blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  VARargh
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VARargh  (Read 12027 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »

Going to be fun In the knockout stages when the stakes go up. Chaos tonight with VAR

I know. That ref definitely wants putting out to grass.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »

Going to be fun In the knockout stages when the stakes go up. Chaos tonight with VAR

Chaos if you spend your time listening to the utter rubbish on TV panels and commentators trying to create controversy.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »

Chaos if you spend your time listening to the utter rubbish on TV panels and commentators trying to create controversy.

I just assume that Lawrenson is just an old fart who is too resistant to change.  How can the odd bad decision be worse than several more bad decisions? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »

I'm a big fan of Var, but I don't understand how a referee can watch something several times, including stop frame and slow motion, and still get it completely wrong.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 09:39:31 PM »

The Ronaldo pen was a definite pen wasn't it ? Someone please confirm as the idiot Lawrenson has me doubting my own eyes

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »

The Ronaldo pen was a definite pen wasn't it ? Someone please confirm as the idiot Lawrenson has me doubting my own eyes

Yep, clear penalty.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »

Yep, clear penalty.

Cheers, I feel better now :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »

I'm a big fan of Var, but I don't understand how a referee can watch something several times, including stop frame and slow motion, and still get it completely wrong.

The controversy seems to be all on the handballs. They are giving penalties for contact with the hand/arm if it is in an ‘unnatural position’. It’s like a new interpretation of ‘deliberate’. Something along the lines of, deliberately putting your arm in a position where you may gain an advantage by blocking the path of the ball, when there is no other good reason for your arm to be there. The decision for the Iran penalty is just a shocker.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »

I would say that hand ball is one of the only few spot this can happen Tom.  Technically it was hand ball but surely accidental on this occasion, for the ref to decide it was deliberate was terrible. The Spain game was decided by an over turned offside decision, offsides and ball over the line etc should be given correct almost all the time in those spots. Handball going to be one of the grey areas in the system.

In the Portugal game there was an off the ball incident where Ronaldo went out of his way to make contact with his elbow to an opponents neck. The incident was reviewed by VAR and I thought it was a sending off because he set out to strike the opposition player. He was given a yellow card which felt like a cop out to be honest, as in the ref determined he was guilty but only gave him a yellow. Deciding deliberate acts still going to be tricky using the VAR system but on this occasion Ronaldo deserved to be punished when he wasn’t originally even tho the ref still had to make a call regarding how deliberate it was.

Doobs made a good point imo, the cov on TV seems to think it’s still better to have loads of bad decisions in a game without VAR instead of having the ability to over turn incorrect decisions however many times they happen.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:53:52 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »

The controversy seems to be all on the handballs. They are giving penalties for contact with the hand/arm if it is in an ‘unnatural position’. It’s like a new interpretation of ‘deliberate’. Something along the lines of, deliberately putting your arm in a position where you may gain an advantage by blocking the path of the ball, when there is no other good reason for your arm to be there. The decision for the Iran penalty is just a shocker.

I'd kind of always interpreted deliberate handball along these lines in terms of being in an unnatural place as well as obviously moving hand to ball. Like you say, the Iran pen was just nonsense.

VAR struggles more with these things that heavily rely on individual refereeing style - ie there's every chance that on a given decision some will agree, some won't which isn't a criticism of VAR per se but still leaves the game imperfect which I think I'm OK with.

Like the Ronaldo booking perhaps - I can see some refs thinking that's a red whereas I thought it was nothing at all but VAR isn't the issue really. Hopefully, over time, the VAR guys off the pitch, will become better judges at only stopping the game for pretty obvious errors

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »

Ha, its difficult, wasn't posting in response to Bobby but we both saw an incident and saw it completely differently- I thought the Iranian player deliberately tried to obstruct Ronaldo and it's fairly common when playing to put your arm over / across the other guys shoulder to get in front of him. It might be foul if he doesn't give the original obstruction but wouldn't see it as a red

sola virtus nobilitat
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »

I think Lawrenson blurts out stuff before he thinks about it, and because he's painted himself into a corner regarding the Ronaldo penalty incident, he refuses to adjust his position. A bit childish really. Like his EPL predictions that Liverpool will never lose, lol.

Shearer, on the other hand, I find a bit more disappointing. He was a vocal critic of VAR from the outset, and he can't help deriding the system whenever there's any kind of error or delay in the process. Even though we're all in a far better place, having 80% of decisions made correctly - even if with a slight delay - rather than less than 50%c (my estimates). He was the only anti-VAR pundit on the show, and he's beginning to make a fool of himself, which is a shame.

The VAR investigation into Spain's equaliser was brought about by the lino being a little too fast with his flag. I think the ref would've simply given the goal. Easy for me to say from my armchair, but the striker always looked level with the last defender. I thought it became a little comical in the BBC studio when they said that the Spanish forward's elbow was exactly level with the Moroccan defender's foot. Thank the lord that the goal wasn't disallowed on the basis of an elbow being closer to goal than the foot....
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:46 PM »

Comedy listening to TV dinosaurs moaning about VAR.

Lawrenson is such a dick. Shearer is old before his time. Steve Wilson puts in plenty of research but hasn't got a clue what he's watching most of the time.

Can't stand in the way of progress.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

Ball goes into crowd.

Lawrenson: We're in Russia, that's never coming back.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: