blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Money saving thread
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Money saving thread  (Read 6708 times)
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »

Excellent book released recently called, imaginatively, “Money” - written by Laura Whateley. Would heartily recommend.

As a financial planner at the ‘sharp end’ of the market one has a tendency to take certain knowledge/awareness for granted, but it has been a welcome reminder of quite how complex/jargon-heavy our financial system is.

Very friendly and easy read of a subject matter people typically wilfully ignore.

Allez!!
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »

Always batted away the PPI thing because I couldn’t be arsed. Decided to have a punt with one of the companies pestering me and managed to ship £850 today, didn’t expect that!  Cheesy

It’s was actually only about £300 iin actual PPI, it was so long ago the rest was interest  Cheesy

Excellent mate. I think everybody who's had credit cards or loans should do this as you really have nothing to lose. One of the guys I work with replied to one of the random texts he got and ended up with over £6k. Sure the company took 25% (it was £8k he was owed) but he'd never have done it himself anyway.

You can do this yourself quite easily apparently but personally I think you have a better chance using a PPI company as the lenders know what they're up against. I have friends who've tried it themselves and the stock response is just 'no'. I think you have to pester a few times to actually get anywhere and most people will just give up as they can't be arsed spending 10 hours of their time for an hourly rate way in excess of anything they'll ever earn in their lifetime. Weird one that isn't it.

I looked into doing it myself and it was a pain in the arse, would never have done it. The good thing about the PPI companies is all you need to give them is the name of the banks/companies you’ve ever had credit cards/loans/mortgages with and the addresses you’ve lived at and that’s all they need, no account numbers or anything, it allows them to do a massive sweep on your behalf.

In fact the 2 companies that I thought were most likley drew a blank, the money I got back was from Natwest which is my main bank account and it was for a loan I don’t even remember having  Cheesy

This is so easy to do yourself. I had a call from the Claims guys and they were asking for 30% and they wouldnt budge. After having a look around i think MSE recommended using the below link.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

Totally free and you get 100%.

I just thought that my default was always no when asked bout PPI but i thought i'd give it a go. I received just over £1,000. I then got the wife to do the same. She had a Barclay card since she was a student, well over 25 years ago. She received £7,600.

Please dont use the 3rd parties to claim PPI when it is so easy to do yourself. Just remember that the reason you get anything back is simply because you did not need PPI because you could service the debt by other means such as savings or family or were self employed and you still earnt if you were ill etc.

REMEMBER, PLEASE DO THIS YOURSELF AND DON'T USE 3rd PARTIES!

Ah! The element of surprise
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »

I avoided making a claim for years thinking it was for sad & desperate folk. Then one day on a weekend break in St Ives I visited an art gallery and spent £1.5k on an oil painting. A day or so later I was feeling like that was a pretty indulgent purchase to make and at that moment a PPI advert popped up on the telly. Probably ignored about a million of these adverts in the past but because of the picture I picked up the phone and threw the dice.

Lloyds Bank have a dedicated PPI hotline so just dialled them direct. Every question they asked I just said "dunno" or "can't remember" because genuinely didn't think I had any kind of claim.

About 6 weeks later I opened a letter from the bank with a settlement for £12.8k. Honestly my jaw dropped and I have no clue what, how or when. I vaguely remember my student days being kinda messy but had zero recollection of specific loans or such like. So I can't agree with bobAlike more and thoroughly recommend picking up the phone direct to your bank.

Incidentally, I fucking love that picture. It has pride of place above my fireplace. It's a landscape painted in oil using a knife and it's worth about £13k to me.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
alanc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »

I can out trump the earlier Bulb Energy offer. You can use the following link to get a £100 discount. bulb.co.uk/refer/alan9358
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 12:49:54 AM »

Always batted away the PPI thing because I couldn’t be arsed. Decided to have a punt with one of the companies pestering me and managed to ship £850 today, didn’t expect that!  Cheesy

It’s was actually only about £300 iin actual PPI, it was so long ago the rest was interest  Cheesy

Excellent mate. I think everybody who's had credit cards or loans should do this as you really have nothing to lose. One of the guys I work with replied to one of the random texts he got and ended up with over £6k. Sure the company took 25% (it was £8k he was owed) but he'd never have done it himself anyway.

You can do this yourself quite easily apparently but personally I think you have a better chance using a PPI company as the lenders know what they're up against. I have friends who've tried it themselves and the stock response is just 'no'. I think you have to pester a few times to actually get anywhere and most people will just give up as they can't be arsed spending 10 hours of their time for an hourly rate way in excess of anything they'll ever earn in their lifetime. Weird one that isn't it.

I looked into doing it myself and it was a pain in the arse, would never have done it. The good thing about the PPI companies is all you need to give them is the name of the banks/companies you’ve ever had credit cards/loans/mortgages with and the addresses you’ve lived at and that’s all they need, no account numbers or anything, it allows them to do a massive sweep on your behalf.

In fact the 2 companies that I thought were most likley drew a blank, the money I got back was from Natwest which is my main bank account and it was for a loan I don’t even remember having  Cheesy

This is so easy to do yourself. I had a call from the Claims guys and they were asking for 30% and they wouldnt budge. After having a look around i think MSE recommended using the below link.

I just thought that my default was always no when asked bout PPI but i thought i'd give it a go. I received just over £1,000. I then got the wife to do the same. She had a Barclay card since she was a student, well over 25 years ago. She received £7,600.

Please dont use the 3rd parties to claim PPI when it is so easy to do yourself. Just remember that the reason you get anything back is simply because you did not need PPI because you could service the debt by other means such as savings or family or were self employed and you still earnt if you were ill etc.

Mine cost me 20% and and I’m glad I did it as a I simply would not have done it otherwise as they made it so easy for me.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »

Mine cost me 20% and and I’m glad I did it as a I simply would not have done it otherwise as they made it so easy for me.

I'm lazy like you, Woodsey.

I don't think I ever had any, because  was in the mob, and we got paid if we were sick etc.

Might as well see if I can get some free UFC tickets if they did tack it in somehow.

Who did you use, mate?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 01:09:03 AM »

I don't think I ever had any, because  was in the mob, and we got paid if we were sick etc.

Might as well see if I can get some free UFC tickets if they did tack it in somehow.

Who did you use, mate?

These guys matey, very efficient.

https://www.gladstonebrookes.co.uk

It will involve a phone call and you telling them all the bank/companies you’ve ever had dealings with and all the addresses you have lived at. I then signed about 20 sheets of paper authorising them to search on my behalf and they then did everything from there.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 01:25:31 AM »

Who did you use, mate?

It will involve a phone call and you telling them all the bank/companies you’ve ever had dealings with and all the addresses you have lived at. I then signed about 20 sheets of paper authorising them to search on my behalf and they then did everything from there.

Lovely!

Thanks very much, and curry on me if I get anything  Smiley

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »

Who did you use, mate?

This is exactly the reason that if you had any loans or credit cards you need to check. If you got paid when you were sick then why did you need insurance? The answer is you didn't but they still gave it to you potentially without you even knowing.

When you look at the amounts some people receive you get a feel for just how scummy the industry is.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »

Who did you use, mate?

Lovely!

Thanks very much, and curry on me if I get anything  Smiley

OK if you're adamant that you want to use a 3rd party just get them to check for you. They will do this free of charge. They probably wont tell you how much you're owed just that xxx owes you some money. At this point decline their offer to claim back and use resolver instead. You will have to answer or complete the same information whether you do it yourself or get the 3rd party to do it for you. Basically you will be giving away 20-30% of your money for no reason. More than happy to advise on the answers if you go your own way.

Ah! The element of surprise
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »

This is exactly the reason that if you had any loans or credit cards you need to check. If you got paid when you were sick then why did you need insurance? The answer is you didn't but they still gave it to you potentially without you even knowing.

When you look at the amounts some people receive you get a feel for just how scummy the industry is.

Dirty Cheesy

OK if you're adamant that you want to use a 3rd party just get them to check for you. They will do this free of charge. They probably wont tell you how much you're owed just that xxx owes you some money. At this point decline their offer to claim back and use resolver instead. You will have to answer or complete the same information whether you do it yourself or get the 3rd party to do it for you. Basically you will be giving away 20-30% of your money for no reason. More than happy to advise on the answers if you go your own way.

I'll have a look on MSE when I get five minutes, and work through it myself then.

Appreciate the offer of help, and will likely give you a shout when I get around to doing it.

Thank you Smiley

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »

Just shipped another 2.5k on PPI, didn’t expect that!  Shocked
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jan/31/money-saving-expert-how-martin-lewis-became-most-trusted-man-in-britain-consumer-finance-advice

Calling the Camel.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »

Forgot about this thread

Multiple Dwelling Relief!

If you ever buy a house with an annex make sure your solicitor ticks the multiple dwelling relief box, it could save you a fortune.

If they didn't then www.mdrclaims.com will help sue them.  Grin

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: