blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  BBC pay
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC pay  (Read 1859 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »

BBC News - BBC pay: Claudia Winkleman, Zoe Ball and Vanessa Feltz among top earners
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48826586

Alan shearer.. Incred

sola virtus nobilitat
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:35:58 AM »

This BBC thing is getting up my nose - We really do not need to know what people get paid. It sets a dangerous precedent for public servants and so on to release their pay.

Alan Shearer is definitely incred though & o is Feltz, not really sure what either of them do to get paid that much
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 06:01:58 AM »

This BBC thing is getting up my nose - We really do not need to know what people get paid. It sets a dangerous precedent for public servants and so on to release their pay.

Alan Shearer is definitely incred though & o is Feltz, not really sure what either of them do to get paid that much

Why shouldn’t we be aware of pay levels within public bodies? We already know the pay scales for the civil service, teaching, police etc.

Shearer has a good agent. £440,000 divided by number of MOTD appearances means maybe £20k a go?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:46:05 AM »

Lineker is vastly over paid, £1.75m is a joke. They should offer him half that or ditch him at first opportunity.

Jermaine Jenas at £210,000 ? Shaking my head in disbelief.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »

Lineker is vastly over paid, £1.75m is a joke. They should offer him half that or ditch him at first opportunity.

Jermaine Jenas at £210,000 ? Shaking my head in disbelief.

This, but defo get rid of.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »

What is the market-rate for Lineker's job though? What would he get paid for a similar role at, say, Sky?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »

What is the market-rate for Lineker's job though? What would he get paid for a similar role at, say, Sky?

But ... does it matter?

If it were Sky, for example, and it was a show that actively attracted extra subscribers then it might makes sense - the argument being that without him they would lose more money than it cost to pay him.

But the BBC aren't a commercial network.

They don't have to worry about losing or gaining subscribers and they don't have to worry about appealing to advertisers.

If Lineker didn't accept a million less for his job and left for Sky the BBC could just replace him. If they lost x thousand viewers - would it matter?

And would they lose viewers? Are their any significant number of people really watching BBC sports just for the bits that Lineker does?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »

I don’t see the big problem with Gary Lineker getting that much. He presents the biggest show on BBC.

MOTD, PL show, FA Cup coverage, Euro/WC coverage (he’s away for 5 weeks).

Look over to ITV, Piers Morgan gets £1.5m just for GMB. Hundreds of thousands for stars on X-Factor/BGT. It looks the £1.75m for Lineker a bargain.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »

But ... does it matter?

If it were Sky, for example, and it was a show that actively attracted extra subscribers then it might makes sense - the argument being that without him they would lose more money than it cost to pay him.

They don't have to worry about losing or gaining subscribers and they don't have to worry about appealing to advertisers.

If Lineker didn't accept a million less for his job and left for Sky the BBC could just replace him. If they lost x thousand viewers - would it matter?

And would they lose viewers? Are their any significant number of people really watching BBC sports just for the bits that Lineker does?

Well it does to him Jon. He's perfectly entitled to seek the market rate for the job. And I'm not sure why the BBC should not compete, they aim to produce high class  TV, & for the most part, they do. Compare the BBC Channels with, say, Channel 5,perhaps the worst mainstream TV channel ever & you'll get the drift.

A BBC employing second-rate staff is not going to cut it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »

They definitely have to worry about appealing to public opinion, otherwise the license feed could be cut or scrapped altogether.

The license fee is not long for this world in my opinion.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »

But ... does it matter?

Well it does to him Jon. He's perfectly entitled to seek the market rate for the job. And I'm not sure why the BBC should not compete, they aim to produce high class  TV, & for the most part, they do. Compare the BBC Channels with, say, Channel 5,perhaps the worst mainstream TV channel ever & you'll get the drift.

A BBC employing second-rate staff is not going to cut it.

One element is economic - the BBC doesn't lose any money if they don't employ Lineker.

The other is qualitative though. Lineker does a great job and is very experienced now - but is he uniquely qualified for the job?

Is he really absolutely essential?

I don't really think that what he does makes so much of a difference to the BBC that with him they have a quality show and without him they have a poor one.

They definitely have to worry about appealing to public opinion, otherwise the license feed could be cut or scrapped altogether.

The license fee is not long for this world in my opinion.

That would be my preferred option - they're acting like a commercial network now, so they might as well be a commercial network.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »

Having watched the coverage from the womens World Cup, I can see why Lineker is paid so much. The coverage, commentary and calibre of pundit/guests has been absolutely woeful. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: