blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  A "joke" league?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A "joke" league?  (Read 3149 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

I was interested in the following last night

Premier League branded a 'joke league' by Jamie Carragher because of negative tactics against top six http://dailym.ai/2DnxqAK

Newcastle did very little,sub 20% possession and tried to hold out for as long as possible playing an extreme counter attacking style

The alternative is to have a go and,it is assumed,lose heavily

With the top six spending up to £300m per summer window,and the gap the rest of the division widen ingagain (now there is a new tv deal talent acquisition arms race), does Carragher have a point?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »

Whilst it's very much a two tiered league this year (3? City; other Big 5; rest), we're only two season removed from your boys winning it. This might be a contradiction in terms but it can't be that much of a joke when a 5000/1 shot pings in.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »

There was a time when Liverpool won nearly every year, and another when it was Manchester United.   Seems odd that he thinks it is worse now.  Sure City are walking away with it, but they were a long way off last year, and next year it could easily be any of the other big 6.  It feels as competitive now as any time in the recent past.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »

The gap between the big 6 and the rest has never been bigger (in before you mention Leicester's freak season) statistically.  The spreads have never had the top 6 all so far clear of the rest of the pack points wise.  However the competition between the top 6 (barring this presumably freak season of man city hosing up) has never been closer in a generation.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »

I think it’s fine.  City are just too good this year.  Watford have gone at all the big 6 so far (most games at home admittedly).  Results have been 0-6, 1-1, 2-4, 2-1, 3-3 and 2-4.  Newcastle May have been absurdly negative but not everyone is, and 5 points out of 18 doesn’t seem an unbridgeable gap.  Certainly we were unlucky to lose the Chelsea game and should have had a penalty to win the game against Spurs.  Feels okay to me.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »

What price would people be Man City to win the league next season now?  Are they odds on?  Big odds on?  Odds against?
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:30:32 AM »

What price would people be Man City to win the league next season now?  Are they odds on?  Big odds on?  Odds against?

5/4?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »

went off 11/8 this year? Evens at best next even at this stage?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »

went off 11/8 this year? Evens at best next even at this stage?

A few days before the season started City were 2.67 on the exchange and in the range 2.75-2.90 everywhere else. So let's say 7/4.  Chelsea and United were about 3/1.

Spreads if buying were:
City 81
Chelsea 79.5
United 78.5
Liverpool 75.5
Spurs 75
Arsenal 74

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »

I think they would be decent odds on.  I think if you went up 11/10 or 5/4 now as a bookmaker you would be filled in.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »

I know this topic is looking at the PL in more general terms, but if we focus on last night....

The consensus seems to be that Newcastle, despite being very negative, had the right set up as come the 80th minute they were still in with a shout. Sort of justifying an extreme defensive display because that meant they could throw the kitchen sink in the last 10 minutes, and if that didn't materialise then a 0-1 defeat was hardly a disaster or embarrassing.

But Newcastle could've had no qualms whatsoever if they went into the break 4 goals down. It was only our poor finishing (and an outstanding save) that kept the score down. It certainly wasn't a defensive masterclass, far from it. They gave us loads of space in their final 3rd and we really should've had a commanding half time lead. So Newcastle had the worst of both worlds; zero attacking threat and a backline that was breached numerous times.

If I was an observer, then I'd have no idea what the best line would be to stop City. When you've seen teams have a go and get thrashed, and likewise sit deep and defend and also get a hiding, it must be a nightmare for opposition managers. From a City perspective I'd say our toughest games (from memory) were Huddersfield away and Southampton at home. Both games required late winners, and both games they were difficult to break down. But for that you need the right set of players playing to a very specific gameplan, something which I don't think Newcastle had last night.

It is a bit of a freak season though, I'm sure next year and beyond we won't see anything on this scale again. Oh, and if bookies we're offering evens for next year you'd have to lump your house on it Wink

Best Bitter.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »

I think they would be decent odds on.  I think if you went up 11/10 or 5/4 now as a bookmaker you would be filled in.

I was thinking 11/10 or 6/5, but you could offer 4/5 or 8/11 and take plenty of money right now, so why would you offer bigger?  It must be the but best time to be offering a skinny price, so surprised nobody seems to be offering one.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: