blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Not such a benign opinion
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not such a benign opinion  (Read 3006 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »

If you kill another human being your life is taken from you instantly.

If on benefits and offered a job which you refuse every benefit it taken from you, again instantly.

From the other thread.

Thoughts?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »

Death penalty. What about miscarriages of justice? New evidence comes to light, convictions are overturned. Not much use if you've killed the "guilty" man

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »

If on benefits and offered a job which you refuse every benefit it taken from you, again instantly.

From the other thread.

Thoughts?

What does "your life is taken from you instantly" mean? Instantly when you're suspected? Instantly when you're convicted right there in the dock?

The older I get, the better I was.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »

maybe the judge could just bring the gavel down directly to the defendants head.

but then he'd have to hammer himself instantly too.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

who decides who gets the death penalty?

Jury, Judge?

Jury...

Spose a black guy is on trial for murder, and its pretty marginal, lots of circumstantial evidence but nothing that solid. 2 of the Jury are really racist and automatically prejudiced against the guy cos he's black, even if they keep their opinions completely quiet and dont attempt to influence any other jurors that's a pretty massive disadvantage as now only 4/9 unbiased people have to think he did it for him to be killed.

Judge...

Can we really allow one person solely to decide if another lives or dies? Can that really be a thing?? Sounds like the worst thing ever.

Those would be my primary concerns about a judicial death penalty, given the margin for error is exactly 0.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »

who decides who gets the death penalty?

Jury, Judge?

Jury...

Spose a black guy is on trial for murder, and its pretty marginal, lots of circumstantial evidence but nothing that solid. 2 of the Jury are really racist and automatically prejudiced against the guy cos he's black, even if they keep their opinions completely quiet and dont attempt to influence any other jurors that's a pretty massive disadvantage as now only 4/9 unbiased people have to think he did it for him to be killed.

Judge...

Can we really allow one person solely to decide if another lives or dies? Can that really be a thing?? Sounds like the worst thing ever.

Those would be my primary concerns about a judicial death penalty, given the margin for error is exactly 0.

Plus you have the phenomena of people who admit to crime they didnt commit (surprisingly common) and also obviously justifiable self defence.

I think there are plenty of people who deserve to die and the world would be better off without them, but these cases where the wrong person gets executed are such a big injustice its not worth it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »

From the other thread.

Thoughts?

What does "your life is taken from you instantly" mean? Instantly when you're suspected? Instantly when you're convicted right there in the dock?

In an ideal world as soon as someone deliberately killed another person they'd just instantly drop dead themselves without anyone having to worry about it. If it could be arranged that they are also cremated at the same time and disappear in to a could of ash that would be quite handy.

In fact let's just get them to drop dead slightly prior to deliberately killing anyone, that would be much better.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »

You could also argue, it's a little hypocritical to say

"KILLING PEOPLE IS WRONG"

"WHAT DID THIS GUY DO?"

"HE KILLED SOMEONE"

"WHAT! THAT'S THE MOST DESPICABLE ACTION A HUMAN CAN MAKE"

"ABSOLUTELY. RIGHT, LET'S KILL HIM THEN"

Obviously murder is different to capital punishment, but...it is still killing someone at the end of the day.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »

Surprised no one criticising second opinion

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »

Think most people probably hold a more tepid version of that, whereby if you have only just gone on benefits you shouldn't accept the first job offered, but once a certain amount of time has passed, beggers cant be choosers, as it were.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 07:53:54 PM »

Think most people probably hold a more tepid version of that, whereby if you have only just gone on benefits you shouldn't accept the first job offered, but once a certain amount of time has passed, beggers cant be choosers, as it were.

Obviously assuming said person is able to work etc
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »

You could also argue, it's a little hypocritical to say

"KILLING PEOPLE IS WRONG"

"WHAT DID THIS GUY DO?"

"HE KILLED SOMEONE"

"WHAT! THAT'S THE MOST DESPICABLE ACTION A HUMAN CAN MAKE"

"ABSOLUTELY. RIGHT, LET'S KILL HIM THEN"

Obviously murder is different to capital punishment, but...it is still killing someone at the end of the day.

The easiest argument against capital punishment is that if one innocent man is put to death that makes the state murderers too.

It is the one I usually use, because I cannot see how anyone can refute it.

But the argument David makes here is what I actually believe. If the state is putting people to death, I feel we are falling to their level.

Lock them up and throw away the key sure, but I don't understand why any single person should legally have the power to kill another.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »

Whilst I think there's some pretty horrible people out there that this planet would be better off not having inhabit it, the thought of one innocent person being put to death is my reason for opposing it. Just check out the Anthony Poter/ Alstory Simin case featured in the 'Murder in the park' documentary.

Cymru am byth
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »

Pretty sure OP meant a utopian situation where if you murder someone you just die on the spot with zero chance of mistakes?

Would probably put a few people off!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »

I think if it is clear someone has taken another's life,  ie, video evidence, multiple witnesses, like in some of the recent terrorist attacks, I have no issue with the Death Penalty. Where there is room for doubt, then fair enough.

It angers me to think that such people can have a life in prison, probably better than those poor homeless people on the streets, and invariably, even some that have homes.

I suspect if some of you had a relative or friend murdered, your stance may also change somewhat.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: