blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Coral Canary Wharf
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coral Canary Wharf  (Read 6307 times)
Jono3131

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »

After some pearls of wisdom.

I went in to a Coral shop in London to place a bet on a horse. Watched the race in the shop and the horse won comfortably for £380. There were 2 horses I liked in the next race so went up to the counter with 2 slips for £20 e/w and my winning ticket. There was a slight delay with him sorting out another bet and I wasn't sure if my bets would get on on time. He waved to me so I handed them all to the guy (only member of staff in there). He ran through the 2 bets, then when it went to cashing the winnings in he said it hadn't come in yet. As he said it the race set off so he is now sitting there with all 3 tickets.

He is visibly annoyed and says he needs cash. I say to him come on you saw that horse win the last race I just wanted to use £80 of the £380. He reiterates he needs cash. I reach in my pocket and only have £40, inform him that's all I have and pass it to him. He gives me 1 slip and the winning bet. I start saying I only want both bets or none of them, he is getting visibly more angry and starts shouting he can't and that I should have had the cash somso I just walk off.

The horse for the slip I had lost, as did the one I didn't.

Here's where i am unsure of it being slightly shady.

When I eventually go back 5 mins later to get the £380 for the winning one, he only gives me £340 and says the £40'is for the other one.

My argument was, if he was going to do that, why did when I say I want both or none, did he say I could only have 1 because that's what I gave him cash for. If the one he hadnt gave me had won, I would have been an annoyed but no way would I have expected to get paid. I tried to reason with him that it's unfair because he had never told me I was liable for that bet, how can it be up to him to deduct my winnings.

I 1000% understand where he's coming from in regards to needing to have the cash/available funds before hand. I'd just expect one bet to be voided?

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:46:24 AM »

I don’t really think there’s a good answer here, the way things have worked out, you’ve made it very difficult for him. Hard to know how you can justify wanting “both bets or none of them” when you only have money for one of the bets. Also sounds like he’s made a total mess of things. When you walk away from the clearly unresolved situation, it feels like you’re then giving up control of what happens. It’ll be interesting to see what the others think.....
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »

Both parties fucked up. Chalk it up and move on
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »

You are not losing anything by forwarding an email. If anything they can check to make sure the two bets were placed officially (sure there is an allocated amount of time as well depending on the distance of the race i.e 10 secs after bell still accept, although I haven't been in a bookies for years) and at the right time. If they were then you just have to accept it, if not either the till should be over or the money has gone to his xmas party.

Seems things may have changed as cashiers used to always let you put the next bet on knowing you had winnings coming from your previous bet. Can understand why some might be hesitate if they do not know you.
dakky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »

Either he gave you a slip for the 2nd losing bet or he didn't.

If he didn't then he needs to pay the £380 simples.
Jono3131

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

I don’t really think there’s a good answer here, the way things have worked out, you’ve made it very difficult for him. Hard to know how you can justify wanting “both bets or none of them” when you only have money for one of the bets. Also sounds like he’s made a total mess of things. When you walk away from the clearly unresolved situation, it feels like you’re then giving up control of what happens. It’ll be interesting to see what the others think.....

Well my thinking was if he can void the bet, just void them both, if he can't then clearly I just owe him both from my winning slip.

No, he gave me 1 slip, and kept the other.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »

How can it be "simples" when different people view it differently?  Surely it is complexs?

I am in the you both fucked up and let it go camp.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »

Sounds like he stole £40 from you mate, I'd complain

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »

Urgh, would be a right pain this scenario. Been many years since i worked as a cashier, but on my A game i'd have voided both of the new bets pretty sharpish if you didn't have the cash to pay for them.

If you were a regular and i'd been paying attention to the results (and so knew you genuinely had money to come) would just take the minor risk on the chin of it randomly not settling.

I think he made a mess of it, and the way it played out (if they have cameras) you shouldn't be liable for the other bet you got refused.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:37:22 PM »

Sounds like he stole £40 from you mate, I'd complain

This.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:05:40 AM »

So I guess he didn't void the second bet and let it run....and when it lost .....said you were liable to pay.
Or.... he voided the bet and still took your £40.

I would get it investigated.
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »

Depends if you want to use the bookies again if so just take it on chin and walk away, if not then send email
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »

Agreed how much does 40 matter to you?

How good a relationship do you have the shop normally?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »

awful as if the horse wins you get paid somewhere between 0 and 10%. I would ask to see the slip to prove the bet was on, obv he'd have given you 380 and not mentioned it had it won but at least you can see was actually placed.

very tilting.

i had a spot at a bookies at Cheltenham, went to Ladbrokes had 2 bets one of which i had 250ew on a horse at 14/1. The horse placed so was due 1100 odd back, went into collect (with a ticket that said xxx horse 250ew 14/1 on it) the guy ushered me outside to speak to me... he told me the bet came back just as i was leaving the shop @10/1, he ran outside to find me but couldnt. He voided the whole bet and put £500 in tbe safe for me to give me next time i come in. Upshot is I am getting 500 not 1100.

He told me if i complained i could be banned from all Ladbrokes shops and that he could be fired and essentially pleaded with me to accept the 500 back and forget about it.

What do you do?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »

awful as if the horse wins you get paid somewhere between 0 and 10%. I would ask to see the slip to prove the bet was on, obv he'd have given you 380 and not mentioned it had it won but at least you can see was actually placed.

very tilting.

i had a spot at a bookies at Cheltenham, went to Ladbrokes had 2 bets one of which i had 250ew on a horse at 14/1. The horse placed so was due 1100 odd back, went into collect (with a ticket that said xxx horse 250ew 14/1 on it) the guy ushered me outside to speak to me... he told me the bet came back just as i was leaving the shop @10/1, he ran outside to find me but couldnt. He voided the whole bet and put £500 in tbe safe for me to give me next time i come in. Upshot is I am getting 500 not 1100.

He told me if i complained i could be banned from all Ladbrokes shops and that he could be fired and essentially pleaded with me to accept the 500 back and forget about it.

What do you do?

Seems more straightforward to me.  You have the slip, surely they have to pay?  They can't void a bet if you know nothing about the voiding?  Obviously the chance of getting banned from Ladbrokes is high after any winning bet, but can't see how asking to be paid correctly changes that.

Not sure why most think the fella is a thief in the original post.   The bloke explained why he couldn't take both bets to OP.  He let him have one, OP didn't accept it, started making unreasonable demands and stormed out of shop.  Bloke behind counter is left in a horrid position as race has started and punter has stormed off.   

Just assume he had good intentions and move on.   Saying it is 0% to 10% he had good intentions is a pretty shitty way to view the World.   Moving on saves a lot of continuing anger, and people getting worked up over something minor seems to be the reason it all went wrong.

I just can't think why I would do anything other than say "thanks, no problem" when offered the one bet after the race has started.  The bloke behind the counter has bent the rules after the race has started for me (to be fair, I am happy to get any bet on these days).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: