blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Uber
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uber  (Read 5073 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »

Wow just such a bad decision. Would be so impactful that it would make me reconsider living here at all. Uber is a huge part of my life as sad as it sounds.

Addison Lee is not a bad alternative if Uber are driven out.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »

Wow just such a bad decision. Would be so impactful that it would make me reconsider living here at all. Uber is a huge part of my life as sad as it sounds.

Didn't know you passed your test, and did a bit of driving on the side, Pads.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »

Didn't know you passed your test, and did a bit of driving on the side, Pads.

Many loves for this.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »

Dreadful decision.  Mayor is clearly on the side of the black cabs.  Feels a real lack of impartiality and disregard for consumers.

Take away Uber and people are back into dodgy cabs or stranded without a lift.  Safety my backside.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

It's pretty LOL for them to be moaning about drivers losing jobs when it is their aim to have driverless cabs ASAP.

My brother is in the tech industry and he says google want their cab company up and running by 2021. Interesting times.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »

"The Uber decision is not about safety. It's about shutting down an unpopular competitor"

This.

An absolutely dreadful decision. It's a throwback to the dark days when the Print Unions & Dockers ruled the roost & resisted competition.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail as to Uber's legal appeal.

Uber (and it's backers) are losing hundreds of millions in subsidising cheap fares - it's not exactly a fair fight, is it?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »

"The Uber decision is not about safety. It's about shutting down an unpopular competitor"

This.

An absolutely dreadful decision. It's a throwback to the dark days when the Print Unions & Dockers ruled the roost & resisted competition.

Uber (and it's backers) are losing hundreds of millions in subsidising cheap fares - it's not exactly a fair fight, is it?

Undercutting rivals is as old as the hills as a business strategy.  People talk of it as if Uber have just discovered electricity.

Even if Uber hike up their prices in the future they will still be cheaper than black cabs and the service is superior in any case.  Black cabs are an antiquated service that has had it's day.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »

This.

Undercutting rivals is as old as the hills as a business strategy.  People talk of it as if Uber have just discovered electricity.

Even if Uber hike up their prices in the future they will still be cheaper than black cabs and the service is superior in any case.  Black cabs are an antiquated service that has had it's day.

Yup, it’s black cabs that need to be upping their game to get competitive one way or another....

Uber don’t thrive here in Nottingham, there are a few around but the local cabs are far more competitive so they haven’t done as well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:26:14 PM by Woodsey » Logged
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »

This.

Undercutting rivals is as old as the hills as a business strategy.  People talk of it as if Uber have just discovered electricity.

Even if Uber hike up their prices in the future they will still be cheaper than black cabs and the service is superior in any case.  Black cabs are an antiquated service that has had it's day.

Undercutting your rivals by operating on a smaller profit margin or working more efficiently is fair enough; but I'm pretty sure that making a massive loss over an extended period of time because you've got backers with deep pockets is not a massively used strategy.

Not that it's unheard of but in general it's a strategy to pay for a future monopolistic market which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be a good outcome either.

As others have mentioned Uber has other advantages rather than just being cheaper. At the moment some analysts are suggesting they can only run as a proper business once they get rid of drivers (as that's where all their money is being drained); but if they ran a proper market rate with the better service and fully following the regulations then I'm sure they'd still have a market.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »

Jesus over-react much people?!

It's a fucking taxi joint!

Uber is good, convenient and good value - I hope it stays saying you'd reconsider where you live because of a taxi company is, utterly ridiculous. Like saying you're moving house because the  crisps at the local tesco are a bit soggy 

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »

This.

Undercutting your rivals by operating on a smaller profit margin or working more efficiently is fair enough; but I'm pretty sure that making a massive loss over an extended period of time because you've got backers with deep pockets is not a massively used strategy.

Not that it's unheard of but in general it's a strategy to pay for a future monopolistic market which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be a good outcome either.

As others have mentioned Uber has other advantages rather than just being cheaper. At the moment some analysts are suggesting they can only run as a proper business once they get rid of drivers (as that's where all their money is being drained); but if they ran a proper market rate with the better service and fully following the regulations then I'm sure they'd still have a market.

Most businesses post losses in first few years of operation.  Par for the course. This really is nothing new.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »

Its like comparing Aldi and Waitrose surely?  The products are not comparable

'Brand London' probably think London deserves the premium product to give the right image to their city to the world.  It sends a big statement globally this ban.  The only time i used Uber was in London and i was amazed how they could ever make any money given the price they charged for the journey i had.  The long term monopoly to kill off competition at a short term loss then crank up the prices in the future seems the only way it will work or driverless cars.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »

'Brand London' probably think London deserves the premium product to give the right image to their city to the world.  It sends a big statement globally this ban.  The only time i used Uber was in London and i was amazed how they could ever make any money given the price they charged for the journey i had.  The long term monopoly to kill off competition at a short term loss then crank up the prices in the future seems the only way it will work or driverless cars.

I'd use Uber over black cabs if prices were identical.  A superior more convenient service imo.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »

I'd use Uber over black cabs if prices were identical.  A superior more convenient service imo.

Not sure about that, if a black cab is just there I’d just jump in that tbh. I like not having the faff of handing over cash at the end of the journey though....
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »

'Brand London' probably think London deserves the premium product to give the right image to their city to the world.  It sends a big statement globally this ban.  The only time i used Uber was in London and i was amazed how they could ever make any money given the price they charged for the journey i had.  The long term monopoly to kill off competition at a short term loss then crank up the prices in the future seems the only way it will work or driverless cars.

I'd use Uber over black cabs if prices were identical.  A superior more convenient service imo.

Everyone likes different things in a service.  The rare times i am in central London and i am more of a cash punter than cards generally a black cab just ticks all the boxes.  Easy to find, no hassle paying in cash and great banter/quality of service usually with the drivers in my experience.  I have never thought they were that expensive either tbh i just think Uber is incredibly cheap and unsustainable if they are to treat their staff correctly in the modern working environment.

Congrats on Watford's start to the season btw.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:51:32 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: