blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:00:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Sitting out a poker tournament when only 3 handed.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sitting out a poker tournament when only 3 handed.  (Read 3469 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »

I played the GUKPT yesterday, and though I got there on time, I had to queue to pay past the start time. 

So I pay and get to the table and there are a couple of people sat waiting, as they can't start until there is 3. It seemed a bit odd, as the other start tables had 7 or 8 on.   We started playing and we were 3 handed for maybe 15/20 minutes. It was in my favour, as I ended up chipping up.  It all seemed a bit odd, and I was thinking of calling the floor, as I even though I was ok, the other two didn't seem happy.

Then another player came and sat at seat 10.  Again, a bit odd, as why fill seat 10 when the other seats hadn't been filled.  Not long after he sat down, another player joined, then another, and in no time we had a near full table.   If seat 10 hadn't joined, it seems possible this could have gone on even longer?

At least 2 of those late joining players were ahead of me in the queue, and I dare say maybe all the the others were sat out waiting for the table to fill.  I have seen people duck tough cash tables, but can't remember seeing anything like this before.  I don't think I am going to be that well known, and the other two didn't seem like strong players, so I and guessing people just didn't want to play 3 or 4 handed. 

I never asked, so maybe they had something pressing to do, or just liked to chill for 20 minutes to get their thoughts, but surely in that case you just rock up at 1.30, and don't buy in and sit out?

So what is the etiquette here?  Should it be ok to sit out if the table is short handed?   Is it ok to wait for 9 handed, if you show up and it is just you, Pads and Doug Polk?  When should you feel obliged to join?   Do you have a duty to protect any recs who are sat at a 3 or 4 handed table and getting run over?  Is this all ok, because you clearly aren't breaking any rules?

Back in the day, wasn't it pretty common to blind off late joining chip stacks?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »

if you show up and it is just you, Pads and Doug Polk?  When should you feel obliged to join?   

Depends are you one of the 1000 players better than Doug at mtts?

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »

Doobs its Manchester, there are no rules
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »

It all seems very odd, David. Guess these days they try to exploit every little angle.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

I know there were plenty of debates a few years ago about the correct protocol for late entry etc.  But if there were players entered in the seats and they were being blinded it would encourage them to join.  ie the table should be set up with chips in place and these are blinded until players turn up.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:19:05 AM »

I remember a fun story from a very good mixed game player who was looking forward to a decent buy in (maybe championship) WSOP 2-7 tournament.

Turned up on time, as he knew himself to be one of the better players in the field. Only one other player there when he arrived: Jason Mercier.

It was a couple of hours before anyone else arrived, by which time, having run badly to boot, he'd done 20% of his stack!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »

I always liked what they do at The Venetian. They open all starting tables with seven players and leave seats 2 and 7 free for late arrivals which also avoids the problem of half a dozen players who might well be mates arriving together and all being seated in a row. Opening a £1K tourney table with three players is just wrong.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »

I think at EPT when a certain seat is sold at all the tables then they put the stacks into play whether the person isn't there or not, but that also made people annoyed. So I guess there's no real answer to keep everyone happy. Should the TD balance the tables in this instance if the discrepancy lasts more then say five minutes?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »

I don't think the TD can rebalance the tables, as the seats have been allocated.

Given they know who has the seats, they could round them up, or call them to the table, maybe publically shame them by reading out their names? 

If I had sat out, 2 players could have been sat waiting for 20/30 minutes to start?   I think that isn't something that should be ok.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »

Stacks should be in play ASAP following them entering surely, regardless of when they sit down then they can sit out as long as they wish?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »

Is this thread a slowrolling chirp David - did you win?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »

Is this thread a slowrolling chirp David - did you win?

No

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: