blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Car insurance question.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car insurance question.  (Read 2086 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »

A young driver that I know has run into the back of another vehicle causing minor damage to both.

He can do his own repairs for about £100, which seems worthwhile because his excess is £500.

Obviously he is at fault but his question is, when the other driver makes a claim against him will he still be liable to pay the excess? 

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »

A young driver that I know has run into the back of another vehicle causing minor damage to both.

He can do his own repairs for about £100, which seems worthwhile because his excess is £500.

Obviously he is at fault but his question is, when the other driver makes a claim against him will he still be liable to pay the excess? 

No, but his premium is likely to increase.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

No, but his premium is likely to increase.   

Cheers Doobs.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »

I was convinced Doobs had this wrong so I did a bit of research.

From Admirals website "No, the excess – both voluntary and compulsory – is the amount you pay towards your own claim or repairs, so you won’t have to pay the excess if a third party is claiming against you."

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/what-happens-when-someone-claims-against-my-car-insurance

Only took 27 years of having insurance to find this out.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:50:00 PM »

Can be an interesting exercise to guesstimate the repair cost at which it's +EV for the young driver to pay for the other drivers repairs directly rather than go through the insurance.

If the repairs were £700 or less I'd probably choose the direct route.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »

Can be an interesting exercise to guesstimate the repair cost at which it's +EV for the young driver to pay for the other drivers repairs directly rather than go through the insurance.

If the repairs were £700 or less I'd probably choose the direct route.

Once its reported though you have to declare it as an accident whether you claimed or not. Losing your no claims bonus would be a hit but if you don't have any yet.....

If they're going to penalise you for having a crash anyway you might as well get them to pay for the damage.

Far from an exact science isn't it

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 10:40:40 AM »

Also you gotta convince the third party your repair man will do a good job, all told prob best just going through insurance, for the third party part.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »

He knows the third party will make a successful claim, he just doesn't want to claim for his damage if it will cost £500 in excess.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: