blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ryder Cup thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup thread  (Read 18795 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »

Ryder cup is one of the best sporting weekends of the year for me
it beats the world cup as a whole hands down IMHO

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:37 PM »

Ryder cup is one of the best sporting weekends of the year for me
it beats the world cup as a whole hands down IMHO

More Scottish representation in the ryder cup than the world cup.  Story checks out!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »

I find The Ryder Cups that are staged across the pond extremely tiresome due to their (mostly) ignorant and boorish "fans".

It seems that quite a few of the French fans thought that was acceptable behaviour too.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »

All the chest beating and fist pumping makes it pretty much unwatchable imo

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »

Meanwhile, a nasty piece of news, if true;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45714544

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »

Wow horrible, truly horrible

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »

The thing that amazes me is that this sort of thing doesn’t happen more, I always wonder the same at cricket matches, I have no doubt a cricket ball in the head could easily kill you  Sad
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »

Terrible news and a shocking injury.

Surely it has just been a matter of time until someone was seriously injured with so many players failing to shout "fore" when their ball is heading for the crowd, and fans standing so close when a player is in trouble trying to escape from trees or heavy rough.

Will she sue the organizers or the unfortunate player?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »

I imagine that there will be insurance in place, so it will probably be settled quietly. 

I haven't been to a live golf event in ages, is there any safety guidance on the ticket? 
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

I imagine that there will be insurance in place, so it will probably be settled quietly. 

I haven't been to a live golf event in ages, is there any safety guidance on the ticket? 

Don't know about the actual tickets, but presumably tickets are sold in accordance with the Tournament & Course regulations, here;

https://www.rydercup.com/2018-ryder-cup-official-ground-regulations

And specifically, right down the bottom (Clause 20).....

20.Persons entering the Venue do so acknowledging the general risks associated with the game of golf and attending a major golf tournament, including risks associated with errant golf shots, the attendance of large crowds in confined spaces to watch limited golf holes (and surges of spectators accordingly) and those other risks related to attending a sporting competition in a golf course environment exposed to the natural elements.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »

The worst thing, which Ralph alluded to, is when a player has to hit a recovery shot back to the fairway or to the green from in amongst the viewing areas, & the gallery form a sort of "funnel" just a few yards wide. Scares me to bits every time I see it. Similar in a way to some tees, where the gallery line up either side to watch the guys tee off. I know it's pretty rare for a pro golfer to shank it or mishit that badly, but that ball would kill anyone instantly if it hit them in the face or head. These shots from the rough can be over a concealed tree root & anything can happen.

Given how extreme, silly maybe, some H & S requirements are these days, it's remarkable that it's allowed.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »

The worst thing, which Ralph alluded to, is when a player has to hit a recovery shot back to the fairway or to the green from in amongst the viewing areas, & the gallery form a sort of "funnel" just a few yards wide. Scares me to bits every time I see it. Similar in a way to some tees, where the gallery line up either side to watch the guys tee off. I know it's pretty rare for a pro golfer to shank it or mishit that badly, but that ball would kill anyone instantly if it hit them in the face or head. These shots from the rough can be over a concealed tree root & anything can happen.

Given how extreme, silly maybe, some H & S requirements are these days, it's remarkable that it's allowed.

You had to show that shot didn't you Tony - it cost me a small fortune as I was on Louis Oosthuizen to win that Masters @~50/1.

It was in the playoff and Bubba played a miracle 50 yard hook with a 7-iron to around 8 feet and holed it to beat my man who had been trading big odds-on before that shot.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »

Doubt that that small print will cut much ice with a court given the present interpretation of unfair contract terms.

In any case it's doubtful that a payoff will be of much consolation to the poor woman.  I have a friend who recently sold his business and retired only to have eye surgery botched, leaving him virtually blind in the eye affected.  He is obviously investigating legal action, but without any enthusiasm as putting some more cash on his fairly large pile won't really make much difference to his now affected lifestyle.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2018, 05:10:23 PM »

The US fall out has started and Patrick Reed (and his wife who seems to be of the same ilk) has been firing shots at Jordan Speith and Jim Furyk with a side swipe at Tiger along the way. It must be a big price he is ever a captains pick if he doesn't qualify for future events now.

What caught my eye tho was that DJ and Brooks Keopka who were very close friends had to be separated from fighting in the European (?) team dressing room on Sunday night. In the last few months DJ has been playing a few extra holes away from home with a young lady that he met at a golf club. In a fantastic piece of having your cake and eating it syndrome it seems he took offense to Keopka and Paulina becoming closer friends and accused Keopka of trying to take his fiancee away from him. Seems a strange thing given Keopka has a long term girlfriend who was in Paris too.

On the Saturday night of the Fedex Cup finale that Tiger won DJ walked into a golf shop and bought a new putter which he used during the final round of that event combined with changing his putting stroke to left below right. That's in a comp he could still win, players don't do that if they are happy with their game or happy in general. He then changed putters again going into the singles matches last week. Doing strange things like that and then fighting with his friend after looking really unhappy on the golf course for weeks makes me wonder if he is that well at the moment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6154429/Yassie-Safai-named-socialite-sensational-Dustin-Johnson-Paulina-Gretzky-split.html

I can't see how the US team are going obtain the much heralded team moral they need in future teams given some of these young guys seems to have intertwining issues with each other. The last US team to play in Europe also had to deal with Jimmy Walker being in the same team as DJ who had been sleeping with his wife. Looks like they have more problems than not being able to play proper golf courses.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:36:36 PM by tikay » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »

This really sad isn't it.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: