blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:55:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272586 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  New speeding laws start 24/04/2017
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New speeding laws start 24/04/2017  (Read 3325 times)
TimothyVanwinkle
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

I've usually set the speed at 54 on all these road works on the motoway but as from the 24th I could receive a fine and points for just being 1mph over.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »

Ffs, what a joke. Cannot stand the new trend for hiding speed cameras behind Every. Damn. Gantry. on 'smart' motorways. At least the 'incident ahead' messages are a little more accurate now.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »

I've usually set the speed at 54 on all these road works on the motoway but as from the 24th I could receive a fine and points for just being 1mph over.

Set it at 50 then.

Why does everybody seem to have a fascination with going 'just over' the limit no matter what it's set at?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »

Set it at 50 then.

Why does everybody seem to have a fascination with going 'just over' the limit no matter what it's set at?

No idea. It's wholly and utterly illogical.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »

Pretty sure you could have been done for 1mph over before so nothing has changed, the ACPO guidelines will still be 10% + 2mph. The only change is to some of the income multiplers when working out fine values.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »

Simply because I could get away with it and it would reduce a 2 hour journey. Also HGV's always do 54/55 along these road works and I think slowing them down and forcing them to overtake is dangerous.   Do you drive? If so do you drive at the exact speed limit everywhere?

Yes, and I have held a driving licence for 53 years.

12 years ago I got a 6 month ban for, in effect, doing 33 in a 30 at 5am.

It hurt like hell to be banned, but it really taught me a great lesson. I obey speed limits to the nth degree now.

Truly, driving at 54 instead of 50 or whatever does not get you anywhere faster, you just reach the back of the next bottleneck sooner.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »

Is there part of this story you're missing out? had you been on the booze?

I did actually set it at 50 for sometime but then realised I was constantly being overtaken by HGV's. Forcing HGV's out into the middle lane unnecessarily causes tailbacks and is dangerous.

Nothing significant missed out of the story, no. I have been teetotal for 49 years. A 6 month driving ban really teaches you a lesson, trust me.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »

Outrageous that they're not going to be as lapse on people breaking the speed limit Cheesy

I did a 6 monther as well, Tikay.

Definitely taught me to wind it in a bit, that's for sure.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »

Is there part of this story you're missing out? had you been on the booze?

I did actually set it at 50 for sometime but then realised I was constantly being overtaken by HGV's. Forcing HGV's out into the middle lane unnecessarily causes tailbacks and is dangerous.

I imagine the bit that was missed out was it was a 6 month 'totting up' ban and this offense would have been the final 3 points and £60 fine to take you to the dreaded 12 points having had numerous (usually 3) other minor speeding offenses in the previous 3 years.  Impossible to get banned for doing 33 in a 30 with a previously clean licence.  You never get 6 months for DD.  Minimum is 16 months i think for up to double the limit.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »

I'm guessing you already had 9 or 12 points on your license then?

You guessed correctly sir!  Twice actually.  I am an experienced man in these matters.  I enjoyed the court room banter deciding with the judge what my 'income' should be as a professional gambler on a couple of occasions in the past as well!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

I obey speed limits to the nth degree now.

Pftt!

The older I get, the better I was.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »

Simply because I could get away with it and it would reduce a 2 hour journey. Also HGV's always do 54/55 along these road works and I think slowing them down and forcing them to overtake is dangerous.   Do you drive? If so do you drive at the exact speed limit everywhere?

Me? Yes I drive and yes I drive slightly over the limit the same as everybody else. I wasn't excluding myself from that illogical obsession with going 'just over'.

I've been banned for speeding in the past, not for totting up points, I did it the proper way. 

These days I stick to 2 or 3 mph over the limit most places and about 80 on the motorway. (80 total, not 80 over by the way.....)

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »

Me? Yes I drive and yes I drive slightly over the limit the same as everybody else. I wasn't excluding myself from that illogical obsession with going 'just over'.

I've been banned for speeding in the past, not for totting up points, I did it the proper way. 

These days I stick to 2 or 3 mph over the limit most places and about 80 on the motorway. (80 total, not 80 over by the way.....)

pussy
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »

pussy

Haha not wrong there.

There's no doubt that age changes your attitude towards risk when it comes to speed. In my younger days the only time I'd have seen 80 is when I was accelerating through it Cheesy

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

i hate people breaking the speed limit who try to make me break the limits by driving so close to my rear that if i have to break i am going to get fcked in the rear.
yeah i have sped in the past (9points in 26 years) and would be happy to see the speed out in the country go upto 70 and 80+ on motorways but its not going to happen any time soon
the limit is there and too me its certainly not worth a ban for get somewhere 5-10-30 minutes quicker
on the roads up here during the day time its hard to pass but when an idiot in his souped up sports car sits 5m off your bumper on the off chance
of a passing place opening up you feel forced to open up the throttle to make yourself feel safe. i have no started slowing down though whcih really annoys them more
as they still can get past me but any accident will be at a much safer speed

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: