blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The world cup
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The world cup  (Read 55234 times)
Sciss0rhands

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »

France were worthy winners, I thought. Great comeback from them after their meltdown in 2010.

Love their Manager, Didier Deschamps, who I vividly recall playing for Chelsea, but I can barely believe he is 49 years old.

Agree, they were the best and most consistent team. Mbappé was amazing all tournament, so crazy he’s still just 19
Sciss0rhands

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »

Down to the ref rather than VAR though. How did this clown get the final?

Exactly, the VAR is just a tool and is only as good as the person using it. There were many suspect VAR decisions throughout the tournament, just comes down to bad decisions made by the refs, the VAR is still fundamentally a useful tool.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »

I thought it was a deliberate hand ball and the ref got it spot on.

The older I get, the better I was.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »

When someone flashes a shot and there is a million people in the way,  ball goes out of play. Ref/lino give a goal kick straight away.

Replays show ball took a deflection and it should be a corner. Why doesn't VAR get involved then?

I think teams should get one VAR challenge a game and that's it.  You can use it for anything - corner, throw in, penalty - and If correct you keep it.  Would stop players being in refs face, be clearer to crowd when being used  and would remove ambiguity of when used.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2018, 08:53:55 AM »

How is it clear and obvious if you have to study it forever?

This one didn't fall into the "clear and obvious" category, since it wasn't a decision he made and then reversed - he just didn't see it.

Then he gets told in his ear, take a look at this handball. He takes a look, yup I missed that, I think its deliberate therefore pen. It doesn't have to be clear or obvious for him to give it in this case. That's how I understand the rule anyway.

Whether that was the right decision is a different matter. He does move his hand and leg towards the ball and in an unnatural position, but it was so quick it's really hard to be sure it was deliberate.

On my understanding, you are correct.   There are two different criteria; clear and obvious errors and missed serious incidents.  If this was the latter, he only has to decide if he thinks it was a penalty.  I would have preferred it wasn't given, as I had Croatia in the sweep, but it seemed reasonable to give it.

I think Modric was a worthy winner of the golden ball too.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »

Handballs seem to look terrible on replays in slow motion.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »

Note also it wasn’t used for the not free kick leading up to the first goal.

Yet had that goal been scored from open play they’d have disallowed it if there was a foul in the build up.

It’s a mess. I’d be feeling very hard done by if I was Croatian.

Blue text
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »

Explaining the pitch-invasion by four members of Pussy Riot during the world cup final:

https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/world-cup-2018-the-moral-clarity-of-pussy-riots-protest

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »

Seen on Twitter;

Harry Kane wins World Cup Golden Boot, with Luka Modrić picking up the Golden Ball and Neymar taking home the Men’s 3m Springboard.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Mcbain11

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »

It was an incredible pre world cup to try and line up who would take home the golden boot, betting purposes wise. I had gone with Lukaku myself based on what was a paper weight group. As it turned out, the same group yielded the win. Definitely the track to go down in years to come with top scorer bets imo.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: