blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  VAR - let the controversy begin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VAR - let the controversy begin  (Read 3481 times)
Archer

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »

So finally Video Assistant Referees debut tomorrow in the FA Cup at Brighton and again in the Chelsea v Arsenal  Carabo Cup semi-final on Wednesday. I'm all in favour but no doubt initially there will be many misunderstandings and arguments.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/07/video-assistant-referees-errors-mike-riley

"Instead of checking every debatable decision or off-the-ball incident, the system will mainly be called upon for mistakes that are black and white. To minimise disruption, VAR will focus on checking four match-changing situations: whether a goal should stand, penalty awards, direct red cards and mistaken identity.

A line has been drawn at checking the merits of a second yellow card, while a booking can be given only if replays show a player has dived to win a penalty, scored with a deliberate handball or provoked an opponent into committing a red-card offence. Simulation outside the area will not be looked at, meaning that Jack Wilshere would not have run the risk of being sanctioned by VAR for his apparent dive in Arsenal’s draw with Chelsea last Wednesday.

Goals will be checked for offside, a foul in the build-up or the ball going out of play. VAR cannot intervene once a new attacking phase has started and clubs have said that they do not want goals to be ruled out for a foul at the other end of the pitch.

An example was Son Heung-min’s equaliser for Tottenham Hotspur against West Ham United on Thursday. The move began when Serge Aurier appeared to catch Manuel Lanzini in Tottenham’s half, but VAR would not be used here as it was a 50-50 challenge rather than a clear and obvious error.

The message is to leave it if it is not clear and obvious Referees have been told to continue as normal, especially as they have no recourse to call for a review, and players will need to play to the whistle instead of assuming that VAR will come to their aid. Riley, who insisted that linesmen will not be rendered obsolete by the system, said referees will need to relearn their skills. If they see the linesman’s flag go up for offside, for instance, is it worth delaying a whistle?"

I also saw an interview with Mike Riley on BT and there were 2 video examples. The first one was the horrible Deli Alli foul on KDB in the City v Spurs game. This was deemed to be a "clear and obvious" red card challenge which only picked up a yellow card in the game. With VAR,  Alli would have been sent off and receive a 3 match ban.

The other example was the Sterling "challenge" on Zaha in the Palace v City game on New Year's Eve which resulted in a penalty for Palace. I didn't think it was a penalty and maybe 80% of the media thought likewise. However, under VAR,  the decision to award the penalty wouldn't have been overturned because it wasn't black and white and therefore NOT "clear and obvious" that the ref had made a mistake.  Personally I'm ok with this.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »

Yay, football drags itself into the 20th century at last.

Used properly, it will make the game fairer, & more entertaining. In my view, DRS has certainly improved the entertainment value of cricket, no question about it. Similar systems in RU, RL & NFL, ditto. Can you imagine RU or NFL without these review systems? It really adds drama & fun.

It's unthinkable that football has taken this long to get here, but let's celebrate the fact they have. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

One thing not covered by VAR is how long "added time" should last, & at what point the referee decides, arbitrarily it seems to me, to finally blow his whistle.

3 or 4 minutes added time seems to be plucked out of the air. "Feels about right". 

Then the whole charade starts again in added time, as the signalled 4 minutes over runs as, in the referee's view, more time has been lost for whatever reason.

They literally "just make it up".

Can you imagine NBA or NFL without the actual game time being accurately recorded & visible to all ?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »

Used properly, it will make the game fairer, & more entertaining. In my view, DRS has certainly improved the entertainment value of cricket, no question about it. Similar systems in RU, RL & NFL, ditto. Can you imagine RU or NFL without these review systems? It really adds drama & fun.

It's unthinkable that football has taken this long to get here, but let's celebrate the fact they have. 

I'm all for it but not sure about the entertainment factor. Certainly it hasn't gone down too well in the leagues where it has already been implemented.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »

I'm all for it but not sure about the entertainment factor. Certainly it hasn't gone down too well in the leagues where it has already been implemented.

Because it's a bad idea, or because folks have to get used to something new?

I'm not sure how the logic can be even remotely bad. Half the debate on Forums, TV, Digital & print media is "the referee got it wrong" from Team Armchair.

Some of those mistakes can now be eradicated, & some of the decisions justified. Has to be good, whether folks like it or not.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »

Because it's a bad idea, or because folks have to get used to something new?

I'm not sure how the logic can be even remotely bad. Half the debate on Forums, TV, Digital & print media is "the referee got it wrong" from Team Armchair.

Some of those mistakes can now be eradicated, & some of the decisions justified. Has to be good, whether folks like it or not.

I suspect it is a bit of both but I'm with you on this.

Daily Fail inevitably is gunning for it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5246317/England-excited-VAR-Germany-sick-it.html

A more balanced article here:

http://www.cityam.com/278234/var-wars-fa-cup-introduces-video-replay-technology-brighton

"Yet the plethora of red-faced managers, outraged players and annoyed fans that have greeted the VAR trials may in many cases have more to do with issues of miscommunication and misunderstanding than intrinsic problems with the technology"

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »

I don't mind var for offside, diving, deciding reds or yellows maybe but there is a problem with the laws imo regarding penalty awards.Get clipped just outside the box when yr through on goal versus a pen like that awarded against chambers for hand ball the other day. Even if it was a handball it didn't merit an almost certain goal against whereas the guy brought down at 18.5 yards deserves a pen imo. They should make the pen box flexible depending on the offence.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

Plus I'm gonna fumm when the var upholds a pen like the one against Bellerin the other day and let's play 'flow' on every other part of the pitch because a foul wasn't rough enough.

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »

I'm 70% sure that this is a welcome addition to the game of football.

Best Bitter.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »

I saw the footage on the news last night.  My cousin was one of the linesmen in the game.  Good to see him chosen as part of the 'historic' event.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »

I don't mind var for offside, diving, deciding reds or yellows maybe but there is a problem with the laws imo regarding penalty awards.Get clipped just outside the box when yr through on goal versus a pen like that awarded against chambers for hand ball the other day. Even if it was a handball it didn't merit an almost certain goal against whereas the guy brought down at 18.5 yards deserves a pen imo. They should make the pen box flexible depending on the offence.

I think the best plan is to make the judgments less subjective.

Stick to decisions where there are lines on the pitch such as offsides and fouls being either in or outside the box imo.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »

Thumbs up from me. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: