blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Is it right?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it right?  (Read 4330 times)
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:07 PM »

My eldest started school this week, and today was her first full day.
Today she came home with a bible.
The book is a gift from a local church. It's a small Christian village school. On the open day I raised the issue of religion and was told the school was run to Christian values but matters of faith were not within the early years of the curriculum.
I am not aware our faith has been discussed/confirmed nor was it stated on the application for the school.

Is it right for a school to give away bibles on behalf of a local church?

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »

The head of state in the uk is the head of the C of E.

Bibles in schools are the least of the uks issues in religion.

My daughters school is very C of E, the majority of parents are not, it just is ignored. The head just sends email inviting parents to chapel, who knows if anyone actually goes.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »

not right but accepted.

the head of state is head of the C of E - an anachronism wrapped in regression - but that church is dying on its arse.  fewer people attend its chruches then at any other time, and world wide its struggling to hold on to power. especially in countries where its impolite to say bumming a man ain't a sin. so a dying institution has power and privilege, great innit.

kids have inquiring minds, and to the biggest questions religion offers boring unimaginative answers. it promotes supine credulity and its not even decent enough to be interesting whilst doing so.

send the book back
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »

My daughter goes to a C of E school, and fully believes in God and jesus et Al. She'll learn the correct way when she's older, we have no real issue with it for now although I did question a few things at the start.

Worryingly though her school report last year she was expected on everything except blooming RE which she was exceeding because she was so good at re-telling the stories of jesus.

We've had some good chats with her about her beliefs and ours, been quite honest with her that we don't believe in it while she does, she's a stubborn little madam but we're quite happy that she stood up for herself and her beliefs instead of just doing what we told her. Had a chat about the asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs and evolution in general, she simply said she doesn't believe God would have sent the asteroid or that we're descended from apes.

In conclusion, they will probably teach RE and your child will probably believe it while they're young and naive, plenty of worse things in the world though.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »

My daughter goes to a C of E school, and fully believes in God and jesus et Al. She'll learn the correct way when she's older, we have no real issue with it for now although I did question a few things at the start.

Worryingly though her school report last year she was expected on everything except blooming RE which she was exceeding because she was so good at re-telling the stories of jesus.

We've had some good chats with her about her beliefs and ours, been quite honest with her that we don't believe in it while she does, she's a stubborn little madam but we're quite happy that she stood up for herself and her beliefs instead of just doing what we told her. Had a chat about the asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs and evolution in general, she simply said she doesn't believe God would have sent the asteroid or that we're descended from apes.

In conclusion, they will probably teach RE and your child will probably believe it while they're young and naive, plenty of worse things in the world though.

How old is she? I'm surprised you're so relaxed about that level of indoctrination. Many would disagree about the "plenty of worse things".
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »

your daughter is coming home from school not believing in historical and scientific fact due to indoctrination?

worse her mind has been closed off to changing that opinion as she has all the simple answers of religion: god willed it so.

fuck me.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

your daughter is coming home from school not believing in historical and scientific fact due to indoctrination?

worse her mind has been closed off as she has all the simple answers of religion: god willed it so.

fuck me.

He sent his kid to a church school.  What did you expect to happen? 

I didn't send mine to a church school.  My eldest has picked up some odd ideas from religion regardless. 

I am pretty relaxed about it, because

She is intelligent, she can work it out for herself.  She is going to go her own way in the end regardless of what I think. 
Their minds don't get closed off, they change them daily.
There are way worse things, and it is kind of funny to suggest otherwise. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »

worse her mind has been closed off to changing that opinion as she has all the simple answers of religion: god willed it so.

fuck me.

She's 6. Just starting her second year. She will learn when she's older,  she's a clever kid in general, they're doing dinosaurs this term so they teach evolution and history. It's the best school in the area so I don't mind her learning what she's learning

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »

i'd not expect a kid to come home from a school being closed off to some pretty foundational knowledge.  people who don't believe in evolution are pointed at - even at the politest of dinner parties, innit.

yeah there's always summat worse. but if we shut down working on every problem smaller and less worse than cancer, genocide and famine we wouldn't have an interweb message board to moan on, innit.

carvey007 i've no doubt that your kid willl be fine. but having a kid come home from school thinking she knows the mind of god well enough to dismiss something like dinosaurs would frighten me.
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »

Because of my parents....

I went to the church playschool as a baby / infant

I attended church from 4 years old until the age of 13/14 and sat through numerous services and teachings

I was a member of the cubs and the scout group linked to the same church ( which was a Christian organisation with regular prayer sessions )

i attended the church Christian youth club

I was confirmed in the same Church at 14

Later in life I actually got married in the same church ( very beautiful building so like many I got married there for the wrong reasons )

As you can see from above I was exposed to a lot of church life in my youth which certainly taught me certain "values" but I can say I am not a practicing Christian or a church goer , in fact my experiences made me feel that Christianity and the bible was too intense " repent and turn to god or else " type rhetoric's  didn't sit too well with me !

My brother currently sends his 4 year old son to the local C & E school because it has the best exam results , but because he was exposed to the same childhood as myself he hasn't a problem with whatever the school teach or preach his boy.

I dont regret my church childhood because it has had more a positive than negative experiences

As a punter and poker player I wont be wearing a dog collar anytime soon ( though I do say little prayers now and again when all in )

As regards the school giving out a bible , So What ? its a C of E School thats what they do , see it as just part of lifes rich tapestry and no doubt your child will grow up drawing her own conclusions.

Got to go now and register for my next poker tournament

Peace x
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »

^ Same here mate, I had a staunch Catholic upbringing, don't really follow it now but it didn't do me any harm and was more positive than negative like you.....
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »

i'd not expect a kid to come home from a school being closed off to some pretty foundational knowledge.  people who don't believe in evolution are pointed at - even at the politest of dinner parties, innit.

yeah there's always summat worse. but if we shut down working on every problem smaller and less worse than cancer, genocide and famine we wouldn't have an interweb message board to moan on, innit.

carvey007 i've no doubt that your kid willl be fine. but having a kid come home from school thinking she knows the mind of god well enough to dismiss something like dinosaurs would frighten me.

She didn't dismiss the dinosaurs, they're doing that as a project now. She dismissed the fact that while she seems to believe that God made everything, she was stubborn in her belief that God didn't send the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. I enjoyed the arguement with her on that one and the fact that give it a few years and she will have no belief in God no matter what she's taught at school

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »

I went to Sunday School, until I found where they kept the sweets hidden...

Wish teddybloat could be a bit more melodramatic, too Grin

Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »

Oh, also they had a school trip to the local hindu temple last term as well which she enjoyed. They teach everything, she hasn't been restricted from anything and she's made her own decisions, I have no worries at all about her, and as I say I appreciate the fact that she didn't just agree with me and that she stuck to what she, at the very moment, believe, to me, it shows character that she doesn't blindly believe everything (even if she does currently believe in a celestial omnipotent being who created everything)

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »

at 6 many kids still believe in Santa they soon grow out of it

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: