blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Is it really that bad?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it really that bad?  (Read 7620 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »

Watch the video below.

Is it fair & reasonable for the lass to be so upset & emotional about the Ebola comment?

I mean, it was an ill-judged comment, for sure, but her reaction seems a little ott. To me, anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40995165

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

Watch the video below.

Is it fair & reasonable for the lass to be so upset & emotional about the Ebola comment?

I mean, it was an ill-judged comment, for sure, but her reaction seems a little ott. To me, anyway.

Assuming the allegations are true, No, it's not really that bad. In fact I would go so far as to say that most British born white Caucasians would struggle to understand what all the fuss was about.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »

Watch the video below.

Assuming the allegations are true, No, it's not really that bad. In fact I would go so far as to say that most British born white Caucasians would struggle to understand what all the fuss was about.

Bit of a generalisation about us Caucasians, Red.  I know we are in a privileged position, but that doesn't make us all ignorant.

I frequently take the side of those who accuse racism, and rarely take the other, but this one just feels a bit unclear and messy.

The allegation, that he said that, has been denied, and I don't see a witness, and where are the others expressing solidarity.  This has blown up a couple of times before, but she still seems like a lone voice.  For instance, Jess Varnish got people who backed her up when she said there was a bullying culture in cycling. I also know the FA are useless too, but it has been independently investigated already.

I saw her interview and she got upset because this was an insult to her family.  But it really isn't, it may well be an ignorant insult to Nigerians, but (assuming he said this) would he really say anything different if she said she was bringing schoolfriends.   Or any other Nigerians...  And would he really say something different if the "Ebola" outbreak was in the US and she was bringing family from there?  It just feels a bit tenuous to assume he wouldn't say it to a white person from Nigeria, or any other country where there had been an outbreak of such a serious disease.  Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

The comment after the hattrick feels way more like banter than bullying.  I am sure I have referred to my eldest as a pain in the butt several times, but don't think I ever do without a smile, and I am reasonably sure she knows I love her. 

I am not sure if you are aware, but Hope Powell had allegations of unpleasentness to the team against her too.  She allegedly dropped players for no good reason too.

It is obviously a bit of a mess now, I don't know how Aluko can get back in the "team" after kicking up this fuss again.  If it was an individual sport, it is different.   The team has been doing well, and the players up front don't seem to be doing such a bad job.  And if she is saying she isn't any trouble, you could make a decent case...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »

Watch the video below.

Bit of a generalisation about us Caucasians, Red.  I know we are in a privileged position, but that doesn't make us all ignorant.

I frequently take the side of those who accuse racism, and rarely take the other, but this one just feels a bit unclear and messy.

The allegation, that he said that, has been denied, and I don't see a witness, and where are the others expressing solidarity.  This has blown up a couple of times before, but she still seems like a lone voice.  For instance, Jess Varnish got people who backed her up when she said there was a bullying culture in cycling. I also know the FA are useless too, but it has been independently investigated already.

I saw her interview and she got upset because this was an insult to her family.  But it really isn't, it may well be an ignorant insult to Nigerians, but (assuming he said this) would he really say anything different if she said she was bringing schoolfriends.   Or any other Nigerians...  And would he really say something different if the "Ebola" outbreak was in the US and she was bringing family from there?  It just feels a bit tenuous to assume he wouldn't say it to a white person from Nigeria, or any other country where there had been an outbreak of such a serious disease.  Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

The comment after the hattrick feels way more like banter than bullying.  I am sure I have referred to my eldest as a pain in the butt several times, but don't think I ever do without a smile, and I am reasonably sure she knows I love her. 

I am not sure if you are aware, but Hope Powell had allegations of unpleasentness to the team against her too.  She allegedly dropped players for no good reason too.

It is obviously a bit of a mess now, I don't know how Aluko can get back in the "team" after kicking up this fuss again.  If it was an individual sport, it is different.   The team has been doing well, and the players up front don't seem to be doing such a bad job.  And if she is saying she isn't any trouble, you could make a decent case...

Broadly, I agree with you, and I genuinely don't think it's a big deal, I was just trying to point out that it might be a big deal to her.

By and large, I think you have to be part of a minority and have been a long term victim of casual racism to really get it.

The best think I can equate it to is if, during your childhood you were different in some way, perhaps because you had a limp or a stammer or a glass eye, or whatever, even when you grow up and put it behind you, you will always be sensitive about it, especially on behalf of others.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

Watch the video below.

Broadly, I agree with you, and I genuinely don't think it's a big deal, I was just trying to point out that it might be a big deal to her.

By and large, I think you have to be part of a minority and have been a long term victim of casual racism to really get it.

The best think I can equate it to is if, during your childhood you were different in some way, perhaps because you had a limp or a stammer or a glass eye, or whatever, even when you grow up and put it behind you, you will always be sensitive about it, especially on behalf of others.

Wow, that is so, so, true.

The girl, it seems to me, is ultra high maintenance though.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »

He's certainly guilty of making an ignorant and insensitive remark, but I feel it's a stretch to lable it racist. I'm sure that if he was truly racist she'd have better examples to cite. Given the nature of football culture, your average racist would struggle to stay under cover I would think.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »

If anything he's geographically ignorant as well

Nigeria[edit]
Further information: Ebola virus disease in Nigeria
The first case in Nigeria was a Liberian-American, who flew from Liberia to Nigeria's most populated city of Lagos on 20 July 2014. On 6 August 2014, the Nigerian health minister told reporters that one of the nurses that attended to the Liberian had died from the disease. 5 newly confirmed cases were being treated at an isolation ward.[212]
On 22 September 2014, the Nigerian health ministry announced, "As of today, there is no case of Ebola in Nigeria." According to the WHO, 20 cases and 8 deaths were confirmed, including the imported case, who also died. 4 of the dead were health workers who had cared for the index case.[213]
The WHO's representative in Nigeria officially declared the country Ebola-free on 20 October 2014, after no new active cases were reported in the follow up contacts, stating it was a "spectacular success story".[214] Nigeria was the first African country to be declared Ebola free.[215]

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »

The arrest comments about the mixed race player seems way more ott although lo and behold the recording of the meeting didn't show it. Not to say it definitely didnt happen but that seems odd. Really weird situation and I feel pretty sorry for both sides. I doubt Mark Sampson is racist but it's hard to argue that the top league goal scorer shouldn't go either and the reasons gave re the meeting are pretty pathetic.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »

The arrest comments about the mixed race player seems way more ott although lo and behold the recording of the meeting didn't show it. Not to say it definitely didnt happen but that seems odd. Really weird situation and I feel pretty sorry for both sides. I doubt Mark Sampson is racist but it's hard to argue that the top league goal scorer shouldn't go either and the reasons gave re the meeting are pretty pathetic.

I think the top league scorer is a bit of a red herring.  She only scored 9 and Jodie Taylor was been playing in the tougher league in the US.  Jodie Taylor has scord more frequently for England.  Toni Duggan and Ellen White are as prolific for England.  So she is one of a handful of good strikers and not the only one.  She has had more of a run in the team than Jodie Taylor.  There are plenty of really good players in the men's game who never appeared to get the caps they deserved.  She could have been dropped for complaining, but she could have just been dropped to try something different and it is difficult to conclude the replacement players haven't played well enough.   

If it isn't on the recording, I am not sure what more you can do.  I guess it could have been deleted, but it also seems plausible that it wasn't said too.  Some people make stuff up, some people hide evidence.  It is pretty hard to be conclusive.

These things need to be investigated, but it has been.  Without knowing the full story on that investigation, it is hard to draw conclusions too.  We are told it was independent and it appears to have been. We can hear one side, and the other side is going to have trouble refuting it as some evidence will be confidential.   

It just all feels a bit like, something may have been said, something may have happened.  And even if something were said, were they really that bad.  This isn't Ron Atkinson, and not sure it is even Geoffrey Boycott.

I guess the best result is if they make the investigation public, but there are bound to be some very real difficulties in doing so.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »

An independent report found Sampson had no case to answer for bullying and harassment.

She refuses to take part in the investigation.

Then makes what appear to be additional allegations.

All a bit weird don't you think? He totally denies making the ebola comment.

Doesn't feel right the way BBC are running the interview as headlines sports news.

Maybe she should have voiced all this at the enquiry instead of trial by media now?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »

An independent report found Sampson had no case to answer for bullying and harassment.

She refuses to take part in the investigation.

Then makes what appear to be additional allegations.

All a bit weird don't you think? He totally denies making the ebola comment.

Doesn't feel right the way BBC are running the interview as headlines sports news.

Maybe she should have voiced all this at the enquiry instead of trial by media now?

This.

DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »

Well they've been stuffing women's sport down our throats for months now, so this just seems a continued trend in that direction.

I really would love to find out how many clicks women's football gets compared with, say, the big Championship news on their site. If lots of people are interested in it/clicking, then fair enough, but I am sceptical.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »

And no, I don't think the comment is that bad, I'm sure he would have said it to anyone whose family/friends were coming from an Ebola-affected country, what ever their skin colour.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »

Well they've been stuffing women's sport down our throats for months now, so this just seems a continued trend in that direction.

I really would love to find out how many clicks women's football gets compared with, say, the big Championship news on their site. If lots of people are interested in it/clicking, then fair enough, but I am sceptical.

100% agree.

Today's lead sports story on BBC Breakfast was...................Womens rugby.

Is it really providing a service to the licence fee payer to constantly lead with minority sports which frankly no one really has any interest in?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »

I'm a massive rugby fan and even I dont give a fk about womens rugby....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: