blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:04:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Few years off, limited time, how to improve?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Few years off, limited time, how to improve?  (Read 2471 times)
1tripz1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »

After a few years away from the game I am getting seriously hooked again, and unlike when I was a student grinder spending all my roll on beer, I now have some disposable income to play with.

The problem now is that after so long off I suck, and I have little time to practice.

My plan is to play one bigger buy-in tournament (£100-£1000 buyin depending on what's on and what I can fit in) every 4-6 weeks. I don't want to just burn my money away though, so need a plan to get a little better.

Let's say I have about an hour a day to practice/study and can go play live locally one evening every one or two weeks.

What would you do?

I'm thinking 3/4 days a week of multitabling some small stakes cash online. I know this is not tournament play but it will hopefully at least enable me to get some feel of betting patterns again.

Then one or two days a week doing a little study on tournament concepts. ICM is something that wasn't really talked about when I was playing lots 10 or so years ago.

Finally when I can play live every week or so finding the best structured local tournament to at least try and put some tournament concepts into practice.

Before anyone says it, yes I know I'm not going to be playing/studying anywhere near enough. I know this. And I am of course only playing for fun, but still it would be nice to have some game when I do.

The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »

Where abouts are you based as this will affect the recommendations for tournaments etc
1tripz1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »

Maidenhead, so can easily travel to London, Luton, Reading and even DTD is not a million miles away.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »

You could probably play quite conservatively at first ie when you come across players putting you in a tough spot, try to avoid them.  At the same time post/research the tough spots so you can deal with them in future.  And build from there.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

play some cheap local comps and just pay loads of attention to what everyone is doing, maybe watch a couple of doug polk hand review things and have a think about what he's saying as those are pretty good for a simple entry into some sightly more complicated basic theory. Fire some hands into PHA usually gets some OK responses.

Maybe play some sats too, try get in on the cheap and play a few more practice makes perfect and all. Just don't let worrying about being bashed up spoil having fun!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: