blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The £50 note
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The £50 note  (Read 3555 times)
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »

Was in the bank the other day and one of the staff said that the £50 note was going to be phased out. Apparently 'no-one uses it now-a-days'. I'd heard that the €500 note has been withdrawn, but surely not the 50?

So I look into it online and apparently the BofE are currently considering whether to replace it!

What do people think about this, and the new plastic notes we've got?
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »

The plastic notes slip out of my pocket too easily. Couple of times I've noticed I've dropped a tenner.    I don't have that many £50's to worry about but it wouldn't bother me if they were phased out.  I can't help but feel they are a bit of a hassle to get change from.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

I hate the plastic money. It slips out of your pocket and you can't uncrinkle it.

The older I get, the better I was.
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »

It's comical that people in the UK still think that a £50 note is a lot and that it's a hassle to get change from. €100 notes always accepted if the shop has change in the NL.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »

I like the new notes a lot. They're so clean and nice compared with the old ones. They don't crinkle much and don't tear at all and I'm sure they don't carry as much bacteria. The new pound coins are much nicer too.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »

I like the new notes a lot. They're so clean and nice compared with the old ones. They don't crinkle much and don't tear at all and I'm sure they don't carry as much bacteria. The new pound coins are much nicer too.

If ATM's pumped out £50 notes in general society like 50 and 100 euro notes are in Europe then there would be no stigma attached to them being associated with only criminal activity.  Hardly anyone i know outside of gambling has ever seen a £50 note which is just insane when you think how little £50 buys you nowadays.

They do tear i got given a fiver the other day that was basically tore in half.  First time i had seen it.  Once they are torn as well they tear completely very easily.
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »

A little off topic, but in China the largest bill is a £10 note equivalent, and as it's difficult to pay for things in anything else than cash as a foreigner, you end up carry huge bundles of cash around.
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

I like the new notes a lot. They're so clean and nice compared with the old ones. They don't crinkle much and don't tear at all and I'm sure they don't carry as much bacteria.

They're not as easy to count out though as they stick together. Perhaps their stickyness will reduce as they get worn? I thought they were a great idea before they came out but find they easily pop out of wallets and pockets.

As for the £50 notes - surely the BofE realise that, eventually, a loaf of bread will cost £50 due to inflation. At some point they will have to re-issue a larger denomination note than the 20. Unless they think that cash will cease to exist before that's a problem...
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »

why on earth would they remove it? It's a perfectly reasonable amount of money to have in a note. The 500 Euro note, as cool as it is, I agree is a little excessive.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »

Since I stopped playing poker and dramatically reduced my gambling I hardly ever see fifties. I can't actually remember last time I had one.

When I was a regular spew monkey I'd always have a few in my wallet and can't recall ever having a problem spending them.

I can't see it being a huge problem if they disappeared. How many people in the normal world pay for expensive things in cash anyway?

Almost everything I buy these days is contactless even the small transactions for a couple of pints. Before contactless it was a pain but now it's easier and more convenient than cash.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »

Since I stopped playing poker and dramatically reduced my gambling I hardly ever see fifties. I can't actually remember last time I had one.

When I was a regular spew monkey I'd always have a few in my wallet and can't recall ever having a problem spending them.

I can't see it being a huge problem if they disappeared. How many people in the normal world pay for expensive things in cash anyway?

Almost everything I buy these days is contactless even the small transactions for a couple of pints. Before contactless it was a pain but now it's easier and more convenient than cash.

Same, have zero use for it now I don’t play poker very often. As you say probably 90%+ of my purchases are with card anyway now.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »

I use them for Xmas presents, and that's about it.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »

Don't forget I've moved house Marky!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »

Don't forget I've moved house Marky!

Cheesy

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

Remember when cash was King.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: