blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Car insurace for 17yos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car insurace for 17yos  (Read 2152 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »

Nephew has just hit 17 and was thinking of buying a car.

I found a couple of third party insurance quotes of around £350 for a 17yo with a provisional licence, but a mate sayed to check out quotes for a full licence holder aged 17 or 18, and it seems nobody will cover for less than £5k for a 17yo with a full licence.

Anyone got any advice?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »

Bicycle
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »

With 22yo and 19yo sons I can speak from recent experience. Before they pass their test, cheap as chips as you've found as someone else needs to be in the car. After passing, walletectomy required. We spent hours and hours on comparison sites trying every combo of car/additional drivers etc. From memory it was 1900 when the first was 17 and 1700 for the second. I'm still paying about £1000 now to insure their 207, neither have had an accident since they passed.

PS all these were with a black box. Without, all the quotes started with a 4.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »

I sympathise with this problem but having been a 17yo quite some time ago I can fully understand why it costs so much.

I wonder if 'smart' cars might be the way to bring down premiums?

I saw recently that the Tesla Model 3 can be restricted when it has a certain driver at the wheel, surely that sort of technology could lead to improved premiums? With GPS locating they could even be restricted to the speed limit +10% for example. How much damage could they cause then?

A car restricted to 80mph on the motorway and 35mph in built up areas would surely attract a reasonable discount?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »

My first insurance in 1974 was £120. I have full no claims bonus but it's still gone up double since then.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »

My lad went with these, you get a black box in the car checks speed,cornering etc gives a monthly update of how your driving. Seem to recall it was about £700 fully comp.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=ingenie+car+insurance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »

Yeah need one of those. And ~10 years ago a friend had one that didn't let you drive from 11pm-6am. That took plenty off
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »

My lad went with these, you get a black box in the car checks speed,cornering etc gives a monthly update of how your driving. Seem to recall it was about £700 fully comp.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=ingenie+car+insurance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

£1,396. Incred.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »

£1,396. Incred.

How important is the home address?.....does moving to Penzance help?
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »

£1,396. Incred.

just to add he also had an accident whilst with them (his fault) and there were no issues whatsoever.

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »

My 17 old lad used a company called A-Choice for his 3 year old VW Polo 1.4. On a provisional license the charge would have been circa £350 for 12 months, they offered him a deal that meant if he paid £1200 for 12 months insurance they would not increase his insurance when he passed his test. The estimated cost of insurance without this deal would have been £3K+ when he passed. Only condition was he couldn't pass within 3 months. This worked out well for him as he passed after 4 months. His first renewal came through at £1050.

This was fully comp with NO black box. I would rather him of had a blackbox but I just had to trust him.

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: