blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  United Airlines carnage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: United Airlines carnage  (Read 8848 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »

Randomly picked people on their computer
Will be whoever paid the least for their flights

Is that seriously how they work it?  Budget boys get booted first?  Makes sense from a business angle.  You wouldn't want to boot a guy who had just paid top dollar 6 hours before the flight to fly last minute.  Still incredibly harsh PR wise.  Surely you just up the ante with bribes until someone bites to get off and avoid the bad PR?  How often does this style of 'boot off' happen?  Surely never happens otherwise it would be on SM all the time right?

Can't imagine it would have been totally random; guessing there would have been at least a few frequent fliers/VIP customers on board and these people probably would have been immune from selection. It might have been random from a pool of passengers who United Airlines felt were fair game to remove?

Yeah its a massive own goal from them. It went from $400 (no takers) to $800 (2 takers), but then instead of offering more they got the heavies involved it seems. Whilst overbooking is prevalent, I've never seen anyone forcibly removed from an aircraft like that.

America; land of the free.

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »

Randomly picked people on their computer
Will be whoever paid the least for their flights

Is that seriously how they work it?  Budget boys get booted first?  Makes sense from a business angle.  You wouldn't want to boot a guy who had just paid top dollar 6 hours before the flight to fly last minute.  Still incredibly harsh PR wise.  Surely you just up the ante with bribes until someone bites to get off and avoid the bad PR?  How often does this style of 'boot off' happen?  Surely never happens otherwise it would be on SM all the time right?

Why don't they just operate a policy of the last 2 to check in get booted off?  Would speed up the take off process if people knew this.  Last minute check in types wouldn't be getting pissed so often in the bar if this was the policy.

Had two muppets doing this on the way back from Tenerife after Cheltenham. Was the flight before mine, and they had to move mine to another gate, because this dopey bird and her boyfriend were plotted up in the bar.

Best thing was, it was being piped every two minutes from the gate, and the bar was less than 20 yards away.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 11:21:25 PM »

There's something we are not being told.

Airlines know whether a flight is oversold way before everybody gets to the gate, let alone gets to their seats on the aircraft.

The editorial mentions that they had to accommodate 4 airline personnel, therefore 4 paying passengers had to come off. This "positioning crew" are also known in advance, and are taken into account usually before the gate opens, so that if people have to come off, they are held at the gate.

Seems like the Flight Management Unit screwed up in this instance.

All airlines have their own policies in terms of how they get the "oversolds" off the flight. I can't speak for United, but other airlines will take people off based strictly on the cost of the fare - so be careful when you use your airmiles, or pay for Handluggage Only tickets if you really need to get to where you want to on the day you want. But in any event, this kind of thing (people being forcibly removed) would never happen here in the UK unless they were being aggressive or disruptive.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:26:23 PM by 4KSuited » Logged
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 11:45:37 PM »

If they boot off the people that paid the least, they have to compensate less. Supposedly 4x what the they paid for flight in usa
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »

Drag an old guy off by his legs, and pay 4000x.

DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 01:40:37 AM »

But in any event, this kind of thing (people being forcibly removed) would never happen here in the UK unless they were being aggressive or disruptive.

You're not wrong there. I had the pleasure of a London > Ibiza Sleazyjet evening flight in September and the Police were called onto the flight to remove three passengers. After what seemed like an age of negotiations, ONE of the lads was booted off. Then some more talk and the rest were left there. I couldn't believe they didn't just yank them all off straight away on the stewards' say so.

I couldn't believe when I heard this story and am disgusted that they forcibly removed this customer from their plane. I hope United Airlines goes bust over this, and wouldn't be shocked if it happens.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »

why do airlines overbook?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »

Because there is always a certain number of no shows, and they know this,  they use it to max profits. When they get it wrong people are usually quick to take the £££.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »

Because there is always a certain number of no shows, and they know this,  they use it to max profits. When they get it wrong people are usually quick to take the £££.

Exactly that.

And the optimised revenue, even at, say, 5%, can be the difference between profit & loss. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »

This wasn't really overbooking.  They threw off seated passengers to make way for their staff for operational reasons.

The CEO said

Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this," the Associated Press quoted the email as saying.

"While I deeply regret this situation arose, I also emphatically stand behind all of you, and I want to commend you for continuing to go above and beyond to ensure we fly right."

WAC

The airlines license should be revoked until they amend their procedures.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »

2000+ post thread here, has a good summary in the Wiki at the top:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1835638-man-pulled-off-overbooked-flight-ua3411-ord-sdf-9-april-2017-a.html

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

Aviation Security Officers... These are the guys who man the security scanning processes at US airports. I've rarely met one who's had the benefit of customer service training. Standard approach is that everyone's a potential threat rather than trying to do their vital job whilst making travellers feel that it's simply an essential (if inconvenient) part of the air travel routine.

I must say that, having read the summary that Longines provided the link to, I do feel a little sorry for United.

Their part of this cock-up was the mis-management of the re-positioning crew's seating. All of this should have been dealt with before all the commercial passengers were allowed onto the aircraft. However, they got 3 of their volunteers by using the cash offer before encountering this guy who allegedly became increasingly belligerent and abusive. What's not their fault is the way in which the Aviation Security Officers chose to deal with the passenger, but they're getting the full blame for it.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

It is four and a half hours by car.  Shove the crew in a taxi if it is already fully boarded.  Seems stupid to delay the flight in the first place, never mind what happened after.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »

It is four and a half hours by car.  Shove the crew in a taxi if it is already fully boarded.  Seems stupid to delay the flight in the first place, never mind what happened after.

I think the contract between the airlines and unions/flight crew prohibits this otherwise they'd be doing it for lots of 'short' hops in the US.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »

the crew seating could of been air marshalls rather than pilots and cabin crew

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: