blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WSOP 2018
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP 2018  (Read 61145 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »

Love him or hate him Hellmuth 15th bracelet is some achievement

Certainly is, wp him.

He gets a lot of stick from the hotshot kids who know everything as to his technical anility as a poker player, but he still keeps winning bracelets.  

I know it was only a jab but I don’t think it was the right spot . I doubt many of the hotshot kids jab at Hellmuth because of his ‘technical’ ability. He obviously does a lot of things right and has an intimidating table presence. The reason so many of the ‘hotshot’ kids have a go at him is because for someone who has played as long as he has and should be an ambassador for poker he really represents himself rather poorly time and time and again. In fact, I’m curious why you are quick to call out the ‘hotshot’ kids who generally behave rather well imo but don’t call out the older generation of dealer abusers and card throwers etc.

Recently he ‘called out’ the hotshot kids who play for tiny pieces of themselves in super high rollers whilst selling at a rip off markup himself and also having a small piece. He’s just a bad loser who can often lack class.

All that said, I feel he is probably a good person and has a good heart but let’s not turn this round on the young hotshots. He is a representative of the old school and while his results prove the older generation can still kick it with the younger guys and are very impressive, his behavior isn’t.

Apologies for the mini rant.  I’m on a diet and miserable.

<3

Clearly.

"hotshot kids" is just a turn of phrase use by intelligentsia like myself. In fact, technically, I am a "hotshot kid".

I would return - with thanks & gratitude - your <3 thing, but I don't actually know if it means good or bad. Does it mean you love me?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:24:56 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »

Love him or hate him Hellmuth 15th bracelet is some achievement

Certainly is, wp him.

He gets a lot of stick from the hotshot kids who know everything as to his technical anility as a poker player, but he still keeps winning bracelets.  

I know it was only a jab but I don’t think it was the right spot . I doubt many of the hotshot kids jab at Hellmuth because of his ‘technical’ ability. He obviously does a lot of things right and has an intimidating table presence. The reason so many of the ‘hotshot’ kids have a go at him is because for someone who has played as long as he has and should be an ambassador for poker he really represents himself rather poorly time and time and again. In fact, I’m curious why you are quick to call out the ‘hotshot’ kids who generally behave rather well imo but don’t call out the older generation of dealer abusers and card throwers etc.

Recently he ‘called out’ the hotshot kids who play for tiny pieces of themselves in super high rollers whilst selling at a rip off markup himself and also having a small piece. He’s just a bad loser who can often lack class.

All that said, I feel he is probably a good person and has a good heart but let’s not turn this round on the young hotshots. He is a representative of the old school and while his results prove the older generation can still kick it with the younger guys and are very impressive, his behavior isn’t.

Apologies for the mini rant.  I’m on a diet and miserable.

<3

Clearly.

"hotshot kids" is just a turn of phrase use by intelligentsia like myself. In fact, technically, I am a "hotshot kid".

I would return - with thanks & gratitude - your <3 thing, but I don't actually know if it means good or bad. Does it mean you love me?

Yeah means I love you bud.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

Were he to win it for a second time, where would you rank Cada's achievement in poker terms?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 13, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »

Main Event - Day 8 update

Play from 9 players down to 6 took just 47 hands, with the last six then playing out to the end of the level.

Michael Dyer took the lead from Nicolas Manion early when the latter laid down a hand on the turn after placing over 5m chips in on earlier streets, but the first fifteen hands basically saw players just getting comfortable with each other and their positions, all guaranteed at least one million dollars.

The first action hand came on hand 16, and it played itself really. Antoine Labat (the short stack) raised on the button with Kings, Artem Metalidi shoved from the Small Blind with Queens and the Frenchman called. Unfortunately for him there was a queen on the flop and neither of the other two kings appeared.

9 Antoine Labat ($1m)

Joe Cada chipped up throughout the early exchanges and had moved up to 4th spot

The next big hand was number 25, a clash between the two big stacks where the pot eventually was bet up to about 35m. Dyer eventually won it at showdown with top pair top kicker, and he was up to 138m with Manion down to 77m

Despite busting Labat, Metalidi began to drip down, and not far into Level 37, he shoved his last 6m with pocket fives, with Aram Zobian over-shoving from the Small Blind. When the cards were turned over, Zobian showed King-Queen of diamonds. The flop had something for both players, 6-5-2 with two diamonds. A blank on the turn meant Metalidi was still ahead, but the 4 of diamonds on the river eliminated the Ukrainian

8 Artem Metalidi ($1.25m)

With seven players left, one, Australian Alex Lynskey hadn't won a single one of the first 46 hands, his almost 26m chips at the start of the day being reduced to less than half that. He found a pocket pair (sixes) on Hand 47 and after a raise and a call in front of him, went all in. Chip leader Dyer passed but John Cynn looked him up with KQ suited. Similar to Metalidi's elimination, Lynskey was ahead on the flop (10-9-3) and the turn (another 10) but a Jack on the river filled Cynn's gutshot

7 Alex Lynskey ($1.5m)

When there were 22 players left, it was 50:50 between the US and the Rest of the World, but with Lynskey's elimination, the final 6 were 100% Americans.

In the remaining action, the rich got richer as Dyer won another chunky pot off Aram Zobian, and then another couple of smaller pots but then lost a hand that went all the way to showdown to Manion. The final few hands saw former winner Cada get active, going all in on the river on a hand against Manion forcing a fold and similar action (albeit on a smaller scale) against the same opponent.

Chip stacks for Day 9
Seat 1 John Cynn 61.55m
Seat 2 Tony Miles 57.5m
Seat 3 Nicolas Manion 72.25m
Seat 4 Aram Zobian 16.7m
Seat 5 Michael Dyer 156.5m
Seat 6 Joe Cada 29.275m

The starting level (Level 38) will be 500K/1m with a 150K ante) so there's no need to insult anyone's intelligence by saying how may Big Blinds player have.

Event 68 - The Little One For One Drop, $1000 + $111 NLH, Day 4 of 4, 4732 entries

It's been a good series for Chinese players, and it's got even better now as the Droplet was won by Guoliang Wei

If you're going to win a huge event, what better way to do it than a straight flush, his Queen-10 of spades being complimented by a flop which included the Jack and 9 of spades, which also gave his opponent Francois Tosques a set of jacks. All the chips went it and the Chinese rail gave a huge roar as the King of spades came on the river.

Wei picks up $559K, Tosques $345K with third place going to the start-of-day chip leader, Christopher Staats ($254K)

The last British player standing was Paul Byrne who bowed out in 13th spot for a little under $30K

Event 72 - $1500 NLH/PLO mix 8-handed, Day 3 of 3, 707 entries

Polk wins, not Doug Polk, but semi-pro player Jordan Polk who took his first bracelet and over $197K.

We had two British players making the top 10 - Jerome Bradpiece finished 10th for $13781 while Samuel Welbourne made the FT and collected $43K for his 5th place.

Event 73 - $1000 Double Stack NLH, 30-minute levels, Day 2 of 2, 1221 entries

It was Russia against Spain for Event 73, with the former eventually coming out on top after a heads-up battle that went one way, back to the other and back again. Denis Timofeev was the victor, defeating Leo Margets (maybe best known for reaching the final 3 tables of the 2009 Main Event).

Daniel Pridham was the last British challenger, eliminated in 24th spot for just under $6K, while six players earlier we saw the back of Nicholas Smith (who Hendon Mob have linked up with a Canadian player who had one recorded cash in 2010) for $4838

Event 74 - $10K Big Blind Antes NLH Championship, Day 1 of 3, 355 entries so far

28 additional entries before the start of Day 2 boosted the prize pool to the extent that the winner will pick up over $814K.

17 players are still in contention to collect that huge cheque (or pile of cash I guess) with two British players amongst them - Mark Teltscher and Scott Margereson). The top 3 are all American, Paul Volpe, Martin Zamani and player of the year contender Shaun Deeb.

Event 75 - "The Closer" $1500 NLH (30 minute levels), 2 Day Event, 502 entries so far

The last event at this price point will see 3 Day 1s, with a perhaps disappointing 502 players playing Day 1A.

54 of them remain, and a very familiar name/face sits at the top end of the stacks, Bertran "Elky" Grospelier. He only has 1 bracelet to his name, but will be in a good position when Day 2 rolls around to start looking for his second

Nelson Resendiz lies second, and Marius Kudzmanas third.

Leif Force, Dan Shak and Jeremy Ausmus are among the other qualifiers, as is Farah Galfond, the wife of Phil and former daytime soap actress.

Event 76 - $3K HORSE, Day 1 of 3, 354 entrants

The last sub-50K entry event, and we have a Brit as th Day 1 chip leader - Adam Owen from Kent. He has almost 100K chips, with the two closest challengers being Kristan Lord and Gennady Shimelfarb.

Two more WSOP regulars from the South Coast, Ben Dobson and Benny Glaser have also made Day 2 along with Frank Kassela, Greg Mueller, Brandon Shack-Harris and Player of the Year leader (and Poker Hall of Fame inductee) John Hennigan.

To Start Today

Event 77 - $50K NLH High Roller (with Big Blind Ante and "Shot clock", 2 Day Event

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2018, 06:53:44 AM »

Main Event Day 9 Brief Update

After a brief Day 8, Day 9 could turn out to be the Anderson-Isner type day. Over 5 hours in an we've lost just the two players

6. Aram Zabian - $1.8m
5. Joe Cada - the battle to win his second ME ended in 5th place. Still a fantastic effort, he takes $2.15m

A fuller update, plus the news on who went out 4th, will follow later

Up to date chip stacks
Tony Miles 231m
John Cynn 80m
Michael Dyer 47m
Nicolas Manion 34m

Current level is 800K/1.6m with 200K ante

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »

Apologies for the length of this post (and lateness of it) but it is kind of an important day

Main Event - Day 9 update

To recap, the start of day stacks were:

Chip stacks for Day 9
Seat 1 John Cynn 61.55m
Seat 2 Tony Miles 57.5m
Seat 3 Nicolas Manion 72.25m
Seat 4 Aram Zobian 16.7m
Seat 5 Michael Dyer 156.5m
Seat 6 Joe Cada 29.275m

Short stack Zobian shoved on the second hand of the day (hand 71), getting it through, and then again from the small blind on the fifth. He had 8-6 suited, and was obviously looking to get it through but chip leader Michael Dyer had a hand and plenty of chips and called with A-8, dominating Zobian. The short stack got just a back door diamond draw on the flop, and even that was snuffed out on the turn and just 20 minutes, we had lost

6. Aram Zobian $1.8m

After 20 hands, not much had changed. Cynn had chipped up a bit, and Cada was now alone down at the bottom, and the only major action in the next 10 was to see Cynn lose those gained chips to Dyer.

Cada shoved Hand 92 over a Dyer open and got it through, and the same happened on Hand 98. He moved off the bottom in hand 101 after a river shove (on a board with 4 to a straight) forced Cynn to fold.

Cada's rise up the listings didn't last long; He raised to 2.2m, Tony Miles 3-bet to 6.9m, and the former winner shoved for 47m with pocket tens. Miles tanked for some time before calling with Big Slick. K-8-9 on the flop but Miles in front and Cada at risk. He got some more outs with a Queen on the turn, but another 9 on the river saw he dream of a second Main Event end for another 12 months.

5. Joe Cada $2.15m

This left it with the chips Dyer 167m, Miles 104m, Manion 83m and Cynn 38m

Cynn took some chips of each player before we got to hand 113. A hand that went all the way to showdown, Manion had paired his ten on the flop but Dyer made a bigger pair on the turn with a switch of nearly 20 minutes to the chip leader.

Miles breached the 100m mark after a hand where a straight (4 of which were hearts) ended up on the board and a river bet got Manion to fold, and took over the chip lead on hand 121. 3-way to the flop which was K-4-3, Dyer & Cynn checked and Miles bet. Dyer check-raised and Miles called. A 5 on the turn, Dyer bet 21m and Mile called. The river was a second King, Dyer bet again, 27m this time and Miles insta-called with pocket 3s which made a set on the flop and housed up on the river.

Miles 182m, Dyer 130m, Manion 48m, Cynn 33m, Start of Level 39 600K/1.2m/200K ante

Cynn needed to find a hand, and did so on Hand 132 and was helped to get paid by Manion bluff shoving a river after Cynn's suited connectors had made a flush.

Manion then needed a hand, and it took him three orbits to find one, pocket sevens was good enough to shove from the button. Miles obliged him with AK, and a ten-high board saw Manion double up.

Dyer briefly re-took the lead before Miles got it back, and then significanly extended it. A double-paired board, Miles bet 27m, Dyer called but was unable to beat Miles' full house. Meanwhile Cynn had been chipping up, a few million here, a few million there soon adds up.

Miles 195m, Dyer 94m, Cynn 73m, Manion 30m.

Manion shoved three times but got no takers, but the blinds and antes he collected was enough to keep his head above water.

By the end of the level, Miles had breached the 200m chips mark, with his nearest challenger Dye down to 81m.

Miles then stuck it to Dyer even more winning a pot that was close to 20m, elevating Cynn to second by default.

Manion was at it again on hand 192. Dyer raised and Manion called pre-flop, and on a flop of J-Q-8 (two hearts) the short stack shoved and Dyer snap-called. Cards were turned over, Manion had 7-5 of hearts, Dyer had K-Q off, and was drawing dead when another heart came on the turn.

With a huge advantage over the other three player, Miles was now playing big-stack bully, but did have to fold once when Manion (who else) three-bet shoved on him.

The stacks were getting more and more polarised by hand 223 Miles had 240m, Cynn 103m and both Dyer and Manion in the mid 20 millions. It really looked like a two horse race for the final elimination of the day. Manion hoped it wouldn't be him as he shoved for the umpteenth time with A-10. Cynn had other ideas with pocket kings. No help on the board, and the final three were set.

4 Nicolas Manion $2.825m

Chip stacks heading in the final day - Miles 239m, Cynn 129m and Dyer 26m.

Third place will collect $3.75m, second is good for $5m exactly and the top prize is $8m, the unique gold bracelet and a place forever on the WSOP Roll of Honour.

Event 74 - $10K Big Blind Antes NLH Championship, Day 3 of 3, 355 entries so far

Every year since 2000 we've seen someone win two bracelets at the Vegas leg of the WSOP. It took until the last few days of the 2018 series but that streak is intact as Shaun Deeb added Event 74 to Event 42 and also vaulted himself to the top of the Player of the Year standings.

Paul Volpe and Romain Lewis had an extended 3-handed battle, with the Frenchman eliminated third (his third top three of the summer) with Volpe eventually succumbing in second.

Event 75 - "The Closer" $1500 NLH (30 minute levels), 2 Day Event, 502 entries so far

96 players join the 1A qualifier, headed by Jeffrey Tanouye from Pismo Beach, California ahead of two more Americans, Jerry Robinson and Kevin Wang.

Four Brits make it through - Philip Ford, Benny Glaser, Simon Deadman and Chris DaSilva, with others through including Phil Laak, Scott Bohlman and Main Event last woman standing Kelly Minkin.

Event 76 - $3K HORSE, Day 2 of 3, 354 entrants

I don't think I've been able to say we have n-n-n-n-nineteen players through this year, so I get that one in just in time.

Brian Hastings leads the 19, ahead of Tim Marsters and Jeff Madsen, and Shaun Deeb's player of the year lead isn't secure yet as John Hennigan is still very much involved here.

Adam Owen's chip lead didn't last long, and he busted before the bubble so the only GB casher was Ben Dobson for $6524.

Event 77 - $50K NLH High Roller (with Big Blind Ante and "Shot clock", Day 1 of 2, 128 entries

So the big boys get their game on, 97 unique players and 31 re-entries with 31 moving on to Day 2 playing for a first prize of $1.65m.

The lead is held by Austrian player Matthias Elbinger, ahead of Jake Schindler and Isaac Haxton.

We have one British player through, fresh from a decent run in the ME, Daniel Merrilees.

As you would expect, several of the more well-known players are here - Ben Pollak, John Racener, Ryan Reiss, Scott Siever, Daniel Negreanu etc.

In this year were we saw the legend Doyle Brunson retire, perhaps it would be nice if a player from Doylestown won a bracelet, that is where 26th place John Andress calls home.

To Start Today
None, it is flight 1C of Event 75, "The Closer"

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »

^^^^^

Those are Barny's Updates from yesterday, delayed as I've been AWOL.

In real time (0700 am UK, Sunday) there are just 2 players left, & the stacks are;

John Cynn 257 million

Tony Miles 137 million.

Blinds are 1,200,000-2,400,000/400,000.

Here's the scene an hour or so ago, with Miles in the dark blue top, & the 2 players struggling to see each other round that mountainous pile of cash.

Click to see full-size image.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »

🏆 We have a new WSOP Main Event Champion. John Cynn wins $8,800,000 after a gruelling final table battle that lasted 442 hands and nearly 12 hours.

🔗 Player Profile: http://bit.ly/2KZDnfp
🔗 Event Results: http://bit.ly/2KZDmIn

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »

Cynn City

After a marathon, 10 hours plus heads-up match we have a new World Champion. John Cynn outlasted Tony Miles, after Michael Dyer was eliminated early on Day 10. It was a classic heads-up match, with the lead changing hands numerous times.

Fuller report to follow later on with some of the key hands detailed, plus updates from the other tournaments still in play.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »

I haven't had time to go back and review the last day of the Main Event, but here is the upate on other running events

Event 75 - "The Closer" $1500 NLH (30 minute levels), 2 Day Event, 3120 entries (including unlimited re-entries)

The WSOP didn't release a PDF of the Day 1C qualifiers, but some of the bigger stacks are held by Allen Kessler, Jonathan Tamayo and Bob Shao. Both the top 2 Player of the Year candidates, Shaun Deeb and John Hennigan padded their point totals and made Day 2 while Niall Farrell and Adam Owen (at least) are there for the UK.

Event 76 - $3K HORSE, Day 3 of 3, 354 entrants

It's a fourth bracelet for Brian Hastings. He entered Day 3 as the chip leader, but dropped down to be bottom stack during four handed play.

He was still behind when heads-up play with Andrew Brown started, but he battled through to take the bracelet and $323K

Third place went to the Australian player Tim Marsters

Event 77 - $50K NLH High Roller (with Big Blind Ante and "Shot clock", Day 2 of 2, 128 entries

A short and sweet big buy-in event, with Ben Yu taking down his third bracelet event, his first in NLH for which he also takes home $1.65m. The win saw him recover after busting out from Day 5 of the Main Event.

Sean Winter was the runner-up (heads up lasted all of 2 hands) and Nick Petrangelo finished third.

The last British representative, Daniel Merriless, was knocked out before the cash.

To Start Today
Event 78 - The Big One For One Drop, $1million NLH
The last event, expected to attract 40 or so players (capped at 48, 32 confirmed beforehand), but a $100K Mega Satellite had to be cancelled yesterday.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »

Interesting piece by Barry Carter here on the biggest winner at the WSOP Main Event Final Table - the taxman.

https://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/The-WSOP-Main-Event-final-payouts-after-tax_103997/

Sciss0rhands

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »

Interesting piece by Barry Carter here on the biggest winner at the WSOP Main Event Final Table - the taxman.

https://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/The-WSOP-Main-Event-final-payouts-after-tax_103997/

Wow that kind of hurts my soul.
kp24

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »

That’s why a lot of people with their head screwed on move here,just seen joe cada has just won the closer after final tabling the main event and with just 24 ponying up the one drop surely this event has run its course now?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »

That’s why a lot of people with their head screwed on move here,just seen joe cada has just won the closer after final tabling the main event and with just 24 ponying up the one drop surely this event has run its course now?

Some going from Cada.

To be fair, I think there are going to be 32 runners if all the registered parties take their seats. Numbers are going to be much lower for a $1m comp, than a $111k one.

Not sure having it after the m/e has finished helps, but that's just conjecture on my part.

RH12

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 17, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »

Out of interest how much do the pros sell and have of themselves? Suppose it depends on recent form and winnings, how much does the big sponsors normally pony up for the likes of Negreanu and do they get that percentage back if he were to get a drag?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: