blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary of a retired internet policeman.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary of a retired internet policeman.  (Read 29262 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

update pls.

He has some pretty big news too.

Can confirm he's no longer a virgin. wp Cos

There's only one way you can know that for sure....

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »

There were a few turning points for me in poker.

Like I said before, I was grinding away when me and Simon (Amatay) moved to Phuket and not having too much success but getting by month to month and loving it. I was playing $.50/1-£1/2 and some $2/4 sometimes. I never added to my bankroll but paid the bills and my living expenses. Better months meant I spent more and worse months meant Simon was paying the rent and I was paying him back a few weeks later. He was a good support and never put pressure on me.

I met a lot of poker players living in Thailand so when Simon moved back to the UK it was a shame but I began living with 2 Spanish poker playing friends. That was great. We were all in the same boat poker wise and in interests/activities etc. It was also great for me because we did loads of sport/gym and I got in very good shape. I was around 85kg, playing a different sport every day with other poker players from all around the world. Going out a decent amount and going to the gym 4-5 times a week.

I was also with my girlfriend and had my dog. It was still a bit of a struggle financially but it was steady enough. The other great thing was that I got to use my Spanish. I loved Spanish at school and was very good at languages. I obviously never finished my degree. In fact I barely ever started it. One of the things that scared me massively at the time was having to do my 3rd year in Spain or a Spanish speaking country. I was enjoying sort of getting my chance to do a bit of that, albeit a few years later and in a different way than planned.

After a year or so, one of the lads was struggling a bit too much with poker. The other two of us were keeping him afloat and we told him we'd keep doing so but he elected to go home and re-evaluate poker or get a job there. I decided to start doing more and more macau trips as the games were good and I couldn't be in Thailand the whole time because of visa reasons so it sorta worked.

The first while though, I was stuck playing hold em as the PLO games were too big for me. I'm definitely way too loose/spewy in NL and was even more so back then. But I did ok which is testament to the games being good.

A friend started staking me for the Omaha games and i was doing ok. Bit of a pattern emerging, doing ok but never great was a bit of a theme. Macau lifestyle got to me a bit too and I started gaining a little weight. Got into the habit of finishing a poker session at 6am and heading to the Wynn breakfast buffet. Wynn breakfast buffet is excellent. I remember heading to Vegas expecting similar quality from the famous Bellagio buffet and thinking it was a complete shitshow in comparison. I was still doing enough exercise that I was ok.

Another friend had approached me a few times, saying he wanted to stake me in amazing $25/50 PLO games online. He wouldn't tell me where but I wasn't keen. I explained I was on another stake that was going ok and had to be committed to that. It wasn't fair to take another one and I didn't honestly believe I would beat any game that big. He was aware what stakes I played online though and every few weeks he would pester me. He said if this particular site ended I wouldn't be on the hook for any makeup and I eventually asked my other backer. He agreed I could give it a go and I remember wininng $30k my first session. It felt a bit surreal at that time. I remember flying home and being on a different time zone. I had the tables open from when I woke up until when I went to bed. One night I had locked up all the doors downstairs and was carrying the laptop in my hand when one of the whales sat against me. I paused on the stairs to play the hand and by the time I reached the top of the stairs I'd won 5 or 6 buy ins and the guy left. That was an incredible night's sleep. The site was called Suited Ace. There had been a post/thread made about it on 2+2 forum where some very well respected and well known PLO players had made posts suggesting they were very suspicious of it so every player who should have been there in my place wasn't. That was a touch. Especially since all the things alluded to, I never noticed. Collusion, nope. Cashouts were fast and easy. It was too good to be true. However the site didn't last too long. I didn't lament over that. These things rarely do and I had a bankroll from nowhere.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »

I continued playing in Macau and doing ok. Again, not great but I was getting better and unlike before, where all my friends were NL players I had some PLO playing friends. This accelerated my learning and my sense of competition. I also had some money behind me, which hugely eases pressure. Without as much pressure it's amazing how much better you can play and run.

Also increasing were the lengths of my stays in Macau. I was staying 2-3 months at a time. I'd broken my wrist in Thailand and went to Macau. I started really gaining a lot of weight and broke my foot not too long after. Wasn't exercising or taking care of my diet and I'd ballooned to over 110kg. Focus was poker poker poker. The Omaha game sort of died though and broke for a little while. A lot of the regulars left. A bunch went to LA/Vegas etc but I had commitments and things going on in Macau/Thailand so couldn't leave.

The Wynn Poker room manager, who was fantastic imo made an effort to revive the PLO game. He changed it from 100/200 hkd uncapped buy in to 50/100 with a 25k max buy in and no straddle allowed. All the regulars stayed in LA but the game started running again every day. 80% of days I was the only Westerner playing and went from middle of the pack to King of the Hill as pretty much the only pro in the games. Imagine playing the best game you play every couple of months, except playing it daily for a year. The Wynn poker room manager used to joke with me that the players should each just give me 100bb and let me go home. It felt like that was happening every day it was kinda crazy. If the offer of everyone giving me 100bb to not play each day was real, I would have declined it. It was just too much fun going in every day and winning silly amounts. I was running well, playing great and in phenomenal games. I was waiting for it all to stop or pros to show up. Neither of those things happened. I really crushed during this period. I was on my own money fully obviously by this time and got into a bunch of amazing private games that I can't write too much about but did fantastically in those too. It was just a 2 year golden run, including some other things that I dont want to write about.

I'd been with my gf 6 years and we had talked about starting a family. I ran good there too as December 2017 my little girl was born. Best day of my life by far and I'm totally in love with her. She's just perfect. The pregnancy was somewhat of a nightmare too and a constant worry so when she was born healthy it was just a feeling I can't ever try to describe. She is just over 5 months old now and since day 1 has been the best, easiest baby ever. She doesn't cry. She plays, smiles, eats and sleeps. Whoever blessed me with her I'm so lucky and I will give it my all to make sure she has the best dad I can be and every opportunity she'll ever want. End/ Big softie talk.

Would love to have one more but we also added to our little family with 2 more dogs recently.

Will send some pics to Vinny to post for me.

@GreekStein on twitter.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »

Some snaps selected by Cos to be put up here.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

And some more.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

He changed it from 100/200 hkd uncapped buy in to 50/100 with a 25k max buy in and no straddle allowed.

Great updates Greek, thanks for posting. Was the game played as strictly 4 card or DC?
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Glad to see your doing well on both fronts :-)

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »

He changed it from 100/200 hkd uncapped buy in to 50/100 with a 25k max buy in and no straddle allowed.

Great updates Greek, thanks for posting. Was the game played as strictly 4 card or DC?

In Macau it was PLO high only. Also, I forgot to mention that the Macau Gaming Commission have a bunch of unique rules. For example, you can't run it twice. Each hand must have one unique outcome. Obviously PLO is a game of crazy variance and equities running pretty close generally. However, when you ran like I did the last few years and were forced to only ever run it once, it was pretty nice.

@GreekStein on twitter.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

Thanks mate.

Hope the post didn't come across too braggy. I just wanted to convey how lucky I was and how lucky I feel by things all going my way for a prolonged period.

@GreekStein on twitter.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 05:02:59 PM »

Your baby is gorgeous Cos!

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 05:04:18 PM »

That's what I call a dog BTW.

Has it eaten the other two?

The older I get, the better I was.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »

Very nice to hear!

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »

In Macau it was PLO high only. Also, I forgot to mention that the Macau Gaming Commission have a bunch of unique rules. For example, you can't run it twice. Each hand must have one unique outcome. Obviously PLO is a game of crazy variance and equities running pretty close generally. However, when you ran like I did the last few years and were forced to only ever run it once, it was pretty nice.

I meant was it only 4 hole cards PLO? No 5 or 6 card? In Birmingham and Nottingham it's all 456 and woe betide anyone who chooses 4, even 5 is barely acceptable. Even the Vic, the last bastion of 4 card PLO is now offering 456. I was there last week and a 5/10 game had apparently been running for 24+ hours with 4 of the players having been there from the start. It was still going when I left around 4 hours later.
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 05:30:47 PM »

Thanks mate.

Hope the post didn't come across too braggy. I just wanted to convey how lucky I was and how lucky I feel by things all going my way for a prolonged period.

Not at all, all the best.

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »

Great update,Cos.

Take it you're building a house for that bear in the picture?  No way that can share with you lot Cheesy

Post was very braggy, and quite right, too! Glad you're doing so well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: