blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Notes from the poker trenches (E-book)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Notes from the poker trenches (E-book)  (Read 4121 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »

A friend of mine from Next Door has published this as an E-Book, whatever that is.

I've not read it, but if his Diary Next Door is anything to go by, it'll be a good read. 

He writes very well, & with great honesty & wit. Very interesting guy, in an odd sort of way. Sort of male version of Jen Mason in some ways. As in, you know, odd. Interestingly odd.

You can find it on Amazon Books priced at £1.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notes-Poker-Trenches-Steven-Rowland-ebook/dp/B07FKR2FBR/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532361483&sr=1-1&keywords=Notes+from+the+poker+trenches

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »

I'm too old for kindle, but if it goes paperback, I'm in Smiley

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

Kindle is the DB you crochety old fart.

Poker trenches already on my reading list.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 05:57:50 PM »

Kindle is the DB you crochety old fart.

Poker trenches already on my reading list.

Cheesy

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

Some reviews have appears on Amazon for this book.

The author is a straight up guy so I don't think the reviews were planted by him.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »

Written with a self effacing sense of humour, Notes from the Poker Trenches is a compendium of a weekly poker column that dissects the tactics, nuances and psychology of the game of skill that is poker. You follow the author on a journey from complete novice to competent poker player and experience all of the lessons learnt along the way. If you are interested in the dynamics of the game, are curious about what it takes to become a competent poker player or have an interest in somnolent stoat-based onanism, then this is definitely the book for you.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

This collection of columns about the experience of a man clicking his mouse into the world of online proves three things about the author: he knows the game, he can write, and he steals titles like an artist. It is therefore entertaining, moving and honest. I was an online poker pro for a decade and I felt like I was reading an account of my thirties.

The author, like me, found himself attracted to poker because of an independent streak. The game is a battle of wits played in a meritocracy. It can be very attractive to people who have a somewhat underdeveloped collection of marketable experience. ‘Notes from the Poker Trenches’ explores, over eighteen months, one man’s experience of the conflict between self-determinism and self-sabotage.

The author’s raw honesty causes the writing to reach a high level: the book contains far more than the frustration and the euphoria provoked by the game. Few poker writers admit that, when you are not playing, the world away from the highs and lows provoked by a pack of cards can seem somewhat grey by comparison. Even fewer writers produce work that imagines the author talking to an Old Testament-styled God who is threatening to punish an unfocused poker player by rousing a grizzly bear.

It is concepts such as the above that broadens the appeal of the collection beyond poker lovers. The author takes us on a chariot ride that threatens bewilderment and bankruptcy but It could also offer enlightenment and enrichment. It explores why we take risks and how they can have a psychological cost.

It also describes of one of the most unusual poker plays I’ve read.

I’m therefore all-in on the probability that the author’s inverted madeleine moment is seeing hole cards of a king and a four.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »

I should add that I've not read it, nor will I, as I don't have a Kindle thing. Proper books only, please. You know, on paper.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »

"somnolent stoat-based onanism"

TAL

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »

I should add that I've not read it, nor will I, as I don't have a Kindle thing. Proper books only, please. You know, on paper.

I have a great idea. Why not run blonde on paper?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »

TAL

I know what those words mean individually. It's not something I'd be prepared to venture a synonym for, however, when combined.

50 shades of spades?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »

TAL

I know what those words mean individually. It's not something I'd be prepared to venture a synonym for, however, when combined.

50 shades of spades?

Lol. 8/10

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »

TAL

50 shades of spades?

It's a 9 from me I chortled.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: