blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176552 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »

Do you think all this snooker on telly will cause another boom?

It might, yes.

I was reminded of your question when I saw Peter Ebdon doing his punditry, & it took me back to the era when he was playing. Jeez, he may have been a great player, but he was really painful to watch, or I thought so anyway. Viewers must have turned off in their millions. Now, if we know Ronnie (or several others) are playing, we make an effort to watch.

The standard of play, both in attack & defence, has improved beyond recognition, & there are some interesting characters making a name for themselves, especially the Chinese kids.

The quality of TV coverage is better, too, though I wish they dispense with the gimmicky & un-necessary stuff. Watching & listening to Colin Murphy chat with Jimmy White & Neil Foulds does not exactly set the pulse racing. Eurosport have introduced their "token pretty female" now too. (Sexism alert....). She's undoubtedly a lovely girl, but she knows nothing about snooker, & every single one of her questions is banal, she's snooker's answer to Derek Thompson.

"You've got through, winning 6-0 Ronnie, how does it feel?"

"You only had to pot that simple red to win, but you missed it. Were you disappointed?"

FFS.

Just to come back to this, why didn't you like watching Ebdon Tone?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »

It might, yes.

I was reminded of your question when I saw Peter Ebdon doing his punditry, & it took me back to the era when he was playing. Jeez, he may have been a great player, but he was really painful to watch, or I thought so anyway. Viewers must have turned off in their millions. Now, if we know Ronnie (or several others) are playing, we make an effort to watch.

The standard of play, both in attack & defence, has improved beyond recognition, & there are some interesting characters making a name for themselves, especially the Chinese kids.

The quality of TV coverage is better, too, though I wish they dispense with the gimmicky & un-necessary stuff. Watching & listening to Colin Murphy chat with Jimmy White & Neil Foulds does not exactly set the pulse racing. Eurosport have introduced their "token pretty female" now too. (Sexism alert....). She's undoubtedly a lovely girl, but she knows nothing about snooker, & every single one of her questions is banal, she's snooker's answer to Derek Thompson.

"You only had to pot that simple red to win, but you missed it. Were you disappointed?"

FFS.

I just thought he never had any zing or pep about him.

I suspect he's one of those people who wait for the pedestrian lights to go green before he crosses the road, even though no vehicles are in sight.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

It might, yes.

FFS.

I just thought he never had any zing or pep about him.

I suspect he's one of those people who wait for the pedestrian lights to go green before he crosses the road, even though no vehicles are in sight.

I couldn't stand watching Ebdon play either probably because he came across as the dour polar-opposite of the dashing Stephen Hendry.

I have changed my mind about him since he started commentating though as I find him surprisingly excellent.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »

I interviewed Peter Ebdon once. I guess about 15 years ago. He was way more interested in talking about race horse breeding to me than talking about snooker or himself. Seemed like a nice guy though from my short time chatting to him. I rooted for him after that!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »

I interviewed Peter Ebdon once. I guess about 15 years ago. He was way more interested in talking about race horse breeding to me than talking about snooker or himself. Seemed like a nice guy though from my short time chatting to him. I rooted for him after that!

Think he bred Staffies for a while.

Edit: here's him in 2005. Might just be owner, rather than breeder:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:34:16 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:05 PM »

It took us exactly three hours to play four frames of snooker with liberal amounts of waffle and a cup of tea each served at the table.

Anyone care to guess what the high break was for each of us?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »

It took us exactly three hours to play four frames of snooker with liberal amounts of waffle and a cup of tea each served at the table.

<30 both

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »

I liked watching Ebdon. His sheer effort, dedication and dour determination just appealed to me.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »

I liked watching Ebdon. His sheer effort, dedication and dour determination just appealed to me.

Having been on the receiving end of your relentless safety-game yesterday I completely understand.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »

<30 both

Correct 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »

I'm going to have a tenner on Stephen Maguire to win it outright. I think he's 12/1

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »

Had a fiver on this kid to beat O'sulivan too.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »

Not sure I've ever seen anyone use the rest the way he does.

Seems to work for him though.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »

Not sure I've ever seen anyone use the rest the way he does.

Seems to work for him though.

Yes.

I like him, seems well grounded and has a good temperament. 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »

Wow! What a shot. Needs to go in and win the frame from it now.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: