blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Extra 45,000 UK retailers in financial distress this Christmas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Extra 45,000 UK retailers in financial distress this Christmas  (Read 3432 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »

Extra 45,000 UK retailers in financial distress this Christmas

Snow and consumer spending squeeze affect number of shoppers on high street, while Toys R Us may enter administration

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/20/retail-christmas-retailers-financial-distress-snow-consumer-spending-squeeze?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »

Snow and consumer spending squeeze affect number of shoppers on high street, while Toys R Us may enter administration

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/20/retail-christmas-retailers-financial-distress-snow-consumer-spending-squeeze?CMP=twt_gu

Be interesting to see the final total consumer spending stats - pretty confident that business models like Toys R Us can't survive the online impact in their present form.

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »

Be interesting to see the final total consumer spending stats - pretty confident that business models like Toys R Us can't survive the online impact in their present form.

Correct.

It's not that we are spending less, or not much less, just we spend it different ways these days - Online, for example. High St Betting Shops are a great example, Online is so much easier, & more convenient. 

Imagine how much revenue a site like Amazon.com must generate. And pretty much all of that would have been spent on the High Street 10 years ago.

Bricks & mortar shopping will continue to decline, & those who only have the B &M format will see revenues fall more & more.

Even Supermarkets now have Online versions. Who'd have thought that 10 or 15 years ago when Tesco & Sainsbury & the like were falling over each other to build more & more B & M outlets?   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »

Last year saw a courier from amazon knocking at our door - as the bell don’t work ! Most days in December
This year neither myself or GF has ordered one item from them ?
Most bizarre
John Lewis n the card factory shops I’ve visited for xmas ,plus a bit on e bay
Morrisons Aldi n Lidl for groceries daily / weekly basis
But Sainsbury’s for the main luxury food for xmas
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »

Last year saw a courier from amazon knocking at our door - as the bell don’t work ! Most days in December
Most bizarre

Interesting, any reason why?

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »

Having had several retail outlets myself - I saw the profit margins falling like a brick year on year over the past 10 years.

Each shop was costing us 1k a week to just open the doors - I said to the Mrs the day they stop making a profit we will close them down and that's what we did 3 years ago.

Eateries seem to be one of the few businesses that will survive and grow - hairdressers and charity shops.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 04:31:34 AM »

Shops are just too expensive to run, rent and rates far too expensive to make them viable.
I used to always use Amazon but find them pretty expensive for a lot of stuff nowadays
Supermarkets just incred use of their B&M presence to sell online. They stock hardly anything but sell virtually everything via click and collect
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 05:18:58 AM »

Most bizarre

Interesting, any reason why?

The GF got me to look on e bay more ,maybe I’ve / we’ve bought less ,it doesn’t feel that though
I did have the thought of everything I buy off amazon is +£2/3.99 delivery and maybe avoided them subconsciously!
I’m not a march round the shops merchant either - only for groceries ,I do all the food shopping at 3 shops generally Aldi Morrisons Lidl
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

I have 2 young boys....but haven't been in a Toys R Us for ages. On a cold wet Sunday we might wander out to them for a look round, and possibly buy something small, but that's it.
Boys usually choose online...we order online to pick up nearby or have delivered to work.

Its tough on the high street nowadays....our business rates and rent in west london are both going up by 50% over the next few years. We are fortunate that customers have to come to us to receive our product, otherwise curtains.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »

Ripple - out of interest what product do you sell.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »

I have 2 young boys....but haven't been in a Toys R Us for ages. On a cold wet Sunday we might wander out to them for a look round, and possibly buy something small, but that's it.
Boys usually choose online...we order online to pick up nearby or have delivered to work.

Its tough on the high street nowadays....our business rates and rent in west london are both going up by 50% over the next few years. We are fortunate that customers have to come to us to receive our product, otherwise curtains.

I had the 'delight' of going to both Smyths and Toys R Us yesterday, Smyths pissed it for range and price
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »

Toys R us is not even a fun/slightly magical place to be anymore , for children or adults IMO

It felt like just a warehouse filled with toys , staff were miserable , labeling unclear and alot of items were strewn all over the store and it felt messy.

On more than one occasion the price from toys r us has been beaten by Argos , Tesco etc this year when i have checked.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »

Ripple - out of interest what product do you sell.

The product is "speaking English"  Smiley......I have a language school that teaches foreign students.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: