blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272627 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Sometimes, even the internet doesn't know the answer.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sometimes, even the internet doesn't know the answer.  (Read 3239 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »

Content removed while I fix it
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:33:37 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:32 PM »

Bollocks!

I can't fix it tonight. The picture hosting app that I've been nagging Tony to use has gone tits up.

Karma.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »

I was drawing thin there, but I hit the miracle river.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »

Bollocks!

I can't fix it tonight. The picture hosting app that I've been nagging Tony to use has gone tits up.

Karma.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »

Bollocks!

Karma.

Get in son, get in.

Bit of Shakespeare for you. Tal will be mightily impressed.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »

Bollocks!

Karma.

Get in son, get in.

Bit of Shakespeare for you. Tal will be mightily impressed.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:05:03 AM »

WARNING! BORING THREAD.

Those of you with something, (could be virtually anything) better to do, look away now.

Almost 20 years ago, I saw this watch in a shop window.

It cost £300, which was an astounding price for me to pay but the specs just blew me away.

It's made from super tough titanium so it's very strong but incredibly light.

It has a sapphire crystal glass that doesn't scratch.

It has a black face with big, easy to read contrasting white numerals which glow on the dark.

It's waterproof to 200 meters.

It is solar powered so never needs a battery.

Now the blurb said it has a rechargeable capacitor that is good for ~ 15/20 years so I thought, 15 years, that's good enough for me.

So I bought it, put it on my wrist, and there it has stayed, day and night, maintenance free for almost 20 years.

Then it stopped.

I was devastated. I sent it back to Citizen to have it serviced but they said it was too old an they no longer carried the parts. I spoke to a friendly technician and he told me that Citizen stock parts for discontinued models for many years but the 2011 tsunami in Japan washed their storage facility away and they lost a lot of stuff.

He went on to tell me that Citizen were bound by company policy to only fit original parts, but that a good watchmaker would be able to fit an aftermarket capacitor.

The trouble was, my watch has a monocoque case (cut from a single block with no back opening) and I couldn't find anyone to touch it.

While I was searching online I discovered that Citizen had brought out a replacement for my watch and it was almost identical. On the plus side it was now waterproof to 300 meters, but on the minus side it had a Royal Marine Commandos logo on the dial.

The other minus was it was priced at ~£360 with the titanium bracelet.

Still, my 20 year old model is making more than its original price, (sometimes double) on eBay so the RMC one should be a good investment.

I dithered for a while before deciding to buy it and then managed to snag the very last one in a half price sale. Woo!

Then, Ironically, I managed to find someone who could fit a capacitor into my old watch for the princely sum of £25. It's all fixed now and as good as new.

I could easily sell the RMC one for a profit but I'm going to keep it because even this 'new' model is becoming scarce.

Now. To my question.

When I store the new watch, should I

A- keep it in the dark so that after 6 months ish the capacitor goes flat and the watch stops?

B- keep it in the open so that the ambient light tops up the capacitor but eats into its admittedly long life span?

C- pull the crown out do that the watch hands stop but may leave the mechanism exposed to dust and moisture?

I would also be interested to know about distribution and storage of Eco Drive watches after manufacture. For instance, has a 2010 model watch sold in 2017 been lying around in a shop for 7 years?

Even with all the collected wisdom of the internet at my disposal, I can't seem to find the answers to these questions.

PS- I did warn you that this post was boring.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:20:17 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:21:42 AM »

PPS - After 6 edits, I think I've got all the typos out.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »

Thread was worth the wait, good yawn that.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »

Apologies, YARN not YAWN.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Thomas,

Have you had a natter with Lord Trumper about this? He's a bit of a watch whizz. Don't buy or sell one from him though, hard to get the right side of a deal with The Trumper.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

B

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »

Danny Toffel owns a watch retailer, he'd probably be able to point you to someone

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »

Bollocks!

Karma.

Hi Tom I started to use the app you recommended and was brilliant. Then at the weekend when I was in Italy it stopped working. Still not working. Have re started my phone and even uninstalled and re installed the app. Have you managed to get it working again? If so how?

Thread is boring mind. :-)

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Bollocks!

Karma.

Hi Tom I started to use the app you recommended and was brilliant. Then at the weekend when I was in Italy it stopped working. Still not working. Have re started my phone and even uninstalled and re installed the app. Have you managed to get it working again? If so how?

Thread is boring mind. :-)

Yup, story fits, I know the feeling.

Can't begin to tell you how many hours I wasted on it.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: