blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ryder Cup thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup thread  (Read 18793 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »

I'm gonna lose a pot of cash, as I thought the yanks would crush, but I will be happy to be wrong.

Its been great.

In terms of singles betting betting, I fancy Simpson to beat Rose,  hope that Poulter wins the cup by beating Dustbin, and think its a max on Hatton to beat Reed who seems so bad he must be totally shot mentally.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »

I've been considering whether to have a yankee on the last four matches being ties.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »

I've been considering whether to have a yankee on the last four matches being ties.

Superb argument, I'm in.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2018, 09:58:20 PM »

On the basis that it might be over and they just walk in, or because you think they are especially even matches?

Cant recall if they give up normally, but pretty sure they have kept going in the past. If not its a great idea.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »

On the basis that it might be over and they just walk in, or because you think they are especially even matches?

Cant recall if they give up normally, but pretty sure they have kept going in the past. If not its a great idea.

We've done it before, maybe on thread?  There are definitely more ties at the end, but the bookies were getting wise to it a few years ago.  Not many bookies have priced the matches up right now, but looking at the prices, I guess the older traders have moved on.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2018, 10:34:20 PM »

We've done it before, maybe on thread?  There are definitely more ties at the end, but the bookies were getting wise to it a few years ago.  Not many bookies have priced the matches up right now, but looking at the prices, I guess the older traders have moved on.

I see 356 don't have the time priced.

Void if a draw?

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »

Not finding anyone that will let me do combos?

Any joy anyone?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »

Ladyboys

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »

Ladyboys

Is that what your spell checker corrects laddies to?  what you been up to Ralph?  
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »

Is the data not skewed by an increased number of draws in the early years when they effectively called it a half and walked off? Nowadays they always play it out. It was a huge angle years ago but I’m not sure it exists nowadays.
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »

My picks for the singles are.

MOLINARI vs Mickelson @ 1.53   Mickelson has no game at all atm

HATTON vs Reed @ 2.1  Really like this one as Reed couldnt hit it straight from the tee yesterday.

SPIETH vs Olesen @ 1.62

FLEETWOOD vs Finau @ 1.85 

THOMAS vs McIlroy @ 2.15

I'm 7/8 over the first two days for picks   aftertiming, but unfortunately thought USA would win overall.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

looking at the recent years where the win margin was big there aren't many draws in the last 4

2016: 17 - 11 no draws

2014: 16.5 - 11.5 no draws

2008: 16.5 - 11.5 no draws

2006: 18.5 - 9.5  no draws

2004: 18.5 - 9.5 no draws

2002 might have been the year that some players walked in?  It was 15.5 - 12.5 with 3 draws from the last 4.  McGinley clinched the cup, with a draw on the 18th, with two matches behind him, which must have been either ties or one up at that time (unless they had fallen behind and were still on the 16th), so even if they did walk in there was quite a lot of "draw equity" in the matches anyway.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »

Looking at the singles match-ups on paper, it wouldn't be a great surprise if the US won six of the top eight matches.

I think there might still be a little life in this contest yet.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »

yes -bet everyday are 9-1 US betfair are 10-1 which seems a bit long.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:07:05 AM by doubleup » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2018, 12:39:59 PM »

looking at the recent years where the win margin was big there aren't many draws in the last 4

2016: 17 - 11 no draws

2014: 16.5 - 11.5 no draws

2008: 16.5 - 11.5 no draws

2006: 18.5 - 9.5  no draws

2004: 18.5 - 9.5 no draws

2002 might have been the year that some players walked in?  It was 15.5 - 12.5 with 3 draws from the last 4.  McGinley clinched the cup, with a draw on the 18th, with two matches behind him, which must have been either ties or one up at that time (unless they had fallen behind and were still on the 16th), so even if they did walk in there was quite a lot of "draw equity" in the matches anyway.

I keep having these moments where things I thought were failry recent were really 20 years ago, so 2002 is probably right.  In my defense, there have only been 9 tournaments since then, so it wasn't that many tournaments ago!   I suspect the previous discussion was on the betfair forum and not here.  I thought there was one more recent than that, but I am now pretty sure I was thinking of this one.  https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-concession-what-2012-ryder-cup-revealed-about-man-and-event.  Ironically it cost draw bettors money.

I think the conclusion is it is pretty marginal unless you can do multiples; and everybody seems to refuse multiples; so if there ever was an edge it has gone.   

Obviously there will be 2 or 3 draws in the last 4 now.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: