blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:48:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance?  (Read 2737 times)
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

I noticed Doobs recently posted a question about psychological processes behind our thinking as poker players.

I have recently finished my studies in psychology (probably why the post stood out to me). Another area where psychology may impact upon us as poker players has intrigued me for the last month or 2 and it is the link between better sleep and more optimal poker performance.

If anyone needs convincing as to just how important sleep is generally to our functioning then I can recommend this Ted X talk   by Robert Foster who is an expert on the neuropsychology underpinning sleep.

The very basic premise is that there is a lot of research indicating better cognitive functioning after we have had a 'good sleep' and poor performance if we are sleep deprived. This is apart from a mass of negative physical and mental health implications that can result from being sleep deprived.

The slightly deeper premise is that as we are awake during the day a lot of metabolic byproducts or toxins build up in the brain due to all the neural activity taking place. When we sleep the glymphatic system (referred to by some as the 'waste management system') 'flushes' a lot of these toxins away by 'bathing' certain areas of the brain in cerebrospinal fluid. On top of this a lot of 'memory consolodation' takes place while we sleep which has direct implications on our cognitive functioning in relation to memory and attention.

As poker players I think many of us get in a pattern of doing all our stuff during the day, whether it is chores or taking care of kids or employment responsibilities. Then in the evening, when we are probably generally becoming a bit more tired and haven't slept for a while, we start playing poker. This is obviously, if the above factors are considered, the least optimal time to play poker. I have also noticed I tend to be more cognitively productive when I waken up after a good sleep (i.e. I have just woken up and my mind is whizzing and spewing all this rubbish).

Through chance I had an opportunity recently to test this all out. I was completing my uni studies and also trying to take part in the UKOPS leaderboard on Sky poker. Time and sleep management became a major issue as I juggled both and the pattern I got into was as follows... 5-7 hours study during the day - an hour or 2 taking care of other stuff and getting dinner etc - an hour or 2 nap - then playing poker for 5-7 hours - and finally getting my regular sleep at night.

As I was now playing my poker directly after an hour or 2 nap I noticed a huge difference in my poker and much improved results, even although I was being stretched quite thin overall. Although I had previously wondered about the link between 'good sleep' and improved poker performance. This gave me a practical example of the implications. I agree this is a ridiculously small sample size to judge things by, but the science behind it also makes sense and is something that has therefore grabbed my attention.

So maybe this is something for players to generally consider if they are looking to find a little bit extra of an edge?

Would be great to hear some opinions on this.

I am done with my studies but if I decide to do further postgrad study this is definitely an area I would be interested in exploring further.

So has anyone noticed anything similar or do you think this is all a pile of steaming %^&*?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:33:26 AM by Marky_Crash » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »

Hi Mark,

Have fixed that You Tube link. (You always need to remove the "s" from "https").

PS - Agree with the post, too. Lack of sleep undoubtedly degrades our decision making process.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »

Many thanks Mr T! Smiley
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »

Because it's an entertainment pursuit most games will run in the evenin with greater choice, variety and number of games running.

I agree that a lack of sleep is really bad when it comes to playing poker. Also pretty bad is when there is a lot of other stuff going on outside of poker that affects concentration and limits performance or results in playing sub optimally.

As far the naps, not to sure on that one. There would need to be a far larger sample size, could it not just be a case of run good over a very small sample? 

Personally, I just prefer 8 hours of sleep a night and once up that's it till bedtime. If I ever sleep during the day for 2 hours (or whatever) always feel pretty bad once awake again, pretty lethargic and low on energy.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »

There would need to be a far larger sample size, could it not just be a case of run good over a very small sample? 

Oh yeah, it definitely could just be down to that! The only reason I gave it more weight though was that the science behind it backed up what happened.

Personally, I just prefer 8 hours of sleep a night and once up that's it till bedtime. If I ever sleep during the day for 2 hours (or whatever) always feel pretty bad once awake again, pretty lethargic and low on energy.

Yeah, we are all different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Look at Margaret Thatcher, she used to think of sleeping for a while as being 'weak'.

I think we generally take it for granted that 1 block of sleep at night is the best way to do things. It may be for some/many people but some cultures to this day like their siestas, so it isn't universal. Also there are some old pieces of literature referring to the "two sleeps each day" indicating that we may have had different sleep patterns in the past. The 1 block of sleep obviously fits in well with modern capitalist society but whether that means it is the most optimal pattern for our fuctioning and well being might be an entirely different matter.

Good points Smiley
cheesies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »

I'd add that I find playing in the daytime after not having slept well, or waking up early to play, as being the worst of all. Something to do with the adrenaline rush of getting up/starting the day + poker that leads to some enormous crashes if I'm not fully rested. Because of my timezome the earlier I start the bigger the games are that I get to play, which is even worse for the adrenaline too!

Taken me a while to learn but taking the day off >>> playing if I'm tired.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »

Look at Margaret Thatcher, she used to think of sleeping for a while as being 'weak'.

Although she did end up losing her marbles in later life...

Also there are some old pieces of literature referring to the "two sleeps each day" indicating that we may have had different sleep patterns in the past.

I remember reading about this. People tended to go to bed earlier than now, wake up in the early hours for a bit of reading/shagging or whatever, then back to sleep again til morning.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »

Completely agree. Studied Psychology myself and the key to optimal cognitive processes, whether it solving a problem at work, concentrating on the road etc, is all down to sleep. Reduced sleep messes you up big time.

I've never applied it to a poker setting, or really thought about it for some reason!

Feed em rice.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: