blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Dubai Advice
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dubai Advice  (Read 3120 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »

Looking to take my eldest daughter for her 18th around October time..

Info on weather at time of year and things to do/see places to stay etc appreciated

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »

Honestly, it was the worst country I've ever been to.

Women in particular are treated like shit. Foreigners looked upon with disdain.

Immigrant workers treated like dirt. Food overpriced and average.

Nothing much to do outside sunbathing.

Cannot think of many positives.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »

Certainly refrain from kissing your daughter whilst out and about, though this would be frowned upon in most countries.

I've never been but everyone says its woefully expensive.

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:41:13 PM »

Sounds like Clacton in the summer Cheesy

exstream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 02:27:19 AM »

Honestly, it was the worst country I've ever been to.

Women treated like shit?
Wonder what religion Dubai follows.
dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 04:46:05 AM »

Info on weather at time of year and things to do/see places to stay etc appreciated

Weather should be bearable, if you like some heat it'll be around the best time of year to come (summer is way too hot and humid).

Note that the drinking age is 21 in Dubai, though realistically no one is going to ask any questions so I wouldn't worry about anything aside from the sky high prices. Groupon has a lot of dining and boozing vouchers, so worth checking that out or researching happy hours. Yes, it's an expensive city but you can mitigate this somewhat with prep.

There are plenty of interesting dining experiences to be had. Lots of incredible sub continent food in old Dubai, the North Korean restaurant was one of the most surreal nights I've ever had.

Don't worry about being a foreigner or a woman here, it's one of the cleanest and safest places around.

Lots of misinformation and sensationalism from people who literally don't have a clue (See directly above). You won't actually see too many locals (80% expat here), and the society is actually tolerant - a blind eye is turned to a lot of rule bending. Same holds true of anywhere - just don't piss anyone off, especially in public.

Suggest an excursion to the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, get a ticket booked for dusk up the Burj Khalifa, see the Dubai Aquarium, skydive over the Palm, souks, abras and the Dubai museum in the old city, you can go dune bashing or a desert safari. To be fair there are a lot of options - most aren't particularly good to be fair, depends what you're looking for though.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »

Shoulda  gone to Wesrfield

sola virtus nobilitat
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Weather should be bearable, if you like some heat it'll be around the best time of year to come (summer is way too hot and humid).

Note that the drinking age is 21 in Dubai, though realistically no one is going to ask any questions so I wouldn't worry about anything aside from the sky high prices. Groupon has a lot of dining and boozing vouchers, so worth checking that out or researching happy hours. Yes, it's an expensive city but you can mitigate this somewhat with prep.

There are plenty of interesting dining experiences to be had. Lots of incredible sub continent food in old Dubai, the North Korean restaurant was one of the most surreal nights I've ever had.

Don't worry about being a foreigner or a woman here, it's one of the cleanest and safest places around.

Lots of misinformation and sensationalism from people who literally don't have a clue (See directly above). You won't actually see too many locals (80% expat here), and the society is actually tolerant - a blind eye is turned to a lot of rule bending. Same holds true of anywhere - just don't piss anyone off, especially in public.

Suggest an excursion to the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, get a ticket booked for dusk up the Burj Khalifa, see the Dubai Aquarium, skydive over the Palm, souks, abras and the Dubai museum in the old city, you can go dune bashing or a desert safari. To be fair there are a lot of options - most aren't particularly good to be fair, depends what you're looking for though.

My missus got ill out there (food poisoning).

We saw 2 doctors. I would grade one a generous D and the other a clear F.

The hotel staff/management were far more interested if we were going to sue them than getting her the appropriate help/care.

Terrible experience.

We ended up flying home with K in absolute agony, rather than move the date of our flight, we were so desperate to get out of the place and see a proper doctor.

I will say one positive, we went racing at Meydan and it was stunning. Best facilities and viewing I've ever experienced at a racecourse (no gambling allowed obviously). Somewhat doubt an 18 year old would be interested though.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:50:07 AM by The Camel » Logged

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »

Same for me, don't like the place so only advice is go elsewhere.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »

Thanks Guys

Interesting comments... was under the impression Dubai was one of the must go places Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »

Thanks Guys

Interesting comments... was under the impression Dubai was one of the must go places Smiley

If you like sparkly hotels, beaches and shopping it probably is, it's just not for me it has no soul imo...
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »

Thanks Guys

If you like sparkly hotels, beaches and shopping it probably is, it's just not for me it has no soul imo...

I knew if I waited long enough there would be a post by Woodsey I agreed with.

It's like Vegas without the gambling and shows.

And the food is about 20 notches below.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »

This place has changed - back in the day the only advice regarding Dubai would be 'just fold - he'll soul read you'.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »

This place has changed - back in the day the only advice regarding Dubai would be 'just fold - he'll soul read you'.

Haha, when I first saw the title I thought we might see something on the optimal price for a pair of slippers..used to be about a bottle

sola virtus nobilitat
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »

Went last year at Easter....kids, aged 8 and wife especially loved it, so we went back this Easter.

Why?

For us, easy to get to. lots of flights from Heathrow, not too far (7 hours) for virtually guaranteed sun and heat. No "health" issues. High quality accomm, service and food. ( and even the plugs are the same  Cheesy)

Loads to see and do ....although not sure the new Legoland would be high on her list  Smiley . Go up Burj Khalifa, visit water parks, Ski Dubai, Evening meal watching the fountain show, Dessert Safari, Old Dubai, Dubai Mall for shopping!  etc etc.

Generally yes it is an expensive place to holiday (especially now the pound has dropped since Brexit vote) The only cheap things I noticed is taxis!

We stayed on the Palm....being best for our kids....however a  "mainland" hotel is easier if you want to get around to places.

Tripadvisor has a great forum on Dubai with holiday experts for any questions.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: