blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:01:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Spotify from Scratch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spotify from Scratch  (Read 13190 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »

I had two "hasn't it finished yet?" 's during the 17 minutes of Marillion. Prog rock hasn't reached my teenagers yet.

Not all a disaster though. They liked east 17.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »

Isn’t subjecting a kid to 17 minutes of Marillion covered by child abuse laws?
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

C'mon Tighty, detailed update required on likes/dislikes of all songs Wink
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 09:49:54 PM »

Avoided using spotify for so long for a reason I've long forgotten.

This seems as good a reason as any to sign up.

Many thanks for all the contributors.

My two for what its worth would be :
2. Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis. Sing along nonsense!

That was the one that first came to mind, for me.

Think the 2nd would be 'One' by Metallica.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »

You don't want to go there. Second time in my life avenged sevenfold have caused me grief

My eyes are open wide
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:19 PM »

You don't want to go there. Second time in my life avenged sevenfold have caused me grief

C'mon, you have done more controversial stuff (posters of the year Cheesy)

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »

I hope so. You've given me a great idea to deal with the 3 next door. 18 Marillion albums at least hear we go....

Thinking back perhaps I expected too much. I should have picked something a little more conventional like Sugar Mice or even Suppers Ready by Genesis when they were really good Wink I also looked back at alot of choices for the New Order Song and the first few that came to mind were Hurt by Johnny Cash, Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls, It's my Life by Talk Talk and at least 3 by Depeche Mode!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:15:03 PM by Supernova » Logged

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »

I hope so. You've given me a great idea to deal with the 3 next door. 18 Marillion albums at least hear we go....

Thinking back perhaps I expected too much. I should have picked something a little more conventional like Sugar Mice or even Suppers Ready by Genesis when they were really good Wink I also looked back at alot of choices for the New Order Song and the first few that came to mind were Hurt by Johnny Cash, Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls, It's my Life by Talk Talk and at least 3 by Depeche Mode!

next time,Enjoy the silence (literally)

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2022, 11:48:47 PM »

Late addition to the Marillion love in.

So tonight I noticed a tweet by Marillion supporting the nurses, and I thought I used to listen to Grendel and enjoy it, so I thought I'd look it up and OMFG.

Always thought they were unfairly ridiculed just because of the mullet and the prog rock origins.  I am sure Strict for a Jester's Tear is still an ok listen, but this starts a bit crazy with the long sleeve/no sleeve combo and somehow gets more and more bonkers. 

https://youtu.be/Is-WlIn300A (dunno why YouTube links have changed, maybe it is my phone?

Can see why comments were turned off.  If you can't stomach it all, skip to the last 5 minutes.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2022, 03:49:24 PM »

Echobelly - Great Things

Kasabian - Underdog

Like yr choices - two I would always listen to all the way if they popped up on me

sola virtus nobilitat
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 12:22:19 AM »

So tonight I noticed a tweet by Marillion supporting the nurses, and I thought I used to listen to Grendel and enjoy it, so I thought I'd look it up and OMFG.

Always thought they were unfairly ridiculed just because of the mullet and the prog rock origins.  I am sure Strict for a Jester's Tear is still an ok listen, but this starts a bit crazy with the long sleeve/no sleeve combo and somehow gets more and more bonkers.  

https://youtu.be/Is-WlIn300A (dunno why YouTube links have changed, maybe it is my phone?

Can see why comments were turned off.  If you can't stomach it all, skip to the last 5 minutes.

It's fair to say Marillion are definitely Marmite. Some love them some hate them, some don't like H being the "new" lead singer even though he's been in the band much longer now than when Fish was with them and he's still there. They have both written fierce songs, love songs and everything in between. They are all really nice blokes in RL and do a bit for good causes. FWIW My fav tracks change all the time - there are so many but this week they are from the fish era Warm Wet Circles - Clutching at Straws released in 1987 and The title track from Afraid of Sunlight released in 1995.

For anyone interested the Prog_music Channel on YT has a series of Marillion best moments of The Fish era, the H era, Steve Rothery epic guitar bits and lots more.

Here is the link for Vol 1. https://youtu.be/R70EA6Zvx0g Fill your boots. Tighty can look away now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:40:22 AM by Supernova » Logged

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 10:31:40 PM »

Always thought they were unfairly ridiculed just because of the mullet and the prog rock origins.  I am sure Strict for a Jester's Tear is still an ok listen, but this starts a bit crazy with the long sleeve/no sleeve combo and somehow gets more and more bonkers.  

Can see why comments were turned off.  If you can't stomach it all, skip to the last 5 minutes.

It's fair to say Marillion are definitely Marmite. Some love them some hate them, some don't like H being the "new" lead singer even though he's been in the band much longer now than when Fish was with them and he's still there. They have both written fierce songs, love songs and everything in between. They are all really nice blokes in RL and do a bit for good causes. FWIW My fav tracks change all the time - there are so many but this week they are from the fish era Warm Wet Circles - Clutching at Straws released in 1987 and The title track from Afraid of Sunlight released in 1995.

For anyone interested the Prog_music Channel on YT has a series of Marillion best moments of The Fish era, the H era, Steve Rothery epic guitar bits and lots more.

Here is the link for Vol 1. https://youtu.be/R70EA6Zvx0g Fill your boots. Tighty can look away now.

I am pretty sure I have every Marillion album from the Fish days.  I did move to Manchester not long after and it is fair to say my taste in music moved on, though I still listen to the old stuff.  Did you watch the video?  It is well and truly bonkers, kind of wish I'd seen him live now.

Back to the original topic.  I just avoid Spotify as they are pretty terrible at paying artists, so I tend to spend a lot of my time on 6 music and listening to CDs/vinyl.  I guess it has been coming a while, but Little Simz released her new album on the 12th, it may have changed by now but you can listen for free or buy Vinyl.  There was no CD option. 
I want to support you ffs.

Seems like 2020s CDs are going to be as rare as 1990s Vinyl?  I can see they could go the way of cassette tapes? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:39 AM »

I am pretty sure I have every Marillion album from the Fish days.  I did move to Manchester not long after and it is fair to say my taste in music moved on, though I still listen to the old stuff.  Did you watch the video?  It is well and truly bonkers, kind of wish I'd seen him live now.

Back to the original topic.  I just avoid Spotify as they are pretty terrible at paying artists, so I tend to spend a lot of my time on 6 music and listening to CDs/vinyl.  I guess it has been coming a while, but Little Simz released her new album on the 12th, it may have changed by now but you can listen for free or buy Vinyl.  There was no CD option. 
I want to support you ffs.

You asked if I saw the video, where do I start! I'm probably in there somewhere I need to work out which gigs they are. I must have gone to seen them maybe 80/100/150+ times? The first time I saw them play live was on the Grendel tour in 1981 at I think the Band in the Wall in Manchester. The last time I saw them was either in Cardiff just before the Pandemic or at the last Holland Marillion weekend which was a bucket list thing. I have a big box of music memories I need to go through with autographed stuff, not just Marillion but with Yes - my first big love them Gabriel era Genesis my second love then Floyd Rush and Marillion and a few more, Bowie Roxy etc. I was grounded a few times!

Seems like 2020s CDs are going to be as rare as 1990s Vinyl?  I can see they could go the way of cassette tapes?

I have no idea, Newportlad moans at me for hogging a corner of the living room that has a fraction of the Vinyl, Cassette tapes, CD's I used to have along with my Sony sound system with double tape deck and turntable. Everything has it's day and then eventually comes around again. I have a lot of stuff that means nothing to anyone else but the world to me music wise. I can honestly say that I am glad I was born when I was because the music was great and there aren't many bands etc that I missed seeing and regret it. Happy days.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2022, 09:36:04 AM »

100 or so gigs. I appreciate the dedication and sure they do too

sola virtus nobilitat
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2022, 03:24:16 AM »

I'm small fry compared to a good number of fans who are now retired and relentlessly go all over the world seeing them including the Prog Cruise to the Edge which sails every January around the Caribbean. The band could decide they want to retire too, every tour could be their last. After my 2nd hip went wrong I doubt I'll see them live again, I've always been a get at the front kinda gal and I can't do that so much anymore so it's not the same for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:33:27 AM by Supernova » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: