blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Apprentice 2018 thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Apprentice 2018 thread  (Read 49088 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »

Sure.

This was the Order they were auctioned in (alphabetical)

Andrew
Anisa
Bushra
Charles
Elizabeth
Elliot
Harrison
Jade
James
Jeff
Joanna
Michaela
Ross
Sajan
Sarah Jayne
Sarah
Siobhan

This was the prices paid...

Andrew 380
ANisa Kieth 170
Bushra Alex 150
Charles Stato 10
Elizabeth Kieth 10
Elliot Kieth 240
Harrison Kieth 320
Jade Stato 270
James Alex 270
Jeff unsold
Joanna Stato 70
Michaela Stato 270
Ross David 370
Sajan not sold
Sarah J Stato 270
Sarah L David 210
Shiobhan unsold

I bought Jeff and Sajan for 210 each and Alex got Shiobhan.

As the list goes on there is some strategic payments, for example I paid only 210 for Sarah Lynn because the most anyone had left was 200 Smiley

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:51 PM »

Travelodge?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »

<3 The Apprentice.

My word they're hopeless.

Allez!!
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »

<3 The Apprentice.

My word they're hopeless.

They must surely be scouting out the worst possible guy in a suit.

Not a clue amongst them.

If this was a genuine search for a business guru, the person choosing these candidates would be gone after this.

Clearly its almost just a comedy show now.

Still great entertainment though.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:23:03 PM »

That was expensive.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »

That was expensive.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »

BTW I think everyone saying tey're all useless is a bit harsh, I think you gotta remember that the genius of the Apprentice process is that the tasks are close to impossible.

Think about what makes it possible to complete tasks like real business world...

1) Genuine field expertise
2) Clear Hiearchy
3) Financial incentives for people to do their jobs properly

Elizabeth for example I'm sure last night everyone was watching thought she was a huge moron and obviously utterly useless at business, but if you think about she runs a florist, she'll be an expert in florist-ing (!), she'll be the boss and have legitimate authority because she's the owner and everyone working for her are suitably motivated to work FOR her because its her paying their wages. In these conditions she'll probably be great.

Now though she's in a field she knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about, working with people she doesn't know, in a Hierarchy that is not remotely respected by anyone, there is no incentive for people to tow the line the only incentive is to be seen by Claude/Karen/Lord Sugar to be doing something sick.  NOT ONLY THIS, that you're expected to do a very professional job with people you've never worked with who are incentivised  to screw you over but you've only got 48 hours to do it.

I'm pretty sure that expert teams of people who've been designing hotel rooms for years and years would take several weeks to design and prepare a hotel room like that.

Basically the tasks are set up for them to be pretty impossible for anyone to ever do a good job ever (at first in particular) and its that not the ineptitude that makes the candidates look so clueless at the start, that's what makes it so fun to watch Smiley

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

BTW I think everyone saying tey're all useless is a bit harsh, I think you gotta remember that the genius of the Apprentice process is that the tasks are close to impossible.

Think about what makes it possible to complete tasks like real business world...

1) Genuine field expertise
2) Clear Hiearchy
3) Financial incentives for people to do their jobs properly

Elizabeth for example I'm sure last night everyone was watching thought she was a huge moron and obviously utterly useless at business, but if you think about she runs a florist, she'll be an expert in florist-ing (!), she'll be the boss and have legitimate authority because she's the owner and everyone working for her are suitably motivated to work FOR her because its her paying their wages. In these conditions she'll probably be great.

Now though she's in a field she knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about, working with people she doesn't know, in a Hierarchy that is not remotely respected by anyone, there is no incentive for people to tow the line the only incentive is to be seen by Claude/Karen/Lord Sugar to be doing something sick.  NOT ONLY THIS, that you're expected to do a very professional job with people you've never worked with who are incentivised  to screw you over but you've only got 48 hours to do it.

I'm pretty sure that expert teams of people who've been designing hotel rooms for years and years would take several weeks to design and prepare a hotel room like that.

Basically the tasks are set up for them to be pretty impossible for anyone to ever do a good job ever (at first in particular) and its that not the ineptitude that makes the candidates look so clueless at the start, that's what makes it so fun to watch Smiley

I agree with your points on one level. However, no one expects the best designed bedroom ever.

What makes them so stooopid are the fact they all talk over each other, and no one spots they have fiscal targets to meet etc. Im sure a lot is in the editing, but there is no smoke without fire etc.

As the boys were designing in the bedroom, when they put four suitcases in the room, I just laughed with the wife and said "wtf, no one wants more suitcases in a room, there is never any space to put your own one in the first place", to then hear them say they were the clothes storage, it was the final straw. Bring a case to move it into 4 cases on top of each other??!!

I call that pretty clueless if not one of 7/8 of them couldn't spot that, regardless of whatever else they might bring to the party.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
edgascoigne

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »

The first week's task could not be more straightforward, Dave.

1. Ascertain best footfall.
2. Decide cost per unit.
3. Decide desired margin / cost of production.
4. Get a wiggle on making them.
5. Be present and sell hard for lunch rush.
6. Sell excess to trade.

Agree that this one is a bit fiddly mind.

Allez!!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

So well cast every year. Where do they find them?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »

They'd do better at a lot of companies I interact with - distinct lack of Americanisms -no one circling back or reaching out so far. Very disappointing

Regards

n

sola virtus nobilitat
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »

I think the other thing as well is you have some good people in there for sure, but at the start its always a certain type of person who sticks out - those loud, over confident ones who think themselves business gods superior to all others with actually no real talent or results to back it up... Even the good ones got caught up in their nonsense!  Sarah Jayne might be ok, if she was in an actual team she was actually the leader of she'd maybe have done a good sub-team job, however she had Elizabeth with her who was in a mood because she wasn't made sub team leader and just ignored her and went off donking about, Sarah got made to look pretty shit in last nights episode.

2. Decide cost per unit.
6. Sell excess to trade.

True - the girls did a pretty decent job, only thing that let Sarah L down was that her sub team went opposing instructions and bought cheap meat so the burgers were pretty rubbish. The boys faffed about for far too long because no-one listened to anyone and Charles wanted to show the world how clever he was.

Also, as simple as that sounds in your list (and i'm sure you're right) I think its actually quite a bit tougher than that, under the time pressure. I've been involved in successful food pop up projects and the planning takes months, working with people I know.

edgascoigne

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »

I think the other thing as well is you have some good people in there for sure, but at the start its always a certain type of person who sticks out - those loud, over confident ones who think themselves business gods superior to all others with actually no real talent or results to back it up... Even the good ones got caught up in their nonsense!  Sarah Jayne might be ok, if she was in an actual team she was actually the leader of she'd maybe have done a good sub-team job, however she had Elizabeth with her who was in a mood because she wasn't made sub team leader and just ignored her and went off donking about, Sarah got made to look pretty shit in last nights episode.

2. Decide cost per unit.
6. Sell excess to trade.

True - the girls did a pretty decent job, only thing that let Sarah L down was that her sub team went opposing instructions and bought cheap meat so the burgers were pretty rubbish. The boys faffed about for far too long because no-one listened to anyone and Charles wanted to show the world how clever he was.

Also, as simple as that sounds in your list (and i'm sure you're right) I think its actually quite a bit tougher than that, under the time pressure. I've been involved in successful food pop up projects and the planning takes months, working with people I know.

When you're making them work for a sustained peiod yours is a genuine challenge, however. In that you need sustainability of proposition, brand, 'buy in' etc. In the first episode of the Apprentice literally all they had to do was make some burgers, cook them, and sell them. The presence of a film crew in an area of high footfall ensures traffic from those who can't wait to feature on TV - I dare say they could be serving up shit sandwiches (almost literally) and still get away with it. You can only sell it whilst there's footfall, however. Missing the lunch window in that task is just horrific.

The early weeks are such compelling viewing as the participants are all Chiefs and no Indians. A collection of individuals desperate to prove their own ability with no sympathy or understanding of synergy and working as a cohesive unit. I always wonder what would happen in those weeks if one team was granted a 'wildcard' of a genuine business superstar who they could not but help listen to. I feel like they could do 500% that which the typical team achieves.

Allez!!
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

So well cast every year. Where do they find them?

Excelled themselves this year. Not two brain cells between either group.

Regards

Ri
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 01:28:47 AM »

2. Decide cost per unit.
6. Sell excess to trade.

All those incredible business minds and not one of them pointed out that they should probably try to sell some burgers during lunch hours.....doesnt seem that hard imo

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: