  online  versus tournaments  etc  

https://www.highstakesdb.com/6897-doug-polk-and-jason-mercier-lock-horns-in-heated-twitter-row.aspx
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »

He is very good at heads up cash games.

Remember he was losing/break even for years and years he isn't a talented poker player who can jump in and out of games naturally. He dedicated himself to heads up and got good from years of repitition/looking over things and very deep database study on regulars finding their weaknesses.

There's probably 1000+ players better at MTTs than him and probably 5-10 better at hu cash games, that speaks a lot.

He is the very best at poker content in the world right now though.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
xeelee
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »

I think that cocksureness is something you only get from a successful player. I am addicted to his video's though he does make you think about poker as I imagine a professional does.
He's a good salesman too, almost joined upswing poker-almost convinced it will help me place well in the up coming Millions tourney. Another good one on YouTube is Andrew Neeme.
Guys living the life in vegas and gives good behind the scenes view of that lifestyle we would love to have. He also gives interesting live cash game analysis warts and all.
Turkey Cheesecake
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 03:52:42 PM »

He is very good at heads up cash games.

Remember he was losing/break even for years and years he isn't a talented poker player who can jump in and out of games naturally. He dedicated himself to heads up and got good from years of repitition/looking over things and very deep database study on regulars finding their weaknesses.

There's probably 1000+ players better at MTTs than him and probably 5-10 better at hu cash games, that speaks a lot.

He is the very best at poker content in the world right now though.

Hard to really believe that someone who has cashed $5m, majority of it since 2013. and had success in online mtts recently is outside the top 1000 mtt players in the world. Maybe's he outside the top 50 and a spot / Break even in a tough 50k but top 1000s . . . .

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:54:32 PM by Turkey Cheesecake » Logged
cheesies

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »

I think its sad that he often doesn't allow himself a certain different type of thought

Fancy expanding on this at all? I take it you have a certain type of thought in mind...
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »

I think this really effected his ability to make money playing poker, thus doing $10-$10k bankroll challenges rather than playing high stakes.

TBF to him, no-one wanted to play him @ HUNL for about 2 years, Sauce challenge aside, after which Sauce admitted he was very unprepared for but even with much better preparation he doesn't think he would ave been a favourite for the match. Not even Ike & co were stepping up...

Like you say though, a real poker-er would have learnt PLO, 8game, or gotten better at 6max... "I'm a scientist, not an artist" is a real good quote from him actually.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: