blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Catastrophe
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catastrophe  (Read 2977 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:46 AM »

If you eat right, refrain from smoking, and wear a seatbelt consistently, you'll likely live long enough to see the Earth ravaged by climate catastrophe

fascinating article on the impact of 1.5c and 2c av temperature increases compared to the 1c we have seen so far

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:34:36 AM by tikay » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »

yes the planet got destroyed but for a few beautiful moments we created profit for shareholders

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »

yes the planet got destroyed but for a few beautiful moments we created profit for shareholders
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »

Sorry, can’t get the link to work. It’s a very well observed cartoon. I’ll try again later.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Saw a thing the other day about medical advances and how we're living longer. It said that the first person to reach the age of 200 has already been born.

That guy/gal could see quite a lot.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »

Saw a thing the other day about medical advances and how we're living longer. It said that the first person to reach the age of 200 has already been born.

Pfft!

I'll believe it when I see it.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »

I am fairly sceptical of that.   Whilst life expectancy has increased over the years, the limit of  human life hasn't kept pace.   So there are significantly more people aged over 100, but there are only ever a handful of people alive who have made it past 115.  The oldest person ever died in 1997, and nobody else has got that close since, and the rate of improvement of life expectancy is slowing. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Doobs, I think you are underestimating the possibilities of "cloning" technologies - individual body parts rather than entire bodies - and human cyber interaction overcoming brain deterioration.  These technologies will only ever be available to the rich, I would guess, but it's not too far fetched to believe that such a person has recently been born.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »

Doobs, I think you are underestimating the possibilities of "cloning" technologies - individual body parts rather than entire bodies - and human cyber interaction overcoming brain deterioration.  These technologies will only ever be available to the rich, I would guess, but it's not too far fetched to believe that such a person has recently been born.

That will only help if it 'fixes' their DNA; it isn't out of the question but it's probably ambitious to think that people have already been born that will benefit from it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »

Why would their dna require fixing?  My postulation is simply that technologies to replace diseased/failing body parts will be developed.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Why would their dna require fixing?  My postulation is simply that technologies to replace diseased/failing body parts will be developed.

The human lifespan is ultimately constrained by your DNA, there's no point replacing organs if you've multiple cancers and alzheimers etc

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »

If you eat right, refrain from smoking, and wear a seatbelt consistently, you'll likely live long enough to see the Earth ravaged by climate catastrophe

fascinating article on the impact of 1. and Two Clubs av temperature increases compared to the 1c we have seen so far

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html

If we do nothing to deal with the changing climate, nor make any changes in the way that we live (in case all this is our fault) and you eat right, refrain from smoking, and wear a seatbelt consistently, you'll live long enough to see the Earth ravaged by climate catastrophe if it happens.

The article doesn’t tell us that this is a certainty. Nor does the IPCC report.

Not a denier, but I remain sceptical about the output of the IPCC and am especially sceptical of the reporting of their predictions by the media.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »

The human lifespan is ultimately constrained by your DNA, there's no point replacing organs if you've multiple cancers and alzheimers etc

To elaborate - at the end of your DNA you have telomeres this is a bunch of 'junk' DNA that doesn't really do anything.

When your cells divide the DNA gets shorter - but it's only telomeres at the end so you're okay; except by the time you get old you've run out of them so the DNA shortening means you lose some of the genetic material that is actually important, resulting in many of the things associated with old age.

For the idea of extreme old age by organ transplants to work you would have to find a way to transplant every single organ in your body, at least once - but maybe more than once. And that would mean absolutely everything including skin, bones and brain which, even just on a logistical level, is fairly close to impossible.

Science wife also pointed out that even if you could find the money to research how to do this (realistically more than any individual and most governments hold) - you probably wouldn't have the strength to undergo the operations - because you'd be so old.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »

Your best bet is to download your mind to a hard drive.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: