blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Homage to Catalonia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Homage to Catalonia  (Read 2084 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »

Had a good long chat with a mate at work today. He comes from Barcelona..he explained how ugly this could all get and some of the pre modern history to me. I was slightly familiar with the period 1936 onwards but knew little of the couple hundred years before..fascinating as you would expect.

Where next for this ?

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »

Looks like the govt are a long way from even entertaining the idea, so they will highly likely get their way for a long time to come and it will probably get a lot heavier....

What’s next, a ref for Cornwall?  Grin
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

Looks like the govt are a long way from even entertaining the idea, so they will highly likely get their way for a long time to come and it will probably get a lot heavier....

What’s next, a ref for Cornwall?  Grin

I'm not worried so much by the independence or not discussion. Police state type reactions and European leaders looking the other way gets my goat though. I'm very frustrated today. May switch of the news for a few months

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »

How can writing your opinion on a piece of paper and putting it into a box be illegal?

I would be interested to know what law it contravenes.

The older I get, the better I was.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »

How can writing your opinion on a piece of paper and putting it into a box be illegal?

Just guessing, but the same kind of law that prevents the Scots from having another referendum whenever the SNP fancies one.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

Just guessing, but the same kind of law that prevents the Scots from having another referendum whenever the SNP fancies one.

Yeah, I understand, but let them put the paper in the box. The result is not binding and changes nothing.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »

Beat me to it.  It has been said many times that the SNP cannot say they are going to have a referendum as it isn't their choice.

I guess there are going to be laws on who can decide on a referendum, what should be on it and the process by which they take place.

Having said that, the whole thing looks to be appalingly handled by the state.  There was I worrying that the reliabilty, or not, of Ryanair was my biggest issue with my upcoming trip to Barcelona.  Still, at least we aren't flying with Monarch.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

Beat me to it.  It has been said many times that the SNP cannot say they are going to have a referendum as it isn't their choice.

I guess there are going to be laws on who can decide on a referendum, what should be on it and the process by which they take place.

Having said that, the whole thing looks to be appalingly handled by the state.  There was I worrying that the reliabilty, or not, of Ryanair was my biggest issue with my upcoming trip to Barcelona.  Still, at least we aren't flying with Monarch.  

If the Scots decided to spend their money on a national, non legally binding poll I'd hope we wouldn't send in the Army..I imagine if they thought they had a problem before it just got bigger. By the way,  just continuing on yr post..not disagreeing..Probs obvious but don't want to be misconstrued

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »

Whichever way you cut it..Pretty strongly feel that beating people up and chucking them down stairs is a pretty significant abuse of power and I'd like to hear something from other european leaders clearly condemning this abuse

sola virtus nobilitat
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »

Guessing that the reason for the madness was because Catalonia was going to declare independence within days if Yes won, and now looks set to do so, with all the disruption that will cause, even if it's not valid.

If you're going to ignore the result anyway, it would have been better to let them vote. It's even more of an own-goal in that it seems there was a fair chance of the majority voting against independence, but who was going to fight the police to exercise their right to vote No?
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:28:01 AM »

Fascism still alive and kicking in Spain. 

The silence from European leaders and those democrats from America and other places that seem to hold the rest of the world to their high standards is staggerring. 

No Pasaran!
Viva Catelonia.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 04:57:39 AM »

It's not just about history/culture/language. It's just as much about money. I worked for the UK branch of a company from Barcelona a couple of years ago and spent a lot of time there. I don't know how many people told me that their region had most of the industry and produced most of the wealth. In their view, they were hard-working but the rest of Spain, apart from Madrid, was lazy. In particular, they really disliked people from the South, who they perceived as lazing around half the day on siestas, and living off the wealth generated by Catalonia. I found it interesting that there was a Czech and a German in the office, who had both lived in Barcelona for years, and they felt just as strongly about it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: