blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  United Airlines carnage
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: United Airlines carnage  (Read 8840 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »

Jeez, that thread on flyertalk is 156 pages long already!

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »

Pretty brutal for United the next time this situation comes up

How much do they pay to avoid the next video?

You reckon they pay up if every passenger on the plane holds out for 5k?

Serves them right for being cheap capping compensation offers at $1k
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:25:06 PM by DMorgan » Logged

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

the crew seating could of been air marshalls rather than pilots and cabin crew

It could have, but it wasn't.

It is four and a half hours by car.  Shove the crew in a taxi if it is already fully boarded.  Seems stupid to delay the flight in the first place, never mind what happened after.

I think the contract between the airlines and unions/flight crew prohibits this otherwise they'd be doing it for lots of 'short' hops in the US.

Airline employees f-cked up, so airline employees sort it out.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »

Jeez, that thread on flyertalk is 156 pages long already!

Saw that and closed it when I got to the bottom of the page.

One rabbithole I don't have the time to go down.

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

should bring in a law to stop overbooking
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

should bring in a law to stop overbooking

All well and good but ticket prices would go up if you are happy to accept that....
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »

I think the US equivalent of Martin Lewis fanboys love the overbooking thing, I've got a mate who always volunteers for it, then just dicks around on his laptop for 5 hours, and gets his next holiday travel paid for. Him and his Mrs got $1,600 of airline credit for waiting 4 hours last year and it paid for most of his holiday.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

I think the US equivalent of Martin Lewis fanboys love the overbooking thing, I've got a mate who always volunteers for it, then just dicks around on his laptop for 5 hours, and gets his next holiday travel paid for. Him and his Mrs got $1,600 of airline credit for waiting 4 hours last year and it paid for most of his holiday.

100% I would do it if I didn't have to be back at work which is usually the case.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »

Bonus point if Mr Crater can recognize the venue.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

Yep, there are discussion threads all over Flyertalk regarding V(oluntary) Denied Boarding and I(nvoluntary) Denied Boarding, can be very lucrative - this is a typical example for a 2.5 hour flight from Chicago to Orlando:

3/27 -- ORD-MCO, UA654 @ 6AM. Needed two volunteers. Gate agent comes on, offers $1,000 and F seats on the 11:15 AM flight. No takers.
10 minutes later, supervisor comes on board. Offers $1,500 and F seats on the 7:30AM flight (next flight out). So many call buttons, it sounded like a high-density 777.
If I didn't have wife and kids, I would've taken it. As it is, I half-thought about pulling one kid and taking it.
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »

Randomly picked people on their computer
Will be whoever paid the least for their flights

Is that seriously how they work it?  Budget boys get booted first?  Makes sense from a business angle.  You wouldn't want to boot a guy who had just paid top dollar 6 hours before the flight to fly last minute.  Still incredibly harsh PR wise.  Surely you just up the ante with bribes until someone bites to get off and avoid the bad PR?  How often does this style of 'boot off' happen?  Surely never happens otherwise it would be on SM all the time right?

Why don't they just operate a policy of the last 2 to check in get booted off?  Would speed up the take off process if people knew this.  Last minute check in types wouldn't be getting pissed so often in the bar if this was the policy.

I got so lucky in the mid 90's flying from Inverness to Heathrow with BA.

I was on a business trip, my company had paid the full fare and I needed to make the flight so was a tad concerned when I arrive at the check in desk (last to check in) and told the flight was full and was asked if I could wait for the next some 3 1/2 hours later with the compensation of a free ticket.

As I needed to fly the answer was a polite no with trepidation as it was the first time it had happened to me. The ground crew checked my ticket and then began discussing who they could take off such as lower paid fares or as it happened one of the airport service crew who had a freebie and was waiting to board but chatting to his friends at the desk.

A few years earlier a friend had been in a similar situation and was offered the 'dickie seat' behind the pilot on a flight from Manchester to Heathrow.

So I rather optimistically asked if I could fly down in the 'dickie seat' and save them shoving someone else off, although I felt if this happened they would surely give it to the airport service guy.

However, they had a chat spoke to the Captain and after what was a brief description of myself and circumstances they offered me the dickie seat and I snapped it up, obviously nothing like this would happen nowadays.

The next 2 hours or so was an experience I will never forget from turning left at the cabin door at Inverness and soaring off over the Moray Firth to landing at Heathrow with the 1st officer landing fully manually (seemingly the craft a 737 could land virtually on auto or so I seemed to recollect him telling me) and in a way it was just like a computer flying game.

Most of the flight was in the clouds and apart from regular checks it seemed very non-descript with both pilots saying they preferred flights less than 4 hours duration and we chatted mostly about golf as I felt a tad awkward asking tekky questions.

Anyway, that wasnt my only experience of being bumped off and after one event which caused me to miss a direct flight from Heathrow to Inverness I was assisted by the check in crew to get a flight from Heathrow/Glasgow/Inverness which I received compensation for and only delayed by about an hour and half.

So Im a bit confused as to how this airline got it so wrong as its a common experience.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »

The dude is a confirmed poker player btw http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=78128&_ga=1.238856832.1026347048.1466854393#
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

That escalated quickly.  Now his previous convictions are listed in the NY Post and elsewhere.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »

I made it to about page 29 on that thread on Flyertalk whilst at work earlier, dread to think how long it will be by 9am tomorrow! I'm an aviation geek so do enjoy browsing over there Smiley

How much regret from UA that they didn't just flash more compo and get passengers lured by the $$$ off the flight without being dragged? Their shares have already taken a sizeable dip, and the company is being blasted from all corners. Perhaps could have been avoided had they increased the offer above $800.....could potentially cost them millions and millions going forwards.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: